Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

Wasn't Reddingtons once in Cannon Street ? If so it was formerly Kay Westworths, one of B/hams many musical instrument shops (although it wasn't "proper" 'cos it didn't sell drums) !!  Anyone remember the name of a large music shop owned by a very keen Villa supporter ? He followed them all over Europe too.

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Those people seemed mainly pleased with their new housing (assuming they were not paid to say they were) and I can see how they would moving from a slum to a shiny modern house full of 60s technology and an indoor toilet/full bathroom. 

I wonder how long it lasted before the realisation of the environment caught up with them.  I've seen so many stories of people reminiscing that they were happy in their old communities and miserable in the new estates. 

I mean, how long was it before the smiling happy go lucky, diligent in keeping the place tidy caretaker was given the boot to save money. 

My mom and dad got their first council accommodation in Queen's Tower, Nechells, shortly after I was born in 1954. After three years there, we moved out to Oakham House in Warstock. My parents absolutely loved it. Central heating, limitless hot water, clean, tidy and caretaker managed. Decent play areas outside too, it was a nice place to grow up. I went back for a nostalgic visit in the early 90s, and sure enough, it had turned into a grim, litter-strewn and graffiti'ed wasteland. It was demolished in 2002. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Funny - I miss the cream and purple livery of the buses.

Thats how I first remember them. Wasn't a fan of the silver and blue. Remember the Timesavers? Luxury buses! 

37143618405_7e228a944c_b.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thats how I first remember them. Wasn't a fan of the silver and blue. Remember the Timesavers? Luxury buses! 

37143618405_7e228a944c_b.jpg

No way that 52 ever went to the Beeches Estate and came out that clean and dentless. A mini riot at closing time outside the Drakes Drum as the Kingstanding Youth took umbrage at the Beeches Youth for existing was a common occurence. (The reverse fixture would take place in the next day or so)

• Like 1

I remember stumbling across this a few years ago and found it fascinating. 

This is what stood on the plot now occupied by The Council House.  It was called The Cabinet of Curiosities 

engraving-allins-cabinet-of-curiosities-

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

This also amazes me.  A drawing from 1732.

Birmingham consisting in it's entirety of what, 30 or 40 streets, yet clearly St Martins Church and St Phillips Cathedral (then just a church) are clearly recognisable. 

I wonder if any other buildings are still existing.  I suppose The Old Crown in Digbeth is somewhere on the left hand side there. 

I think the other Church you can see used to be at the top of New Street opposite where the The Council House is now but was demolished a while ago. 

Westley---East-Prospect-of-Birmingham-17

Edited by sidcow

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

No way that 52 ever went to the Beeches Estate and came out that clean and dentless. A mini riot at closing time outside the Drakes Drum as the Kingstanding Youth took umbrage at the Beeches Youth for existing was a common occurence. (The reverse fixture would take place in the next day or so)

No.46 stopped outside the Drum and i used to hop on it to perry barr dog track and then make my trek to VP, always picking up a ¼ of aniseed balls or american hard gums on the way to the game.

Happy, happy days...

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

No.46 stopped outside the Drum and i used to hop on it to perry barr dog track and then make my trek to VP, always picking up a ¼ of aniseed balls or american hard guns on the way to the game.

Happy, happy days...

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, coda said:

I can spot an early version of Mr Egg behind the ramparts.

That was another haunt of the proppa brummies.....the ones who drink in town....so us villa boys were never really welcome at Mr Egg

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The old, old Library from the inside.  Demolished to be replaced by the fine example of Brutalist Architecture which was designed for function not aesthetics and was scandalously not made a listed building. The replacement does not have anywhere near the functionality of the previous Brutalist masterpiece.

FTFY :trollface:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

One for @mjmooney

The old, old Library from the inside.  Destroyed for that concrete monstrosity which stood for less than half the time of this one.

Birmingham-Central-Library-from-Lost-Vic

I used to love going in there. Usually to research something for school work, but I invariably got distracted by something more interesting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I loved the old library and I liked the brutalist middle one (before they started tarting it up), I'm much less sure about the new one which has shopping mall in hoopey earrings written all over it.

I like modern architecture, well the grand project type not the identikit chuck it up quick  glass fronted office block but I'm not a fan of the new Library, I think it rather fails as a design.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I used to love going in there. Usually to research something for school work, but I invariably got distracted by something more interesting

e3bcd965442bc15f1f3197fb1a4cbda6.jpg

• Like 1

Â