Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/04/21 at 22:59

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

I totally agree with all that and it is the centre of my concern.

I don't know the answer to our ills....is it coaching or is it player personnel or a bit of both.

There is no doubt, when you play against Man City, you know they have better players that us, but you have to make up for that, with fight, endeavour, belligerence, we have to find the energy to disrupt teams, not just stand off and semi press, we need some full blown challnges to let them know they are in a game.....we are passive and powder puff, waiting for a break in play to start our attacks or rely on the defence to win the ball and have the whole pitch to play through.......where is the high ball turnover, so we haven't got far to run to strike.....why do we surrender midfield so easily and choose to retreat, so recover the ball.....This is pants football.

We need to rethink this midfield format and have robust players who can win the ball higher up field and play the offensive players in.....There is a parodox at work here in my view....the players we go after, to be good on the ball and the very players who lose it so regularly.

We either need to buy new one in....or coach the existing ones to be more robust in possession and not so easily relieved of the damn thing.

These players need to be driven, not pampered.

It is the system TRO or the lack of I should say. 

I'm really sorry to go back to them as I know people in here don't like them but did you see Leeds play against Liverpool without their starman? 

They dominated them for big parts. Every player in that club knows their role to the teeth. They play with a completely different intensity than we do. They're aggressive, never stop running. 

This is down to the system. Not personnel. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

I know. I mean why is only Villa who have losing runs?

What's that? Oh!. Apparently it happens to everyone else too. it's almost like other teams try to win games as well, and sometimes there are injuries to key players, illness, suspensions, loss of confidence, mistakes, refereeing errors, fatigue...

I think, in a nice way, you fret too much about it, tbh.

And sometimes it's just a case of "their side is better than ours" for a few games.

Well, maybe I do, or maybe I see realism.....I hope the owners are as willing to accept the mitigation you mention, as much as you do.

Pete, this is not a case of getting ahead of oursleves and plotting unrealistic expectations.....this is about, showing up and serving up sloppy, passive play on a regular basis since c Xmas time.

We need some perspective here, no one inc me, is asking for European football, which was pie in the sky, for me.....we are asking for a more pugnacious approach to trying to win a game of football.....The passiveness, right now Vapid.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Well, maybe I do, or maybe I see realism.....I hope the owners are as willing to accept the mitigation you mention, as much as you do.

Pete, this is not a case of getting ahead of oursleves and plotting unrealistic expectations.....this is about, showing up and serving up sloppy, passive play on a regular basis since c Xmas time.

We need some perspective here, no one inc me, is asking for European football, which was pie in the sky, for me.....we are asking for a more pugnacious approach to trying to win a game of football.....The passiveness, right now Vapid.

But but, we have had a successful season and all expectations have been met, whatever happens in the last few games????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

But but, we have had a successful season and all expectations have been met, whatever happens in the last few games????

Deck Chairs, I imagine.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's a ridiculous loser mentality bud.

If the club and fans had this mentality we'd be heading nowhere. 

9 hours ago, blandy said:

I know. I mean why is only Villa who have losing runs?

What's that? Oh!. Apparently it happens to everyone else too. it's almost like other teams try to win games as well, and sometimes there are injuries to key players, illness, suspensions, loss of confidence, mistakes, refereeing errors, fatigue...

I think, in a nice way, you fret too much about it, tbh.

And sometimes it's just a case of "their side is better than ours" for a few games.

PL form table from last 12 matches:

image.png.3a96cd164fd3081957377917a4030be4.png

Like TRO, I am not sure that was what the owners envisaged having spent £200m+ over the last couple of years! 

That probably paints us in an unfairly positive light as (1) the run in is tougher than those 12 games and (2) we have probably rivalled Sheff Utd as the worst team in the league over that period - performed poorly with the points gained largely attributable to our back 5 (that are top 6 quality imho).  There are a lot of sides that have been better than us for far more than a few games.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Like TRO, I am not sure that was what the owners envisaged having spent £200m+ over the last couple of years! 

I think it’s pretty much in line with expectations. Thinking back to when they took over, they talked of a plan to go back up first or second year. Having got up and had to do a squad rebuild, a thing other than “just stay up” would have been unrealistic. As it was we also got to the League Cup final. Then for this season the aim as far as we’ve been told was mid table. I suspect we’ll fall a bit short of that and certainly the hopes at one point, of challenging realistically for a European place are gone, so I get the disappointment. What I was taking slight issue with was @TRO’s view that “just Hope Dean has a plausible explanation” which to me implies that he is dubious as to whether there is one, or doesn’t think there’s one that is acceptable and that if the owners see it like him, Deano is toast.

9 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

image.png.3a96cd164fd3081957377917a4030be4.png

That probably paints us in an unfairly positive light as (1) the run in is tougher than those 12 games and (2) we have probably rivalled Sheff Utd as the worst team in the league over that period - performed poorly with the points gained largely attributable to our back 5 (that are top 6 quality imho).  There are a lot of sides that have been better than us for far more than a few games.

Absolutely shocking 

11 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

(3) Losing to 10 man Sheffield United

On 22/04/2021 at 07:30, Stratvillan said:

I was on about the leeds man City game.

So am I.

Leeds performance against City was better than ours.

They didn't make the individual errors we did, they pressed harder and higher up the pitch, they generally worked harder and created better opportunities than us.

Yeah, City had a lot of shots but they were mostly poor and long range.  City had much better, and more genuine chance (note i did not say shots) against us than against Leeds.

Leeds have been doing this all season.  Being very clinical and outworking better teams, and getting some reward for it.  They are everything we are not in good ways and bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

So am I.

Leeds performance against City was better than ours.

They didn't make the individual errors we did, they pressed harder and higher up the pitch, they generally worked harder and created better opportunities than us.

Yeah, City had a lot of shots but they were mostly poor and long range.  City had much better, and more genuine chance (note i did not say shots) against us than against Leeds.

Leeds have been doing this all season.  Being very clinical and outworking better teams, and getting some reward for it.  They are everything we are not in good ways and bad.

They have a system and style of  play we have not.

I have no clue what we're trying to do or what our identity is. I'd love for someone to tell me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

They have a system and style of  play we have not.

I have no clue what we're trying to do or what our identity is. I'd love for someone to tell me.

We had an identity earlier on in the season but now I haven't a clue what it is either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

We had an identity earlier on in the season but now I haven't a clue what it is either

It's amazing how far we are away from that team now.

Everybody was raving about us.  Wrighty was calling us the cool kids on the block.  Everyone was excited to watch us.

Now, i doubt whether there are many Villa fans who are particularly looking forward to watching us let alone neutrals? 🤔

• Like 2

Â