Midweek Football 10/13 May

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, andym said:

He moved his leg towards the tackling player, made contact and fell over

Co-commentator called it clever

I’d love to see the refs wave these away, or better still book the attacker.

All they have to say is they don’t believe the minimal contact brought the player down, therefore it’s cheating.

Contact does not equal foul.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sne said:

Race for the title in Turkey is a corker. Fenerbahce and Besiktas both losing at home today while Galatasaray won big meaning it's all to play for in the final found on Saturday.

Besiktas & Gala both on 81 points with +44 and +42 in GD while Fenerbahce sits 3rd on 79 points and +30. Fenerbahce also has the most difficult game so they likely threw their chances away tonight. Will be riots in the yellow and Blue part of Istanbul.

Samatta doing anything there?

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Tuchel has now managed Chelsea against:

• Zidane
  • Guardiola (twice)
  • Klopp
  • Mourinho
  • Ancelotti
  • Simeone (twice)

He's won all eight of those games.

Chelsea conceded one goal in total in those eight games.

Chelsea are in the FA Cup Final and the Champion's League final.

I'd say he's got a chance.

Yes and I fully expect them to win the FA Cup final but would rather leicester did

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Samatta doing anything there?

Nah, not really. Didn't even get off the bench today even thou they were chasing a goal.

Has 5 goals all season.

Just now, sne said:

Nah, not really. Didn't even get off the bench today even thou they were chasing a goal.

Has 5 goals all season.

How do we keep finding these....I'm sure Cameron Jerome hit double figures in Turkish league when he was out there a few years back.

Yet more great work from Suso.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How do we keep finding these....I'm sure Cameron Jerome hit double figures in Turkish league when he was out there a few years back.

Yet more great work from Suso.

HE got 5 apparently as his highest in a season in Turkey

4 hours ago, Xela said:

He's done a fantastic job there over the years. They've spent **** all this season. 

Still can’t decide if he’s decent or incredibly lucky. Burnley are poo, but always survive. 

Hats off to Leicester for how they've developed over the passed 5-10 years.  It does prove to everyone else that the fabled big 6 aren't unbreakable. 👏 

All managers have bad spells, the problem with Dyche at somewhere like Spurs is that they’ll want him out as soon as he loses a couple.

A bigger name like Conte for example would get more time.

13 hours ago, andym said:

He moved his leg towards the tackling player, made contact and fell over

Co-commentator called it clever

In fairness, as long as they keep getting penalties for it, it is clever.

It's the game that's stupid.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

All managers have bad spells, the problem with Dyche at somewhere like Spurs is that they’ll want him out as soon as he loses a couple.

A bigger name like Conte for example would get more time.

No different than Smith here, one or two losses its a disaster yet Bruce was given multiple excuses because he had a previous track record 

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No different than Smith here, one or two losses its a disaster yet Bruce was given multiple excuses because he had a previous track record 

Quite different to Smith I think in several ways.

Spurs fans will expect a “name” who will hit the ground running. If there’s a dip there will be some patience due to the track record.

Bruce had the track record of getting teams promoted hence why we persevered with him.

Dyche doesn’t have a history of winning trophies, qualifying or progressing through the champions league which is what they want to be doing. The knives will be out as soon as he’s announced. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Dyche doesn’t have a history of winning trophies, qualifying or progressing through the champions league which is what they want to be doing. The knives will be out as soon as he’s announced. 

Spurs dont have a track record of winning trophies either 😉

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

Quite different to Smith I think in several ways.

Spurs fans will expect a “name” who will hit the ground running. If there’s a dip there will be some patience due to the track record.

Bruce had the track record of getting teams promoted hence why we persevered with him.

I think spurs have a get a name, they're already seen as pretenders and a joke that they've been stuck in this big 6 nonsense 

Can you imagine if they got dyche or Potter now? They'd be laughed out of town 

They'll get a manager who has been higher than they have, regardless of his age or current ability, they'll want "league winner" on his CV

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Spurs dont have a track record of winning trophies either 😉

No they don’t, but they want to be, expect to be, and want someone at the helm who knows how to do it.

15 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d love to see the refs wave these away, or better still book the attacker.

All they have to say is they don’t believe the minimal contact brought the player down, therefore it’s cheating.

Contact does not equal foul.

More and more over the course of this season have I begun moving my focus of attention away from match officials and match rules and firmly on to the players, who, by and large, seem to be immune from any real criticism.

Gamesmanship/Sportsmanship has just become accepted, and in the case of the latter it’s anything but sporting so for it to be termed sportsmanship is highly ironic.

Its just constant cheating and seeking to gain that 1% advantage, forget the blatant diving for a moment and consider how players now have to perch the ball on the very edge of the corner marker (when taking a corner), gaining 10-20 yards every time there’s a throw in, time wasting, feigning injuries, the yelps of immense pain when they’re barely touched and the subsequent rolling on the floor holding the knee.

Then you move into the going to ground with minimal contact and attacking players initiating contact stuff.

If anyone is ruining football it’s the players, not the refs or VAR or UEFA or Sky, they need to take more accountability and pride in themselves, and we need to stop accepting it as being okay. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

More and more over the course of this season have I begun moving my focus of attention away from match officials and match rules and firmly on to the players, who, by and large, seem to be immune from any real criticism.

Gamesmanship/Sportsmanship has just become accepted, and in the case of the latter it’s anything but sporting so for it to be termed sportsmanship is highly ironic.

Its just constant cheating and seeking to gain that 1% advantage, forget the blatant diving for a moment and consider how players now have to perch the ball on the very edge of the corner marker (when taking a corner), gaining 10-20 yards every time there’s a throw in, time wasting, feigning injuries, the yelps of immense pain when they’re barely touched and the subsequent rolling on the floor holding the knee.

Then you move into the going to ground with minimal contact and attacking players initiating contact stuff.

If anyone is ruining football it’s the players, not the refs or VAR or UEFA or Sky, they need to take more accountability and pride in themselves, and we need to stop accepting it as being okay. 

Pundits should be shaming these players, instead they praise them.

I watched the game last night. During the game the commentary praised Zaha for his clever play winning the penalty.

Then after the game Darren Bent and Clinton Morrison were giving analysis, Morrison said “it was a definite penalty”. Then the host (who’s name I forget) said “look at this, look at his right leg”, they play the clip where he moves his leg to get a contact, his knee is already collapsing before the very, very minimal touch.

Clinton said it was clever play by Zaha.

Its obviously ex-players not wanting to slag off current players. They are all part of the problem.

Â