Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

It did. It was the first unit on the left as you entered great western arcade from colmore row. I used to go upstairs to check out the subbuteo stuff (no astroturf pitches in my day, @bickster !). It wasn't a big place if i remember rightly 

It didn't. Grey's and Barnby's are different unconnected shops. Grey's became Hamley's, Barnby's didn't

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

It didn't. Grey's and Barnby's are different unconnected shops. Grey's became Hamley's, Barnby's didn't

Ah yeah, you're right. It must be my failing memory. I stand by my astroturf pitch claims though !

All these years on the VT forum and this is my first "rebuke" from @bickster.....i feel quite proud 😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Ah yeah, you're right. It must be my failing memory. I stand by my astroturf pitch claims though !

All these years on the VT forum and this is my first "rebuke" from @bickster.....i feel quite proud 😂

If you read back, I thought it was Greys too initially, my memory told me that for some reason but it was Mike who said there was a toy shop there.

It's odd how the memory plays tricks on you like that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

If you read back, I thought it was Greys too initially, my memory told me that for some reason but it was Mike who said there was a toy shop there.

It's odd how the memory plays tricks on you like that

When I was doing my MSc we did a little experiment to illustrate the power of collective thinking - we all did a general knowledge quiz, first as individuals, and then in teams, conferring. Obviously we got higher scores as teams, but it was more than just the combined knowledge, which would obviously be expected - the teams got several correct answers to questions that none of the individuals had got. Because they prompted each other with guesswork that triggered memories. This thread is a classic illustration of that. I remembered where there was a toy shop, which triggered @bickster's memory that the ground floor was all bikes and prams - which I had completely forgotten. 

• Like 1

I had a vague recollection of there being another Odeon in the City Centre, and there was one in Smallbrook Queensway. Closed in '88. I do recall going there at least once. 

These photos from 2014, show its still there, albeit long forgotten. Looks like its just been left as it was

https://www.business-live.co.uk/enterprise/gallery/pictures-birminghams-hidden-spaces-old-8303378

Old-Odeon_04.jpg

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I had a vague recollection of there being another Odeon in the City Centre, and there was one in Smallbrook Queensway. Closed in '88. I do recall going there at least once. 

These photos from 2014, show its still there, albeit long forgotten. Looks like its just been left as it was

https://www.business-live.co.uk/enterprise/gallery/pictures-birminghams-hidden-spaces-old-8303378

Old-Odeon_04.jpg

Yes, I watched Nightmare on Elm Street there. 

It does seem strange that such a space has just been abandoned for 30 odd years, you would think they could find some use for is, as @bickster says surely some gigs or a new theatre.  Surely the landlord would be better charging a small rent than leaving it empty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I watched Nightmare on Elm Street there. 

It does seem strange that such a space has just been abandoned for 30 odd years, you would think they could find some use for is, as @bickster says surely some gigs or a new theatre.  Surely the landlord would be better charging a small rent than leaving it empty. 

This is by no means unique. There's one like that here in Leeds. Despite the speculation in the article that it may be demolished, it's still there. 

9 hours ago, John said:

Talking of cinemas, this one had the largest screen in Europe:

Gaumont Cinema | Birmingham city centre, City of birmingham, Birmingham  england

I think I read somewhere that the front facade was dismantled and put into storage for later use but now no one knows where it is. 

I don't actually remember this cinema so don't think I ever went there. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't actually remember this cinema so don't think I ever went there. 

I went there quite a bit. It was above the underpass complex and sunken open air space that ran between Steelhouse Lane and Bull Street, that had the GWR Train murals and a basement entrance to Lewis's and a pub, now I'm trying to remember the pub's name

• Like 1

Another closed Cinema in plain view.  At one time part of it was used as a laser quest you could access at the side from Ethel Street, I think it's a restaurant now, but the upper bits are just there, doing nothing. 

It's so strange they can't think to re-purpose them for something.  There must be something about the construction of the seating slopes that makes it impossible/too costly to convert them. 

Strikes me we need a load of new theatre companies to be encouraged to set up in the city. 

Byron-8.jpg

Byron-9.jpg

Byron-10.jpg

ABC-cinema-in-New-Street-8.jpg

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

I went there quite a bit. It was above the underpass complex and sunken open air space that ran between Steelhouse Lane and Bull Street, that had the GWR Train murals and a basement entrance to Lewis's and a pub, now I'm trying to remember the pub's name

Was it The Brown Derby ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There must be something about the construction of the seating slopes that makes it impossible/too costly to convert them. 

The rake (for that is the technical theatre term for the slope) is often too steep for a standing venue but it is also usually superficial. There are ways of dealing with it.

I've seen many converted in many different ways

42 minutes ago, veloman said:

Was it The Brown Derby ?

Really can't remember. If you came out of Lewis's basement and turned left it was just there by the side of the steps (hell was there even an escaltor there?) that lead up to Bull Street and you had Vampire House at the top... sorry the Blood Donor Centre

Having just searched on it, it does appear you are correct, Well done that man! (It was also described as the worst pub in town)

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

that lead up to Bull Street and you had Vampire House at the top... sorry the Blood Donor Centre

Is that why the Tony Hancock sculpture is near there? 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Really can't remember. If you came out of Lewis's basement and turned left it was just there by the side of the steps (hell was there even an escaltor there?) that lead up to Bull Street and you had Vampire House at the top... sorry the Blood Donor Centre

Having just searched on it, it does appear you are correct, Well done that man! (It was also described as the worst pub in town)

It was indeed a seriously shit pub. 

• Like 1

Â