Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Do you think Watkins will be our main penalty taker again next year? 

Tielemans always took some great penalties El-Ghazi style for Leicester but then seems to miss a couple. Diaby has only taken 3 in his career scoring one, which was a long time ago so I doubt it will be him. 

I think Doug could be a classy penalty taker as he has a lot of composure, but can't recall him ever taking one. 

Midfield is a strange one- you'd think that the holding two would be Kamara and Luiz, and the two more forward guys McGinn and Ramsey - but where Tielemans fits into that will be interesting. There's some very good quality.

With Watkins up front, we'd then be looking at just one from Buendia, Diaby, Coutinho and Bailey behind him, and with rumours we're after another support forward, we'd be absolutely packed in there - I wonder if we'll change the shape at times to accommodate one or more of those.

We have four really good quality centrebacks for two spots, four really good quality support forwards for one spot, but only really five (or six if you include Dendoncker) really good quality central midfielders for what has usually been four spots - unless he's taken a liking to one or two of the youngsters, with Jacob Ramsey missing for a bit, we look thin in central midfielder behind the first four - do you think that's a place we need to invest?

We've got quality and depth in lots of places, perhaps need a right back, a back up keeper, a centre mid and a centre forward who can occupy centre backs to finish off the squad.

It's interesting that we're looking instead at more support striker/wide men - and I wonder if we're either being mis-reported or thinking of changing things up.

The Newcastle game will be very interesting.

Martinez, Olsen

Cash

Carlos, Konsa, Chambers

Mings, Torres, Hause

Moreno, Digne

Kamara, Dendoncker

Luiz, Tielemans

Diaby, Bailey, Traore

McGinn, Buendia, Coutinho

Ramsey, Sanson, Azaz

Watkins, Archer, Duran, Wesley, Davis

That's what we have right now. A few more in and out I'm sure before the window closes but what a squad we currently have! That's not even including any of our promising under 21 players except Duran. I have to say I am feeling very positive about this season. I don't see us selling anyone that we don't want to lose (such as Martinez or Luiz) and I am excited to see who else joins. Our three signings so far make us a level above what we were last season and anyone else is just a cherry on the top. Exciting times indeed.

3 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Martinez, Olsen

Cash

Carlos, Konsa, Chambers

Mings, Torres, Hause

Moreno, Digne

Kamara, Dendoncker

Luiz, Tielemans

Diaby, Bailey, Traore

McGinn, Buendia, Coutinho

Ramsey, Sanson, Azaz

Watkins, Archer, Duran, Wesley, Davis

That's what we have right now. A few more in and out I'm sure before the window closes but what a squad we currently have! That's not even including any of our promising under 21 players except Duran. I have to say I am feeling very positive about this season. I don't see us selling anyone that we don't want to lose (such as Martinez or Luiz) and I am excited to see who else joins. Our three signings so far make us a level above what we were last season and anyone else is just a cherry on the top. Exciting times indeed.

We need to shift at least 6 of the 7 in bold. 

I think with 7 defenders - 3 FBs and 4 CBs we'll be fine. Especially as Kamara or Dendonker can also play CB if needed and Konsa or Mings can play fullback if we're in a fitness crisis. I think McGinn could play FB too tbh if we needed him to. So I'd be ok going into season with 7 defenders given the quality of those 7.

I don't see both Archer and Duran staying around if we bring in another forward. 

It's possible we let Dendonker go as McGinn can fill in there as part of a double pivot but really we need a proper CDM there as competition for Kamara so losing Dendonker and not replacing him might be a risk with on 7 defenders too.

I think that we learned a few things tonight tactically...

--Cash seemed to have more freedom to go forward than he/Young had last year. The formation may not be quite as asymmetrical.

--Tielemans will probably be rotated with Kamara and Doug rather than one of the advanced midfield roles.

--Buendia isn't going to let himself get forced out of the picture quietly.

--McGinn started in the forward role again...so will Diaby take JPB's place in right midfield with Buendia on the left? 

--Chambers is still a useful squad player/utility man.

--JPB is going to be in the picture this year, and Kellyman might be soon.

17 minutes ago, TomC said:

I think that we learned a few things tonight tactically...

--Cash seemed to have more freedom to go forward than he/Young had last year. The formation may not be quite as asymmetrical.

--Tielemans will probably be rotated with Kamara and Doug rather than one of the advanced midfield roles.

--Buendia isn't going to let himself get forced out of the picture quietly.

--McGinn started in the forward role again...so will Diaby take JPB's place in right midfield with Buendia on the left? 

--Chambers is still a useful squad player/utility man.

--JPB is going to be in the picture this year, and Kellyman might be soon.

Cash has definitely been instructed to vary his positioning more. He dribbled infield a lot and inverted himself several times in possession. This is important as it allows us an extra midfielder at times for more varied build up. Does he really have this skill set? I’m not sure but it will be interesting to watch how it develops. 

Impressed by Tielemans and think he will thrive in that double pivot. 

Agreed on Buendia and I think he was in the second forward role out of necessity last year but I think his best position will be that left mid position in rotation with JJ. He needs to have the ball facing forward, not trying to win duels with his back to goal. 

