Cheery Twits

HanoiVillan

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I give it six months before someone has ended up plummeting 50 stories to their deaths in their swimming trunks and it's shut forever.

I give it 2 months before someone puts a shark in the pool for a laugh

I don't think I'd go in that pool for a very substantial amount of money (which is, I understand, the opposite of how it works).

We trust the competence of architects, engineers and builders every day, but that's a step too far for me.

• Like 4

I'd be even less likely to go in noting that it was built by Ballymore

The same company who build New Providence Wharf in Poplar, that caught fire recently, and whose fire safety systems failed massively. 

Would you trust a company who cut corners on fire safety to build a suspended swimming pool? 

• Like 2

I've built a few pools so I'm interested in it as a project, especially where all the gubbins are, the scum channels, pumps and filters etc, where the plant room for it? 

The design of it would come under structural engineering which from my expereince would suggest that's at least +10% over designed as belt and braces, you can build a normal one and the SE will over design it so I've got no doubt one like that will be too, water also weighs a ton and creates forces blah blah for example I've emptied pools that resulted in the leisure centre shifting a few centimeters, usually half the tiles pop off, then with pumping water to that height, I'd be amazed if that ever gets emptied 

My main issue with it is practicality... It just looks a bit shit as a pool... We don't have the weather for it, you can't do anything in it, a hotel or something would get away with it but that looks like endulgant nonsense to me that'll get left to ruin once the novelty wears off 

And where do the maintenance costs go? I wouldnt want them 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And where do the maintenance costs go? I wouldnt want them 

Apartment management fees to the usual cowboys. If true to form the management company will change to a different company every year or every other year, the previous company will be disolved but the new company has remarkably similar shareholders and they'll still be the same shareholders than own the company that built the apartments in the first place

Also what happens when it pisses it down? I mean seriously pisses it down, where is the excess water going to escape to? It doesn't look like its possible to go over the side (You'd hope). How long before it reaches a roof area that isn't totally waterproof?

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't prove it, but I reckon they might have thought about rain in London and installed some sort of overflow system

You would think so wouldn't you but stranger things have happened.  I also assume it must cost a shedload in security costs to stop the "unwantables" filling the place (take that to mean those who don't own a full share of their property) and other warden costs to make sure people behave.   It's like the new Waking Watch for the rich. 

Edited by trekka

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Apartment management fees to the usual cowboys. If true to form the management company will change to a different company every year or every other year, the previous company will be disolved but the new company has remarkably similar shareholders and they'll still be the same shareholders than own the company that built the apartments in the first place

Also what happens when it pisses it down? I mean seriously pisses it down, where is the excess water going to escape to? It doesn't look like its possible to go over the side (You'd hope). How long before it reaches a roof area that isn't totally waterproof?

Scum channels controls the overflow

I love that name 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

To be honest, I don't really see the outrage about owners of private property having exclusive access to private facilities.

When it’s a shared site, a shared building and you have an ostentatious show of wealth, it’s not cool.

They’ve done similar where there has been a children’s play area in full view of all the children that live in a block, but its only accessible to the children of the richer mummies and daddies. The poor kids just get the vicarious pleasure of watching the kids in the pool or on the slide.

They’ll often give the ‘affordable’ units a smaller entrance door somewhere off the Main Street out of sight. I mean, they don’t actually put up signs that say no blacks no Irish, so things are getting better.

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Scum channels controls the overflow

I love that name 

Must have them installed at st andrews. 

On 02/06/2021 at 13:24, Davkaus said:

We trust the competence of architects, engineers and builders every day, but that's a step too far for me.

Oh come on, they would never make mistakes on something so important,  not in modern times. Not in a modern country anyway. 

There is footage of the Barton Bridge collapse on the Manchester Evening News site but after 10 minutes of trying to copy and paste it I've given up so this will have to do.  Basically even on really really important things the **** up. 

Â