Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That was a different you cant compare them signings to modern day money

Plus Martinez as I also said was hungry and didnt get a ridiculous contract, he also didnt come from a top 6 club 😉

I never mentioned top 6 clubs. That was your interpretation. I am thinking about big clubs all over the World. There are players all over the World who started at a big club but had to make their way back to the top via a diversion. Pogba, Sancho, KDB just off the top of my head. We should not consider it to be a closed shop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't think he played 442 at Brentford probably not Walsall either. Barely any PL team plays 442 now. Burnley Southampton, Leicester sometimes. 

There seems loads on here obsessed with 442 and that we should deploy it even though Smith probably never will

So I think you are helping my point because I agree most don’t play 442 but you would agree most of those same teams use during a game more than one quality (what we would consider) main striker.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So I think you are helping my point because I agree most don’t play 442 but you would agree most of those same teams use during a game more than one quality (what we would consider) main striker.

Spurs just Kane without thinking about it

Man City have played KDB and Foden up front this season. Already said Traore is a potential option. 

Man U have used Greenwood Martial and Rashford up front all wingers. Man U fans have complained Cavani only recognised striker. 

West Ham have Antonio who used to get played wide mid and even fullback

I know sounds total madness but sometimes coaches employ players in positions fans don't think or realise they can play

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

?????

You're talking about Donny Van De Beek to be sure yes?

He is an established Champions League player who would be two or three rungs up the ladder in terms of quality. 

He is being disgustingly treated by Solskjaer and many Utd fans are wondering why he isn't starting for them. 

I'm not saying he's anywhere near the level of Dennis Bergkamp, but it feels like a situation similar to how Arsenal picked him up where he was unhappy at Inter and the manager kept him in the dark but underneath you knew there was a class player. 

Having played in the champions league means zilch as to whether the player is of PL quality. If you want examples let me know.

VDB might develop into something, but right now he is not a PL quality player or what we need.

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

What about Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi from Chelsea? 

Only reason Chelsea would sell us players was if they thought they were no good. That or loan us a lush and pay his 100k per week wages

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Having played in the champions league means zilch as to whether the player is of PL quality. If you want examples let me know.

VDB might develop into something, but right now he is not a PL quality player or what we need.

You are correct. Is Samatta on your list?

55 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Spurs just Kane without thinking about it

Man City have played KDB and Foden up front this season. Already said Traore is a potential option. 

Man U have used Greenwood Martial and Rashford up front all wingers. Man U fans have complained Cavani only recognised striker. 

West Ham have Antonio who used to get played wide mid and even fullback

I know sounds total madness but sometimes coaches employ players in positions fans don't think or realise they can play

I think we agree....I think

If we say played Tammy and Ollie upfront, with Ollie in the number 10 role.  Then like Kane, Ollie would still be main striker but allow him to drop deep, wide or be directly upfront how he chooses and let Tammy do the traditional number 9 role.  Ollie would still then be classed as a 'main striker' because he will be essentially doing what he does now, he would just have a partner.

We keep seeing that 

433 or 4231 formation being on the Villa with the middle of the three being more an attacking midfielder but it could be a deeper moving striker.  Seeing an attack line of Tammy, Ollie, Grealish and Buendia could really be quality going forwards.  I think whether that is 433, 4231, 4312 or 442 or mixing it up during the game would be epic.  I worry the strength in DM then to cover would leave us too exposed but again I go back to being a squad game and against lower teams we could play more agressive but then against the bigger teams we could be more solid and drop one of those four to the bench and put in a midfielder to strengthen that area.  Then it would be great to bring somebody off the bench with that quality of those four if the needs mean we need to make a change.  I think back to my original point is that we have to have options, we as Villa fans, so focus on the first XI but we can see the game today and know we need options and not back ups, we need genuine quality if we are looking to get into the top eight.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

What about Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi from Chelsea? 

Nah, RLC is supposed to be a lazy, bad attitude player and that's when they were comparing him to Barkley so I think I'd keep away from that.  Plus I dont think he's all that

Hudson-Odoi, just not really seen enough of quality from him to be interested at the price he's likely to be.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If we say played Tammy and Ollie upfront, with Ollie in the number 10 role. 

We won't do that. Smith has said Watkins is the main man up front. I'd rather a sign a CAM. I really don't think we'll sign Tammy

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

If Kane went to Citeh and Spurs poached Watkins who would we buy to replace Watkins?

Watkins is not for sale. We just signed him. We don't need money. Also he's a Gooner. Also Levy is a skinflint

5 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Hudson Odi is on £150k per week.....no thanks

As soon as Eze is fit, i would sign him, i would be very tempted to put a bid in for Jimenez from Wolves, and a Bissouma signing is essential imho

We haven't been linked with Bissouma but Liverpool have been strongly linked and also Arsenal

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watkins is not for sale. We just signed him. We don't need money. Also he's a Gooner. Also Levy is a skinflint

Spurs were interested last summer but as you say Levy is a skinfint and wasn't willing to take a punt on him, but he's a proven PL striker now. Correct we don't NEED the money but if the right bid was to come in who knows. Watkins is highly rated we'd be naive to think we are to good to sell on good players for the right price and that bigger clubs won't come looking.