Diaby will take the wide right role I assume but out of possession, I can see him in that second striker role similar to how Unai used Bailey at times when we were more on the counter. 

• Like 1

Interesting that we're still playing the 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 even with our new signings. Wonder how much truth there is to Emery preferring the 4-4-3. Maybe when Diaby is in the side we can know for sure I guess.

My assessment of our 25, has us roughly here at the moment.

image.png.35d73f6ab0075c69418419c581327e6c.png

• Every player assumed fit and available
  • I've shoehorned Chambers into backup RB because there is no one else (Revan?) that could play there right now.
  • No real assumption made on CB as could be any two of four in any single game
  • MC probably settled, depending on how SJM and JJ are rotated into those positions
  • I have no idea how the final third would setup other than Watkins, I expect them to rotate depending on the opposition
  • The advanced positions offer the most opportunity to improve, if;
    • Coutinho doesn't make it
    • if we sign a new FW

Looking for constructive comments and not nitpicking on the selection...

• Like 2

I watched the game last night I thought we looked good for most of the game.  We created a lot.....gave them three goals.

Going forward we looked good especially playing through the middle. Second goal was nice to watch.

I thought Buendia did well picking up the ball and looking for those through balls which unfortunately were a bit over hit.....but encouraging to see.

Playing out from the back.....did well...would just like to see it done a bit quicker....we slow it down a bit too much which allows the oppo to get set which at times we did Marinez went long to watkins and he struggled to bring every pass down.

High line......we dropped back a little more in the second half and we looked more safe...no space for that one over the top....sort of on the edge of the middle third and defensive third....a good position to have a back line..in the first half we played high too much...only criticism of Unai....i think we should play it but once we have gotten away with it a few times....drop back a little....close it off...like we did in 2nd half.

Great to see some of the youth on the pitch...they played pretty much a starting 11 in both halves.....we had five youth players on the pitch last 30....part from the strength against their back line which are all 6 ft plus they looked composed and played well.

Torres looks composed and can pass a ball....special mention...Doug Luiz never been his biggest fan....not because he isnt good...just the hype....but last night I was impressed in the little things he did....drops of the shoulder...creating space.

Need a starting RB and reserve GK.

But over all good performance can see what Unai has done to them team UTV.

• Like 2

One thing is certain. We're going to have some very popular players who a lot of fans appreciate not automatic starters for the team in league games in future. 

It's going to be interesting. 

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

• I've shoehorned Chambers into backup RB because there is no one else (Revan?) that could play there right now.
  • MC probably settled, depending on how SJM and JJ are rotated into those positions
  • I have no idea how the final third would setup other than Watkins, I expect them to rotate depending on the opposition
    • if we sign a new FW

I think Chambers is a utility player. He can cover RB/CB/CDM

I think Konsa will get time at RB this season with Cash as No1. So we can consider ourselves covered there atm.

If we brought another forward in I would see Archer or Duran going out on Loan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Interesting that we're still playing the 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 even with our new signings. Wonder how much truth there is to Emery preferring the 4-4-3. Maybe when Diaby is in the side we can know for sure I guess.

Can't see that being allowed tbh....

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

• if we sign a new FW

I don't understand how anyone thinks Pau isn't here to be part of the starting 11.

Paul is basically Emerys wet dream, he loves him, Emery has a crush on Pau like we have a crush on Emery.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I don't understand how anyone thinks Pau isn't here to be part of the starting 11.

Paul is basically Emerys wet dream, he loves him, Emery has a crush on Pau like we have a crush on Emery.

You can see why too. Very classy player by the looks of things. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

As stated about 10 times at this stage. Emerys comments on preferring 4 3 3 were from 2016 at PSG. He's totally evolved his tactics since then to his use of box midfield and 4 4 2

• Like 4

On 04/07/2023 at 09:00, ferguson1 said:

I think 442 shape will still be Emery’s preferred formation but this will change during the game no doubt. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the team below start the first game away at Newcastle.  Moreno when fit will take the left side place and someone new (not yet signed) next to Watkins. 

Martinez 

Konsa     Mings      Torres     Digne

Luiz      Kamara   
McGinn                                       Tielemans 

New      Watkins  

Early days and a lot could change between now and our first league game, but probably starting with this instead….

Martinez 

Cash     Konsa      Mings      Digne

Luiz      Kamara   
  McGinn                                    Tielemans 

Diaby      Watkins  

Subs. New GK, Carlos, Torres, Chambers, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Archer

Injuries aside, going with that for now. 

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Early days and a lot could change between now and our first league game, but probably starting with this instead….

Martinez 

Cash     Konsa      Mings      Digne

Luiz      Kamara   
  McGinn                                    Tielemans 

Diaby      Watkins  

Subs. New GK, Carlos, Torres, Chambers, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Archer

Injuries aside, going with that for now. 

My only disagreements:

Based on last night, it looks like they signed Tielemans for the double pivot, so I don't see him starting where you have him. I think that Buendia starts there instead. Tielemans could start for Kamara if Kamara turns in a couple more duds in the preseason, but it was just one game so I would bet on that yet.

You can't rule out Pau starting instead of Konsa (or perhaps even Mings).

McGinn and Diaby might swap roles if Unai intends to use Diaby like he used Bailey last year.

Â