Breakaway League

Jareth

3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Our owners need to sell 51% of the shares to the fans like the Germans are doing.

Fans can't afford 51% of a club - where on earth would Villa fans generate £200m?

Season tickets sales only generate around £15m. You'd be looking at getting 100,000 fans to pay out £2,000 each for a membership.

Absolutely no chance.

The German model comes from a historic position that doesn't exist anymore - those shares were created and gifted from the outset.

• Like 3

Didn’t look at my phone for a couple of hours last night to avoid Line of Duty spoilers before watching it at around half 10. Picked up my phone after finishing it to have a look at episode reaction on Twitter...

pizza fire GIF

Not much to say that hasn’t been said, this is a disgusting move by these clubs and I feel they’ve really not predicted quite how big the outcry was going to be (English sides at least). Utterly ridiculous and laughable that Spurs are involved too... you can see the weasel Levy already doing the bidding of the bigger boys at his new canteen table by sacking JM this morning and distracting the press. Although I do like to think Mourinho has kicked off about the ESL behind the scenes.

Very interested to see the Premier League 14 clubs respond to this and hope they get their viewpoint out there sooner rather than later. If UEFA are serious about opposing it, they should be looking at stopping players from these clubs playing at the Euros (they won’t - and legally probably can’t as the league hasn’t started yet).

Sad day for football.

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

Interesting reporting from Kaveh Solhekol on Sky Sports News. Apparently some board members from these breakaway clubs aren't at all happy about the ESL more but don't have the power to do much against the owners. Apparently the owners expected this backlash but don't give a damn about it. Reports to that the owners don't give a damn about football integrity, only about earning more money and that if they are allowed to stay in their domestic divisions, they will mainly focus on ESL. 

Sky Sports News website.

What a utter disgrace.

oh there is definitely way more to come on this. we'll see managers and board members resign etc. players handing in transfer requests too

going to be an enjoyable ride, just hope it ends well

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fans can't afford 51% of a club - where on earth would Villa fans generate £200m?

Season tickets sales only generate around £15m. You'd be looking at getting 100,000 fans to pay out £2,000 each for a membership.

Absolutely no chance.

The German model comes from a historic position that doesn't exist anymore - those shares were created and gifted from the outset.

William might have some money lying around a palace or a golden chair he can pawn off.

If Hanks chips in a few million, we'll be sorted

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

oh there is definitely way more to come on this. we'll see managers and board members resign etc. players handing in transfer requests too

going to be an enjoyable ride, just hope it ends well

After the initial shock there's nothing that will stop this league and once the money rolls in.....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely no chance.

There are many ways to circumvent this. If the government enforces rules around this the club values will go down, the books will need to be properly analyzed. We can't sell the stadium to ourselves and fiddle the books. There's absolutely nothing better for football than if clubs are crowd-funded at least partially. Bayern and BVB are both known for being class, have great academies and essentially run themselves with their own profits. They're healthy financially.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

The amazing thing about the whole "spots for elite clubs that failed to qualify" nonsense is that this was obviously put in to stop a Super League happening and it has anyway but also that the "Super" clubs have set the new CL changes "weren't enough".

It begs the question, what the hell WOULD have been enough? 🤦‍♂️

They tried with their proposal where the top six literarely were running the Premier League  a couple of months ago. Since they didn't get it the way they wanted, they do this instead.

The breakaway clubs need their domestic competitions to justify their elite standing. Take away domestic competitions, they are just soulless, empty, plastic club participating in a league where they play each other many times during the season.

So just kick them out. New clubs will over time fill the void after these clubs. There are plenty of clubs with a great history that can do that. It's after all just marketing. 

We are still the 7th most successfull team in terms of trophies. One less than Spurs. 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

How will it work though, fans that want to watch all the games will have to subscribe to 12-15 different services?

I can't see how that is realistic.

Think of it as virtual tickets. I might be a Chelsea 'season pass' holder - so I've paid in advance to watch all of Chelsea's games. With that I might get a discount on away games or on the playoff - but for those games, I'd buy a virtual ticket. In much the same that if I want to see Villa home and away, I buy a season ticket at Villa Park and a match day ticket when we're away at Leicester.

So as a Chelsea fan I'd pay £150 for all Chelsea's home games, then a tenner for each of the four away games I wanted to watch, a tenner for the Real-Barca game I bought when I was drunk and bored and twenty quid for the final at the end of the season, even though Chelsea aren't in it.

6 minutes ago, chappy said:

Didn’t look at my phone for a couple of hours last night to avoid Line of Duty spoilers before watching it at around half 10. Picked up my phone after finishing it to have a look at episode reaction on Twitter...

pizza fire GIF

Not much to say that hasn’t been said, this is a disgusting move by these clubs and I feel they’ve really not predicted quite how big the outcry was going to be (English sides at least). Utterly ridiculous and laughable that Spurs are involved too... you can see the weasel Levy already doing the bidding of the bigger boys at his new canteen table by sacking JM this morning and distracting the press. Although I do like to think Mourinho has kicked off about the ESL behind the scenes.

Very interested to see the Premier League 14 clubs respond to this and hope they get their viewpoint out there sooner rather than later. If UEFA are serious about opposing it, they should be looking at stopping players from these clubs playing at the Euros (they won’t - and legally probably can’t as the league hasn’t started yet).

Sad day for football.

We truly are in the darkest timeline

1 minute ago, AXD said:

William might have some money lying around a palace or a golden chair he can pawn off.

If Hanks chips in a few million, we'll be sorted

It certainly wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that all the clubs are required to double the number of shares in circulation and give the newly created ones to fans for free (voting shares, not shares that entitle you to profits).

It wouldn't change too much given the existing owners of most clubs would still be the only significant individual shareholder and would therefore still effectively have full control over the club and revenues.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This piece of shit is the leader of it, FIFA should ban him for life for a start

What a load of tosh, 92% of my household says Andrea Agnelli is a turd that won't flush. Damn cat.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely no chance.

I’m sure Tom Hanks et al would be chomping at the bit to own ‘their’ club.......

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This piece of shit is the leader of it, FIFA should ban him for life for a start

Basically  a politicians way of turning the big issue against you into spin for the opposite. It shows they have completely ignored true fans & season ticket holders and instead surveyed the Asian/African etc fans and basically doctored the results accordingly. A complete load of BS carefully spun to try to counter the fact that they actually risk losing the fans over here and confirmation that they do not give a stuff about us UK based fans. Effectively saying we no longer matter we are old fashioned fans.

It's dispicable.

6 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

They tried with their proposal where the top six literarely were running the Premier League  a couple of months ago. Since they didn't get it the way they wanted, they do this instead.

The breakaway clubs need their domestic competitions to justify their elite standing. Take away domestic competitions, they are just soulless, empty, plastic club participating in a league where they play each other many times during the season.

So just kick them out. New clubs will over time fill the void after these clubs. There are plenty of clubs with a great history that can do that. It's after all just marketing. 

We are still the 7th most successfull team in terms of trophies. One less than Spurs. 

Wr have won a lot more than spurs, no way im including the Charity Shield wins on the trophy list 😂

Â