Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

Birmingham Slum clearance 1959, it also answers the question @sidcowasked about people going into the city centre for food

All the areas featured in this slum cleasrance were inner city and they didn't seem to build the local shopping centres first

They had the best of intentions doing this you'd think but totally cocked it up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Have some more 1964

I watched all the way through. I spotted 2 foreign vehicles. A VW beetle (1:27 ish) and a fiat 500 (2:38 ish). Loads of minis, Humbers, Vauxhall, Triumph, Austin, Hillman, Morris, rover etc.

it’s not just the streets and buildings that change.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's a couple of my favourites:

16341308960_d0fe612cd6_b.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 02.44.07.png

I preferred the Library like that, before they started to tart it up.

I preferred the library like this. And I'm not even kidding - I still think of the 70s one as the 'new library'. 

BP838568.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I preferred the library like this. And I'm not even kidding - I still think of the 70s one as the 'new library'. 

BP838568.jpg

I was going to post this.  What a tragedy the old new library was replacing that. 

Mind you we only just got away with that giant hamster disaster when it was demolished. 

34743666845_b806231442_b.jpg

Edited by sidcow

On 07/03/2021 at 20:19, Seat68 said:

What was the name of the record shop that was (badly described) in the slightly underground walk way from new street possibly by the rotunda. 

Reddingtons rare records possibly?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sbaldie1 said:

Reddingtons rare records possibly?

Boy did I spend big **** money over the years in that place. Not so much when they moved next to Rackhams.

Oh and welcome back @sbaldie1:)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I will look it up and see. 

Don't bother, it wasn't. As said, it was behind M&S facing Moor St Station (ish), took up most of the units in a row of shops but the shops weren't connected, it had different departments, one was specifically for posters and badges etc

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don't bother, it wasn't. As said, it was behind M&S facing Moor St Station (ish), took up most of the units in a row of shops but the shops weren't connected, it had different departments, one was specifically for posters and badges etc

Yeah, the one I went in had 45s, LPs of all sorts from the late 50's upwards. The one next door was country, bluegrass, and 78s. I never went in that one :)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah, the one I went in had 45s, LPs of all sorts from the late 50's upwards. The one next door was country, bluegrass, and 78s. I never went in that one :)

I did!  :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

, one was specifically for posters and badges etc

Somewhere in my house I have a photograph of Debbie Harry which I purchased in Reddingtons opposite Moor Street Station. 

I think they had to move from there when The Pavilions (now Primark) was built. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Somewhere in my house I have a photograph of Debbie Harry which I purchased in Reddingtons opposite Moor Street Station. 

I think they had to move from there when The Pavilions (now Primark) was built. 

I think you're right because that 1987 video above drives past there and you can clearly see the back of The Pavillions but not Reddingtons

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Birmingham Slum clearance 1959, it also answers the question @sidcowasked about people going into the city centre for food

All the areas featured in this slum cleasrance were inner city and they didn't seem to build the local shopping centres first

They had the best of intentions doing this you'd think but totally cocked it up.

Those people seemed mainly pleased with their new housing (assuming they were not paid to say they were) and I can see how they would moving from a slum to a shiny modern house full of 60s technology and an indoor toilet/full bathroom. 

I wonder how long it lasted before the realisation of the environment caught up with them.  I've seen so many stories of people reminiscing that they were happy in their old communities and miserable in the new estates. 

I mean, how long was it before the smiling happy go lucky, diligent in keeping the place tidy caretaker was given the boot to save money. 

• Like 1

Â