Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I would suspect, you are younger than me and subsequently more savvy with Social Media.....I do not venture on to twitter, instagram and face book etc,etc.

So this is it for me.....I don'r really venture on to other villa media sites either.....loyal soul me.

Yeah, I guess your point is valid.

Watkins need 4- 5 chances to score - not prolific at this level for me 

Mings  - will make a mistake in most games may go unnoticed may cost us a goal , however he is very good in the air and the only  leader we have and still should be a first choice CB at villa . 

all opinions I guess and it’s down to the Manager who we all need to get behind Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why do people keep referencing Arteta when saying Gerrard needs time? Arteta had a plan and the plan was obvious, all the players knew/know their role. There were times when they messed it up but when they got the ball in the same situation, they tried the same thing again. Maybe the f-ed it up the second time as well, but they tried it the third time and the fourth time and so on until it worked. It resulted in some shocking defeats and runs of embarrassing results but there was always a plan. With us at the moment there is no discernible plan or structure, apart from, wing backs get forward. Build-up patterns are non-existent. Movement of the players is just random. There’s just no plan. Gerrard and Arteta played at the same time and were both midfielders. That’s where the similarities end.

And we know there is " no plan " because we are armchair football experts, or we don't see it coming off? 🤔

You point out that they might have " messed it up " ( Arsenal ) but they would try it again.

Do people genuinely think there is " no plan "?

I'd prefer people to say whatever the plan is, is " shit " than to confidently declare there is " no plan ".

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Martinez

Cash        Mings       Carlos     Digne

Buba            Sanson             Luiz

Bailey          Buendia

Watkins 

top 8 finish no one problem

Martinez

Cash        Konsa      Carlos     Digne

Buba            McGinn             Luiz

Bailey          Coutinho

Ings/Watkins

Yet this is the shi*te we will get, Luiz in for JJ, maybe Watkins for Ings will be as wild as it gets.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We can finally put to bed the crap that we want to play like Liverpool and thats how we set up. Since Carlos like Mings has been asked to hoof it which Van Dijk isn't told to do.

The midfield issue as well they might have more defensive minded players but nearly all technically competent and we give McGinn the armband to be our starting midfielder

I'm sure Van Dijk plays a lot of long balls into channels as well? Just that Van Dijk is much better at doing it than anyone of our CBs

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And we know there is " no plan " because we are armchair football experts, or we don't see it coming off? 🤔

You point out that they might have " messed it up " ( Arsenal ) but they would try it again.

I'd prefer people to say whatever the plan is, " shit " than to confidently declare there is " no plan ".

I heard there is no plan. He’s just telling them to go out there and try their best. They can’t even do that right! 

I'm a bit confused with what we are doing with our RB position if KKH goes out on loan? Gerrard obviously doesn't fancy Guilbert so I'd expect him to be moved on, I thought Young wouldn't really be relied on this season and we gave him another deal to essentially be a guy to help out with things.

Edited by Rustibrooks

14 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why do people keep referencing Arteta when saying Gerrard needs time? Arteta had a plan and the plan was obvious, all the players knew/know their role. There were times when they messed it up but when they got the ball in the same situation, they tried the same thing again. Maybe the f-ed it up the second time as well, but they tried it the third time and the fourth time and so on until it worked. It resulted in some shocking defeats and runs of embarrassing results but there was always a plan. With us at the moment there is no discernible plan or structure, apart from, wing backs get forward. Build-up patterns are non-existent. Movement of the players is just random. There’s just no plan. Gerrard and Arteta played at the same time and were both midfielders. That’s where the similarities end.

Comparisons aside you should read other posts. Plenty of discussion highlighting what the plan on the pitch is and where it may be going wrong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd prefer people to say whatever the plan is, is " shit " than to confidently declare there is " no plan ".

Agreed 

professional football without a plan…..?

We would have lost by far more.

Plan that didn’t work most definitely. If he didn’t have a plan then he definitely hasn’t got a plan b which as we all know is every football managers ultimate downfall.

We are really in the sh@t 

12 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I'm a bit confused with what we are doing with our RB position of KKH goes out on loan? Gerrard obviously doesn't fancy Guilbert so I'd expect him to be moved on, I thought Young wouldn't really be relied on this season and we gave him another deal to essentially be a guy to help out with things.

KKH out on, loan and Guilbert gone too by the looks of it.  Young might not be called upon that often as Cash is a regular and rarely injured.  By main concern with Cash is fatigue, he played a full 38 last season, and will probably do so this season again with a World Cup thrown in for good measure.  I'd prefer KKH to be back up but then you are limiting his game time.  

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

KKH out on, loan and Guilbert gone too by the looks of it.  Young might not be called upon that often as Cash is a regular and rarely injured.  By main concern with Cash is fatigue, he played a full 38 last season, and will probably do so this season again with a World Cup thrown in for good measure.  I'd prefer KKH to be back up but then you are limiting his game time.  

Hmm that's the thing I'm worried about surely keeping Guilbert around would be beneficial even if he barely plays. I know Cash is durable but it's good to have a decent back up just as a contingency.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently he grunts at them. 

That's bollocks he barely speaks to the players. Someone on here said so...

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True to form Shaun....spot on.

Also....when major events happen in a game, like conceding quick goals.......plans can go out of the window, players revert to type......and huge glum faces appear on the bench.

30 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Rubbish, they looked rudderless early part of last season. The VT experts also said as much at the time.

Poland won't go far in WC so he'll get some rest during the latter stages will Cash. Young is good enough as cover and clearly Gerrard prefers hom to Guilbert. Also Chambers has more PL games at Right back than at CB so he's cover. We can also recall KKH in Jan if we need.

We're fine at Right Back until next season when KKH is ready to compete with Cash full time

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This results in a real dilemma for some posters who have consistently said that they don’t like our tactics and that we play too narrow etc. However is the narrative of negativity now moving to no plan rather than a poor plan? Too many choices lead to confusion. I think I recall Sainsbury’s deciding that 240 different types of yoghurt was too many and reduced it to a mere 130 yogurts to choose  from. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Poland won't go far in WC so he'll get some rest during the latter stages will Cash. Young is good enough as cover and clearly Gerrard prefers hom to Guilbert. Also Chambers has more PL games at Right back than at CB so he's cover. We can also recall KKH in Jan if we need.

We're fine at Right Back until next season when KKH is ready to compete with Cash full time

It's still extra games, travelling and training, it increases the likelihood of injury.

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair enough. The “there is no plan” line was a bit much. I also said whatever the plan is, it’s not discernible and whatever it is, is bloody awful, and is in no way obvious. There are no build-up patterns, no movement patterns. Even a defensive structure is nowhere to be seen apart from ‘Bouba will look after that’. 

• Like 2

Â