Weekends Football 14/15 May

andykeenan

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I mean yes, of course I want us to finish as high as we can, but there isn't a trophy for 10th, the money matters a little bit, but in big picture terms the difference between 10th and 11th isn't going to change the direction the football club is going. I want us to finish as high as we can, but I can't say as I'm bothered whether Leeds finish 1st of last, they don't bother me much, I don't think about them any more than I think about Palace or Southampton or for that matter Burnley either, other than hoping Ben Men gets put into a cast at some point so he can spend a few months reflecting on what he's spent his career doing.

Nor was I til we got an influx of their cabbagey fans on this site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

Agreed but not totally unpredicted.

Similarly to Sheff U last year, I think there's a lot to be said about having a well-drilled system that has been practised with the same players over a few years before coming up. 

We had to restart when we were first promoted and have done really well considering the new signings that came in this year too. 

Right, off to throw up.

Leeds are very different to Sheffield United.

Leeds are dominating games and scoring for fun.

What they are doing is much more sustainable.

Leeds wont just fall off next season as long as Bielsa is in charge. 

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

They're a very good team. Unfortunately.

Nope.

Their squad is actually really bad, just a really good coach.

Put a Parker or a Bruce in charge of that team and they are going down. 100 %

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Leeds are very different to Sheffield United.

Leeds are dominating games and scoring for fun.

What they are doing are much more sustainable.

Leeds wont just fall off next season as long as Bielsa is in charge. 

I didn't suggest they would fall away next season. They'll be strong again no doubt.

But there is definitely a similarity in the fact they're were both recently promoted clubs, using a well embedded style of play to be successful in their first season back in the premier league.

We didnt have that when we came up.

2 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I didn't suggest they would fall away next season. They'll be strong again no doubt.

But there is definitely a similarity in the fact they're were both recently promoted clubs, using a well embedded style of play to be successful in their first season back in the premier league.

We didnt have that when we came up.

Bielsa is a top class coach though Wilder isn't.

Makes all the difference.

People may not rate him because he doesn't win major trophies but he makes teams pretty damn good.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bielsa is a top class coach though Wilder isn't.

Makes all the difference.

People may not rate him because he doesn't win major trophies but he makes teams pretty damn good.

You told everybody last season that Wilder was a superior coach and that Maupay was top class 

Almost like fishing 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You told everybody last season that Wilder was a superior coach and that Maupay was top class 

Almost like fishing 

It's almost like Bielsa is doing a lot better than you predicted before the season

Saying a team might not be as good next season as they have been this season, doesn't mean to say they have to be as bad as Sheffield United have been, so not sure why they keep getting brought up, as if that's the only example of a team losing form from one season to the next.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Nope.

Their squad is actually really bad, just a really good coach.

Put a Parker or a Bruce in charge of that team and they are going down. 100 %

You're literally arguing with everyone here. At some point you have to accept it might be you who is wrong, rather than the majority, no matter how right you feel

For what it's worth, Llorente, Ayling, Phillips, Harrison, Rodrigo and Raphinha are all quality players. Bamford, while a shithouse, has shown himself an able striker at this level too.

So you're wrong tbh, it's extremely unlikely they'd go down unless the majority of those leave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

You're literally arguing with everyone here. At some point you have to accept it might be you who is wrong, rather than the majority, no matter how right you feel

For what it's worth, Llorente, Ayling, Phillips, Harrison, Rodrigo and Raphinha are all quality players. Bamford, while a shithouse, has shown himself an able striker at this level too.

So you're wrong tbh, it's extremely unlikely they'd go down unless the majority of those leave.

LEt's see what these players do once Bielsa leaves

Leeds squad really isn't that great, most of them were playing with Leeds when they were a midtable championship team, they spent some money in the summer, but only a few of them have made an impact, and for the most part they've been playing the team that got them promoted, again the team that before Bielsa arrived was very average.

What has helped them a lot this season is the form of Bamford and Harrison, those two are having better seasons in the premier league than they ever did in the championship.

Their success is more about the system than the individual players, in that sense they remind me a little of Wolves, who similarly had a bunch of players that were at best average in the championship before Nuno arrived, Douglas, Coady and Doherty being the obvious examples off the top of my head, but in the system that Nuno instilled looked very good, but then take them out of that well drilled system and they don't look as good, see Doherty at Spurs, or Coady when Wolves try to play with a back four.

Leeds have done fantastically well. Excellent manager as well for a club their size as well and I mean that as they were in the Championship when they appointed him.

Interesting to see how much they spend this summer. 

• Like 1

Â