Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/04/21 at 22:59

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Paul, if that game, doesn't send the alarm bells ringing, I don't know what will......Man City, is a distraction to the way we played, we have been like this for months......Only Man City, will create any mitigation, some folk will cling to.....it was turgid.

Thomas Tuchel and Bowyer, have demonstrated the same team with indifferent performances can be improved, without signing players.....Dean needs to get a gripe of this...sharpish.

Yes make no mistake but for the sending off of Stones that was heading for a 1-5 score-line. I have rarely seen a more one sided first half. It was like the Reme Garde days. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Until you start to realise it's the manor of the losses, not the actual losses, you may aswell not watch another game again just check the results.

Exactly it's not the defeats by themselves it's the manner.

It's the lack of fight, urgency and aggression.

Are people not realizing games are just passing us by?

How can people not be concerned?

• Like 1

So apparently young people are losing interest in football according to one of the pro ESL voices.

Well that was a complete and utter borefest. I said it before a few years ago when we were away at Spurs under McLeish, again we looked like one of those demonstration teams that used to go out annually on the court at the Empire Pool Wembley in the 60s and 70s in order for the Harlem Globetrotters to strut their stuff. A May Bank Holiday treat for BBC1 viewers alongside Disney Time. It’s a good job we got points in the board cause this is currently relegation form.

Citeh didn't have to break a sweat, we looked like ball watching admirers and what the coaching staff are doing is lost on all of us. We got no where near them and they dominated through out the game, we need a wake up call and the soft life for the pampered pets has to stop. If you let your pooches lie in bed all day they become fat and lazy.

Ok so I'm not too worried about us losing to one of the best teams in the world. They're so dominant this season that it's basically no competition.

However our form over the past couple of months is actually becoming a bit of a concern now. I think that we lack aggression as @TRO pointed out. We don't close down the opposition fast enough in our midfield leaving them to play freely. Also we do not move fast enough to provide passing options to our team mates leading to a lot of gifted passes to the opposition and hoofs to get out of danger. I feel like a lot of our players are ball watching way too much and it's not helping us one bit. It leaves us having to chase the game constantly which sucks the energy out of our team slowly over a game. Even then we don't run nearly as much as we should.

It's getting harder and harder to ignore these issues now and they have to start getting addressed. This isn't nearly as much of a problem when Jack is playing because he's not afraid to hold on to the ball and take players on. Is there trust issues? We are definitely a very passive team as things stand.

What gives me hope is that we have shown what we are capable of earlier in the season with the same personell.

Over to the coaching team and the players. These issues have to be rooted out sooner rather than later.

Poor. Again.

Difficult to see what the issue is here: safety breeds complacency? Coaching? Midfield and forwards (except Watkins) not good enough?

What I do know is something drastic needs to change, sick of hearing about Grealish's absence this has nothing to do with what is going on.

What I can say is that Targett for me is up for Player of the Season, he was more than solid again yesterday. Watkins is quality and we need to build a system around him as much as around Grealish. We just have nothing on the bench that can change a game, and seem to play the same way every minute of every game. Our midfield doesnt work on any level - its no longer creative, it has no pace or snap, the movement and interplay is slow and predictable (Man City are the exact opposite). Luiz and McGinn got a goal and an assist in the first 20 seconds which is great but doesn't let them off everything thereafter which remains lacking. I thought Ramsey was promising and he does show a bit of bite and determination which is great to see in a youngster.

A lot of work is needed to push on, we are barely above circling-the-drain on these performances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes make no mistake but for the sending off of Stones that was heading for a 1-5 score-line. I have rarely seen a more one sided first half. It was like the Reme Garde days. 

I agree but West Ham have done this in games against the Top 6 and I can see why we did it without our main attacking threat.

I do think it's wrong and I also don't think we were set up very well to do this.

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Some people blame Smith any time we don't win, it's weird.

And some people don't put any blame on Smith even when we are showing clear relegation form and have been for the last dozen games or so.  That is more weird??

He is the manager.  He has been given players/resources that very few outside of the big 6 have been given over the last couple of years.

We have seen what we are capable of BUT there is something drastically wrong at the minute.  He clearly sees it as he is always honest enough to admit to it but he equally clearly does not seem able to diagnose what the problem is or to find a solution for it.  That is worrying?!

Surely, this is, at least in part, down to the Manager?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Your use of punctuation reminds me of the way the black kid in the wheelchair talks.

I'll get me 

Coat

just lazy writing, sorry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

And some people don't put any blame on Smith even when we are showing clear relegation form and have been for the last dozen games or so.  That is more weird??

He is the manager.  He has been given players/resources that very few outside of the big 6 have been given over the last couple of years.

We have seen what we are capable of BUT there is something drastically wrong at the minute.  He clearly sees it as he is always honest enough to admit to it but he equally clearly does not seem able to diagnose what the problem is or to find a solution for it.  That is worrying?!

Surely, this is, at least in part, down to the Manager?

Plenty of things I'd contest there. Old ground.

I don't think Smith has quite reached "fighting for his job" territory yet, but he's charging down that road very quickly.

Everyone will be concerned at our performances, if Purslow isn't then he needs to get his eye on the ball.

Six games left. I think if he we don't play well in two he'll get sacked. Unacceptable to end the season like this.

Edited by Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure what you are contesting - it seems like we are pretty much agreed??😉

You are probably a bit stronger than me as I don't think he will lose his job in the short term.  I might be wrong though - it has been known ... on the odd occasion.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

We was mullered in terms of possession....we have some players mainly midfield that are light on the ball, a mere breeze, would knock them off it.

Just now, barry'sboots said:

You are probably a bit stronger than me as I don't think he will lose his job in the short term.  I might be wrong though - it has been known ... on the odd occasion.

