Weekends Football 14/15 May

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Another MON masterclass signing for us, iirc we payed £2million to have him on loan plus his wages 

Tbf, up until that night at Wembley he looked brilliant. 
He was never the same after that.

• Like 1

Some potentially cracking games tonight in Serie A with Juve vs Inter and Roma vs Lazio.

And then there is also the final round in the Turkish league where all the 3 big Istanbul clubs are still in with a shot of the title.

FA Cup Final today 

Used to be a huge event in the football calendar. 

Couldn't give a monkeys now. 

I'll watch someone repairing an old car on YouTube instead. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xela said:

FA Cup Final today 

Same here, remember the days when it was an event and having been to a few Villa finals, win or lose, the day is something special. 

Back in the day it would be a whole special day of it on both channels, meeting fans, real ones that have dream's of finals and are actually going to one, real honest good old days.

Caught a little of football focus and they had a little piece with what looked like 19/20 year old actors bigging up Tuchel, all in NEW tops, word perfect, with on screen pop ups repeating what they were saying, from the heart? was it ****

Felt sick and switched off and doubt very much I'll watch the final.

• Like 1

Hope Burnley win even though I don't like them.

Funnily enough when I search for Villatalk on my phone, three items below is a Burnley forum where their fans are ripping us to bits after our reactions to losing to them 3-2.

Comments on the same page include 'entitled' and 'Neanderthal". Oh and of course the Sheffield United goal line technology blip.

They also don't think Ben Mee is a thug.

Conveniently forgot to mention two of our players getting season long injuries from them.

Oh well, I'll enjoy it all the more when we batter them next time.

Burnley been hopeless so far, this is why I doubt Dyche could move up the ladder and manage top 6/7 club compared to a few others in the bottom half. The football he coaches week in week out is far too limited, there's no way Leicester would be looking to him to replace Rodgers for example as it's one extreme to another.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, Xela said:

FA Cup Final today 

Watched the german cup final Thursday, it was fathers day and a bank holiday (ze germans don't **** about) 

Was a brilliant game and still an event 

One thing I loved that I've seen a couple of times with German football now is the subs, coaches, hangers on etc still make a bit of noise, there was even a chant from the dortmund bench at the end of the game, about as much atmosphere as 50 people can make but it still made a big difference

Would be great if Leicester generated some energy from the stands as the 3rd choice keeper who travelled down with the squad gets in to the game and cheers his team on 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Watched the german cup final Thursday, it was fathers day and a bank holiday (ze germans don't **** about) 

Was a brilliant game and still an event 

One thing I loved that I've seen a couple of times with German football now is the subs, coaches, hangers on etc still make a bit of noise, there was even a chant from the dortmund bench at the end of the game, about as much atmosphere as 50 people can make but it still made a big difference

Would be great if Leicester generated some energy from the stands as the 3rd choice keeper who travelled down with the squad gets in to the game and cheers his team on 

22k in Wembley today so that won't be an issue as they'll all be placed in the bottom tier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Burnley been hopeless so far, this is why I doubt Dyche could move up the ladder and manage top 6/7 club compared to a few others in the bottom half. The football he coaches week in week out is far too limited, there's no way Leicester would be looking to him to replace Rodgers for example as it's one extreme to another.

Hes done well considering the transfer budget there. If he had better players he would play a different way.  Leeds have far too much pace for them. 

Just now, PaulC said:

Hes done well considering the transfer budget there. If he had better players he would play a different way.  Leeds have far too much pace for them. 

Yes he does well to keep them up year in year out so I respect that but I don't believe he'd expand football style if he had more money, he'd just buy 25-30m players to fit into his narrow 4-4-2 long ball style rather than the 5-15m ones he signs.

He's very MON imo, solid and hard to beat but 4-4-2 and up and down the lines dosen't really interest the top teams. They'll also be wondering why he dosen't like signing foreign players very much....

Potter has more of a shot at working for top 7-8 club in future imo as I've said before.

It's similar to when Pulis late on at Stoke signed the likes of Tuncay, Owen, Palacios and Eidur Gudjohnsen and everyone said the style would be better....and within about 5 games he frozen them all out as they couldn't fit into his system so were all pointless signings in the end.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes he does well to keep them up year in year out so I respect that but I don't believe he'd expand football style if he had more money, he'd just buy 25-30m players to fit into his narrow 4-4-2 long ball style rather than the 5-15m ones he signs.

He's very MON imo, solid and hard to beat but 4-4-2 and up and down the lines dosen't really interest the top teams. They'll also be wondering why he dosen't like signing foreign players very much....

Potter has more of a shot at working for top 7-8 club in future imo as I've said before.

It's similar to when Pulis late on at Stoke signed the likes of Tuncay, Owen, Palacios and Eidur Gudjohnsen and everyone said the style would be better....and within about 5 games he frozen them all out as they couldn't fit into his system so were all pointless signings in the end.

Hes only managed Doran Rovers (whoever they are) and Burnley so we'll never know unless he gets a big club but you could be right. 

The FA Cup is dire now as a competition. Great for smaller clubs at the beginning to force a few upsets and increase their income for the season which I'm all in favour of, but if you're a PL club trying to focus on getting into Europe (or stay/compete in Europe), the League Cup which has less games to play and is better structured is really a more exciting competition now.

Until they change the structure and award the 4th qualification spot for the CL to the FA Cup champions, it will continue to decline in importance for the 'top' clubs in English football.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

Â