Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Spurs just Kane without thinking about it

Man City have played KDB and Foden up front this season. Already said Traore is a potential option. 

Man U have used Greenwood Martial and Rashford up front all wingers. Man U fans have complained Cavani only recognised striker. 

West Ham have Antonio who used to get played wide mid and even fullback

I know sounds total madness but sometimes coaches employ players in positions fans don't think or realise they can play

Rashford was a central striker first two seasons he came through, just decided he's better out wide in recent seasons. Son has played central for Spurs many times aswell in his 6 years there.

We do need some sort of  decent CF on the bench. 5 points all season we've gained from losing positions in league so not going to be getting anywhere near top 6 in future seasons without having ability to turn a 1-0 defeat after 60 minutes into a win. We've done that what twice at VP since we came up, Fulham game and Watford at home in Jan 2020 and really struggling to think the last time we won like that away from home in the league.

We know how to see out games generally when we're ahead now but we still need to learn that and better bench options would help so much.

Sheffield United away was good case study. 35 minutes of second half v 10 men and losing 1-0 and we offered very little until injury time.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Where has the Rashica talk come from?  We tried to sign him last year, he had a poor season and we are now better than him.  Buendia, McNeil and Tammy I can see, really doubt we will be looking at Rashica again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Where has the Rashica talk come from?  We tried to sign him last year, he had a poor season and we are now better than him.  Buendia, McNeil and Tammy I can see, really doubt we will be looking at Rashica again.

Yup - yesterday's man.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We won't do that. Smith has said Watkins is the main man up front. I'd rather a sign a CAM. I really don't think we'll sign Tammy

but he's also mentioned playing two upfront

he's also said playing two upfront may restrict Grealish

he's also said that he could play Ollie out wider

he's also said that Ollie and him want him in the main striker role

he's also said that we have limited options upfront (paraphrasing a few of his comments)

Overwhelmingly he has said Ollie as the main striker I agree but he has said other things and also main striker doesnt mean one striker.

I cant see how we cant sign a creative player and a striker, it's not either/or situation plus it's also whose available.  I've said before if Ollie gets injured, despite people mentioning Traore, Wes, Davis or a less quality back up striker...our season would be severely limited like Wolves were this season.  Having a great goal scorer and a great goalkeeper for me are two of the most important positions in the team.  You need to keep out goals when under pressure and you need to score goals when you have very few chances.  Emi has shown how vital that is at one end of the park, and we were lucky not to see that the other end but we can look across the city at Wolves to see that being the case.

Will we sign Tammy? I would love to but it's not my choice.  If we want him I think we can get him but it depends what Dean and the team are thinking.  We have no idea what they are thinking and for me that is great.  

• Like 1

From everything the club have said Watkins is still quite deservedly number 1 up front. So whoever his backup is realistically isn't going to be a £40m striker is he. I suspect they may go with Wesley and Davis and that's it. To me that is a huge risk but maybe we have other priorities to strengthen first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MJ_1874 said:

Buendia, McNeil and Tammy are all priced at around £40m, Rashica possibly available at around £15m. It wouldn’t be a surprise that we are looking at him at that money.  

If we were interested last season why wouldn’t we be interested this season at less money? The reason he didn’t join us last year was his club messing us around. Now WB have been relegated, their poor handling of the potential transfer last year has come back to bite them. 

Like most of us I’ve only ever seen him through YouTube compilations but I’m assuming Lange and the crew will have done a more thorough job. If after that they still want him he could be a real steal.  

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think the point @Kiwivillan is making is that we won't be spending big money to sign essentially a 'back up' striker as - 

A) it's expensive and we need to strengthen elsewhere first.

b) no one is going to want to sit on our bench if we spend lots on the likes of Tammy Abraham or equivalent.

Personally I think a loan for a Mcgoldrick type signing would be a decent short term back up. My neighbour Kemar Roofe (his mum and baby's mother live on my street) again as a short term back up might be useful. I've mentioned these two as they are good at pressing from the front. I'm sure there's others out there but can't think off the top of my head. On loan btw. Yes that's a loan not permanent. 

When we're in Europe that's when more expensive strikers as competition for Ollie would be more viable for us.

• Thanks 1

I can see Tammy leaving Chelsea, but I doubt that we will buy him. I can’t see us spending that big on a striker (unfortunately), I think we’re more likely to sign an understudy for Ollie, and someone who is willing to do the support role until they are needed.

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Buendia, McNeil and Tammy are all priced at around £40m, Rashica possibly available at around £15m. It wouldn’t be a surprise that we are looking at him at that money.  

