Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, a m ole said:

Yeah, probably a bit off topic. That's an interesting article though, thanks. However I can see how padded headgear might be largely worthless for a boxer because the sheer power of a punch can overwhelm the padding but I'm not sure the same would necessarily apply to football; that's a much less powerful impact each time. I guess that's why proper research is needed though, as my assumptions are just based on basic physics and intuition at this point.

• Like 2

Back to transfers how long till we are linked with Ings I wonder - my money is by Saturday latest. 

just imagine the commentary possibilities… Martinez flings and finds Targett, to Mings Pings to find  Watkins who slings the ball onto Ings’ head  - GOAL … 

Hypothetically speaking would anyone anti Tammy like I, poss change your views If those are the two options. Forget fantasy choice… All the Abraham naysayers straight choice ings or Tammy ? 

Barca are in a bit of a turmoil… amongst other issues, they need to reduce their wage bill and are making some hasty(?) decisions like trying to rescind Umtiti & Pjanic’s contracts (they have refused). Surely they could get a decent fee for these players? 

They’re apparently willing to let Coutinho leave for £20m. 

They have only been able to sign players on free transfers but they can’t even register them!

Is there anyone (including youngsters) who we could realistically take from them (apart from Messi 😆) to, you know, help them out a little… 😆

They’ve already gotten rid of a few players and youngsters.

Worth looking through this thread for the details:

Looks like some of these big clubs are starting to pay the price now for reckless spending and paying out exorbitant wages. It’s really not sustainable (and completely nonsensical and unreasonable - but let’s not get into that) and there need to be limits and caps put in place. Football is completely out of control in this sense and something needs to be done…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Back to transfers how long till we are linked with Ings I wonder - my money is by Saturday latest. 

just imagine the commentary possibilities… Martinez flings and finds Targett, to Mings Pings to find  Watkins who slings the ball onto Ings’ head  - GOAL … 

Hypothetically speaking would anyone anti Tammy like I, poss change your views If those are the two options. Forget fantasy choice… All the Abraham naysayers straight choice ings or Tammy ? 

Easy, Tammy.

Surely having Messi's €2.1m/week salary (bonuses included) off their books helps a bit.

Might be tricky to fit in a new contract for him thou :D 

For as good as a player he is and personality on the pitch, the money Messi has been on is truly ridiculous. Barca are paying the price in more ways than one…

It would be best for the sake of Barca as a club to let him move on… I know he would possibly be sacrificing legendary status and the renown of a “one club man” but the health and future of the club is more important…

These clubs are too reckless…and it’s not like the players are going to refuse these riches and not continue to demand more…

4 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Busquets on a 2 year deal would be nice.

Only on £271k a week. He wants to stay and Barcelona want to give him an extension on reduced wages according to player and reports

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Only on £271k a week. He wants to stay and Barcelona want to give him an extension on reduced wages according to player and reports

I’m sure it was a joke mate 🤣

I don’t think many people are going to agree with me but this is kind of why I cringe every time I see comments like, “give him what he wants”, “give him a new contract every season”, “it’s not my money” (that one is truly the worst and most idiotic).

The financial health and security of the club has to be maintained… the club is more important than the players…

I don’t even agree with giving Jack a new contract every season, we’re going to have to and will do so now to secure him due to interest and to make a statement but it’s not sustainable to continually raise wages every season. There has to be a limit and reasonable range. 

Jack’s already handsomely paid, I don’t mind if we raise his wage a bit more but we shouldn’t keep doing it. If he signs for 5 years, it should be reasonable for him to accept that wage for at least 3 years or so of that contract shouldn’t it?

The same applies to our other players, they’re going to keep wanting raises and we will indulge our better players to keep them here and to keep them happy… as we hand out bigger contracts to certain players, the others will want a piece of that pie. As we sign bigger and better players that wage budget is going to swell substantially…

I just don’t like the way it all works but money talks more than anything in this game and it saddens me in all honesty…

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Wildly off topic now, but take a look at this:

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/olympic-boxers-arent-wearing-headgear-anymore/

Head gear is great for protecting against cuts, abrasion, sharp impacts like elbows etc, but the dull force of a ball landing repeatedly on the head, because the brain is slightly loose inside the skull, it doesn’t do anything. The ball moves the head with the headgear with the same force, and that rocks the brain.

just re-read what you said re the padding, but that reduction is so, so minimal.

Also to note, there is a threshold force at which point it will no longer do damage to the brain. Even if the padding only protects against 10-15% of the impacts 9ver the course of a cbs career that would be hundreds if not thousands of collisions that wouldn't be killing brain cells and increasing the risk for dementia. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Half serious even though I know its not realistic, just looking at whats the best we could be take off them in this time of crisis for them. 

It’s obvious to say but I’ll go ahead anyway… 😆

We will be low down on a list of suitors and even lower on a list of his desired destinations should he decide to move on…

In general, signing older players on massive wages is not an intelligent approach either.

But we could certainly do with a Busquets “type”. Kamara?

41 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Ings every day of the week. He's older yes but he would be half the price a lot of soton fans reckon they will only get 20 mil for him. He's a player who can create his own goal, score worldies or create for others.

Tammy conversely can only tap the ball into the back of the net. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Ings every day of the week. He's older yes but he would be half the price a lot of soton fans reckon they will only get 20 mil for him. He's a player who can create his own goal, score worldies or create for others.

Tammy conversely can only tap the ball into the back of the net. 

Let’s not start this again or just leave it in the Tammy thread.

Any thoughts on Barca?

26 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Barca are in a bit of a turmoil… amongst other issues, they need to reduce their wage bill and are making some hasty(?) decisions like trying to rescind Umtiti & Pjanic’s contracts (they have refused). Surely they could get a decent fee for these players? 

They’re apparently willing to let Coutinho leave for £20m. 

They have only been able to sign players on free transfers but they can’t even register them!

Is there anyone (including youngsters) who we could realistically take from them (apart from Messi 😆) to, you know, help them out a little… 😆

They’ve already gotten rid of a few players and youngsters.

Worth looking through this thread for the details:

Looks like some of these big clubs are starting to pay the price now for reckless spending and paying out exorbitant wages. It’s really not sustainable (and completely nonsensical and unreasonable - but let’s not get into that) and there need to be limits and caps put in place. Football is completely out of control in this sense and something needs to be done…

I wonder how much pedri would cost, or ansu fati. Both special talents especially pedri. 

I would have been interested in ousmane before his racist comments. On a decent wage he could have been good only has 2 years left on his deal. So barca may have been willing to pay the difference for 2 seasons to get him off the books. 

Sergio Roberto as a CDM would be quite nice as well. 

Edited by MotoMkali

Just now, MotoMkali said:

I wonder how much pedri would cost, or ansu fati.

Now you’re talking!

I don’t think we’d have much of a chance attracting players like that though. I’m sure Barca will do everything in their power to hold onto their most prized assets…

Best to target the undervalued or under appreciated players in their squad that could turn out to be awesome for us…