Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

57 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Grealish-esque yesterday. 

I swear the guy has hit the woodwork about 7 times this season as well. Ludicrously unlucky. 

I don't think he was quite that good.

He was definitely our best player, and deserved a goal or two.

Still lost the ball in some good areas and tried a bit too much at times when a simple pass and keeping possession would have been the better choice.

If he maintains that level every game, he'll be very tough to drop though. That's the test for him.

Young, Digne, Ramsey, Buendia & Bailey: Those five positions will switch and change around a bit this second half of the season IMO.

• Like 2

I think the issue is that people expect him to be Grealish-esque when he's at his best when he's not. 

He's at his most ineffective when trying to grab the ball from the defenders or trying to carry it too far and beat more defenders than he physically can.

I think Unai has instructed him and he is listening to stay in specific spaces during the build up to help link up play and then to stay in specific spaces in the final third so he's closer to be able to play that killer ball, take a shot, or beat just 1 or 2 defenders and not 3 or 4 like he's tried before.

14 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Grealish-esque yesterday. 

I swear the guy has hit the woodwork about 7 times this season as well. Ludicrously unlucky. 

Add to that all the extra assists he could have had with some better finishing.

On 05/02/2023 at 03:44, TheMightyVillans said:

what a shame this performance resulted in a loss. Ran the show. His header from the corner was incredibly good.

@Delphinho123might not like him but he is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment. 

FTFY 😝

• Haha 3

On 05/02/2023 at 03:44, TheMightyVillans said:

what a shame this performance resulted in a loss. Ran the show. His header from the corner was incredibly good.

People might not like him but he is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment. 

How can anyone not like our best player ?

it’s baffling for me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

How can anyone not like our best player ?

it’s baffling for me 

Because he's inconsistent. (I like him, but that's why some don't, and even I can find him frustrating.)

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

He's really evolving as a player - a lot more disciplined now and smarter in his use of energy. He's always had the technical ability but before he'd just run around like a loon. Looking a lot more measured these days. 

If he can keep that up, he will be much more consistent and much more valuable. The ability is there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomC said:

Because he's inconsistent. (I like him, but that's why some don't, and even I can find him frustrating.)

If he can keep that up, he will be much more consistent and much more valuable. The ability is there.

I'm one of his biggest fans and I have to agree.

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not a big fan but he played very well on Saturday. Always said my biggest issue with him is when he loses possession in dangerous areas and he only did that once on Saturday so was an improvement. Hopefully he can continue that kind of performance.

Can't lose the ball in dangerous areas if you're not in the dangerous areas in the first place!

Stay between the lines Emi!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TomC said:

I understand the frustration, but for mine it comes from other sources in the team - mostly Bailey and Ramsey

I think inconsistency comes with the role. Going back through some of our more creative central midfield players, it seems it was ever thus:

• Merson
  • Hendrie
  • Delph
  • Holman
  • Ireland
  • Hourihane
  • Lansbury
  • Barkley (though he was the most consistent: Almost always poor)

26 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I understand the frustration, but for mine it comes from other sources in the team - mostly Bailey and Ramsey

I think inconsistency comes with the role. Going back through some of our more creative central midfield players, it seems it was ever thus:

• Merson
  • Hendrie
  • Delph
  • Holman
  • Ireland
  • Hourihane
  • Lansbury
  • Barkley (though he was the most consistent: Almost always poor)

Going back further, you could say Mark Draper...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Yeah. Definitely our greatest player ever (at least as far as my fandom spans).

Without going completely off topic, Ashley Young first spell gets overlooked and was better than Grealish 

Â