Unless I see something that changes my mind I'm probably heading toward the same position I was at the end of last season.

Partways with a handshake, about £5m and an acknowledgement he's done incredible work here. Something isn't working and it's easier to change head coach than 6/7/8 squad players.

I'm not there yet though.

The players are really not doing their bit for him at the moment and there's a lot that are massively let him down. Why is that? What's changed? Is covid any factor? I cannot accept this many players dipping at the same time, and I don't think Smith will.

I waited awhile from posting...

Man City are 'light years' away from us, it was actually frightening watching them rip us apart last night.

Yes they have a great coach, allegedly one of the best but I'm sure I saw a list recently of how much Guardiola had spent on his defenders alone. Over £500 million (I think).

We should not be too despondent, they have spent for ten years and constantly improved. Villa went backwards in those years and it is going to take some time and I am in no doubt Villa need absolute MASSIVE investment. It's the only way.

Problem is unless we break into the top four by pure fluke it is not going to happen. We might get into the top eight next season but who knows?

I think we are relying on others around us to falter such as Liverplop, Spuds etc to help us get further up the league. This season seemed like an opportunity but unfortunately we did not take the opportunity.

Benteke seemed to be close to the exit-door at Palace in January, I still think a six-month contract would really have helped us. I'm sure he would have scored a few with the service and helped us solidify a top ten place. If not Benteke I can't think of a better player to help Watkins out.

We are going to get twelfth now as I think Wolves are looking good so they will hunt us down next!

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

Ok so I'm not too worried about us losing to one of the best teams in the world. They're so dominant this season that it's basically no competition.

However our form over the past couple of months is actually becoming a bit of a concern now. I think that we lack aggression as @TRO pointed out. We don't close down the opposition fast enough in our midfield leaving them to play freely. Also we do not move fast enough to provide passing options to our team mates leading to a lot of gifted passes to the opposition and hoofs to get out of danger. I feel like a lot of our players are ball watching way too much and it's not helping us one bit. It leaves us having to chase the game constantly which sucks the energy out of our team slowly over a game. Even then we don't run nearly as much as we should.

It's getting harder and harder to ignore these issues now and they have to start getting addressed. This isn't nearly as much of a problem when Jack is playing because he's not afraid to hold on to the ball and take players on. Is there trust issues? We are definitely a very passive team as things stand.

What gives me hope is that we have shown what we are capable of earlier in the season with the same personell.

Over to the coaching team and the players. These issues have to be rooted out sooner rather than later.

I totally agree with all that and it is the centre of my concern.

I don't know the answer to our ills....is it coaching or is it player personnel or a bit of both.

There is no doubt, when you play against Man City, you know they have better players that us, but you have to make up for that, with fight, endeavour, belligerence, we have to find the energy to disrupt teams, not just stand off and semi press, we need some full blown challnges to let them know they are in a game.....we are passive and powder puff, waiting for a break in play to start our attacks or rely on the defence to win the ball and have the whole pitch to play through.......where is the high ball turnover, so we haven't got far to run to strike.....why do we surrender midfield so easily and choose to retreat, so recover the ball.....This is pants football.

We need to rethink this midfield format and have robust players who can win the ball higher up field and play the offensive players in.....There is a parodox at work here in my view....the players we go after, to be good on the ball and the very players who lose it so regularly.

We either need to buy new one in....or coach the existing ones to be more robust in possession and not so easily relieved of the damn thing.

These players need to be driven, not pampered.

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think Smith has quite reached "fighting for his job" territory yet, but he's charging down that road very quickly.

Everyone will be concerned at our performances, if Purslow isn't then he needs to get his eye on the ball.

Six games left. I think if he we don't play well in two he'll get sacked. Unacceptable to end the season like this.

Tom, Its piss poor.....we are not succumbing to heavy defeats, like relegation teams, that has to be a credit to parts or our team.....some players are doing well....some are coasting.

Jack might be the golden boy, But Ollie is not far behind for me and not tempting fate, but his injury record is excemplary.

But this outfit, lacks aggression, natural aggression, not dirty play, robust challenges and defiance without the ball....a total willingness to go after players.

That is Deans Job for me.....I want Dean to stay with us, and progress the team, but I also want to see more of a desire to win and a refusal to accept losing as easy as it seems to me ,right now.

If they are on the beach, He has no place being manager, he needs to remind our lot in no uncertain terms that we have a season to finish and only 110% effort and commitment will do....No more standing off, get stuck in, even if the spectacle is ugly for a few games.

Passive is Pants.

34 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

We don't know how the wheels of the hierarchy work.....but I can guarantee, that going on losing runs during seasons, won't sit comfortable with ambitious owners.

We have seen this now in the 3 seasons....even before the 10 game winning run, we had a poor build up to it........We saved ourselves last season by the skin of our teeth and here we are again having a poor run of form and losing games so easily....after a magnificent start.

It's definately peaks and troughs we are seeing....I just Hope Dean has a plausible explanation, why that is.....NSWE has spent huge sums of money on transfers, with little in return, in terms of sales.....I don't think they will take too kindly finishing the season on a whimper.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

going on losing runs during seasons, won't sit comfortable with ambitious owners....I just Hope Dean has a plausible explanation, why that is..

I know. I mean why is only Villa who have losing runs?

What's that? Oh!. Apparently it happens to everyone else too. it's almost like other teams try to win games as well, and sometimes there are injuries to key players, illness, suspensions, loss of confidence, mistakes, refereeing errors, fatigue...

I think, in a nice way, you fret too much about it, tbh.

And sometimes it's just a case of "their side is better than ours" for a few games.

• Like 1

Â