If we were interested last season why wouldn’t we be interested this season at less money? The reason he didn’t join us last year was his club messing us around. Now WB have been relegated, their poor handling of the potential transfer last year has come back to bite them. 

Like most of us I’ve only ever seen him through YouTube compilations but I’m assuming Lange and the crew will have done a more thorough job. If after that they still want him he could be a real steel. 

We have the money, and neither want nor need bargains coming off a poor season.

• Like 1

I’m really bored of the shit rags trying to sell our best players. I’m sure I saw some more made up rumours from the same “source” saying that both Grealish and Watkins could leave this summer.

They think we’re just in the league to get players ready to play for the CL clubs, plus Spurs and Arsenal.

We might as well just give up now if we sold 2 of our best players, but thankfully we neither need or want to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

VDB would be a pretty meh signing for me. Might improve and develop into a PL quality player, but right now he isn't. They gambled and it hasn't worked out.

He is in the same bag as Joelinton and Haller, and arguably Wesley.

Stay well clear. Potential we got in our youth team. We need quality.

Never really got a run - behind Pogba and Bruno which is pretty tough going.

Just to let you all know, my mate Wes Edens has been sent a letter from myself asking extremely nicely if he would purchase the companies behind the Birmingham Mail and Football Insider, pay off their staff and dissolve both establishments, effective immediately. 

I will keep you posted on his response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I think this is a good strategy. Even the top clubs are struggling for cash and need to sell players in order to go after their top targets. I think there will be some good players being sold in what will effectively be a buyers market. You are much more likely to get value for money in this scenario as opposed to trying to prise the likes of McNeil and Buendia away from clubs with no need/appetite to sell.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57252066 

Sounds to me like Norwich are pretty resigned to selling their best players this season.  Not only are they expecting offers but this sounds like encouragement for clubs to make offers.  If they say it will take a bid starting with a 3 then with a bit of negotiation you'd hope that maybe you could get it done for an initial number starting with a 2 and some add-ons.

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Just to let you all know, my mate Wes Edens has been sent a letter from myself asking extremely nicely if he would purchase the companies behind the Birmingham Mail and Football Insider, pay off their staff and dissolve both establishments, effective immediately. 

I will keep you posted on his response. 

Good man

35 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m really bored of the shit rags trying to sell our best players. I’m sure I saw some more made up rumours from the same “source” saying that both Grealish and Watkins could leave this summer.

They think we’re just in the league to get players ready to play for the CL clubs, plus Spurs and Arsenal.

We might as well just give up now if we sold 2 of our best players, but thankfully we neither need or want to.

The key is to ignore them,  shit like Football Insider has no credibility 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think the point @Kiwivillan is making is that we won't be spending big money to sign essentially a 'back up' striker as - 

A) it's expensive and we need to strengthen elsewhere first.

b) no one is going to want to sit on our bench if we spend lots on the likes of Tammy Abraham or equivalent.

Personally I think a loan for a Mcgoldrick type signing would be a decent short term back up. My neighbour Kemar Roofe (his mum and baby's mother live on my street) again as a short term back up might be useful. I've mentioned these two as they are good at pressing from the front. I'm sure there's others out there but can't think off the top of my head. On loan btw. Yes that's a loan not permanent. 

When we're in Europe that's when more expensive strikers as competition for Ollie would be more viable for us.

The point is that I (and others) are not saying that we should sign a 'back up' striker.  We are saying that Ollie and Tammy could play in the same team WITHOUT us needing to play 4-4-2.  But I'm bored of trying to explain why and how I think that could work because it will just be ignored.

In terms of (b) I'm sorry but if we are to build on last season then there are two or three first teamers from this season who are going to have to sit on the bench for large parts of this season.  Personally, McGinn and Bertie would be the first two on my list (on the basis that AEG and Trez are not really "starters").  However, they should be being sold an "impact" role - coming on off the bench with 25-30 minutes to go.  30 minutes of McGinn in "whirlwind" mode would be excellent. 

1 minute ago, allani said:

The point is that I (and others) are not saying that we should sign a 'back up' striker.  We are saying that Ollie and Tammy could play in the same team WITHOUT us needing to play 4-4-2.  But I'm bored of trying to explain why and how I think that could work because it will just be ignored.

In terms of (b) I'm sorry but if we are to build on last season then there are two or three first teamers from this season who are going to have to sit on the bench for large parts of this season.  Personally, McGinn and Bertie would be the first two on my list (on the basis that AEG and Trez are not really "starters").  However, they should be being sold an "impact" role - coming on off the bench with 25-30 minutes to go.  30 minutes of McGinn in "whirlwind" mode would be excellent. 

Why would we move our best striker out of position to accomodate Tammy. It makes no sense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3