Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

If Utd are offloading James/van der Beek I'd be very happy to go that way... 

I think this is a good strategy. Even the top clubs are struggling for cash and need to sell players in order to go after their top targets. I think there will be some good players being sold in what will effectively be a buyers market. You are much more likely to get value for money in this scenario as opposed to trying to prise the likes of McNeil and Buendia away from clubs with no need/appetite to sell.

Am I the only one who wants a left back? Screw wingers and strikers.

We have what, Targett there and I guess Hause who has to be backup for both CB and LB. Either way, we need at least one more in these 2 positions unless you trust Engels, which I don't and we probably still need a backup regardless.

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are they not good enough for Manure?

James no 

VdB I think yes but he looks like ole is puffing his chest out and isn't interested in a player who looks like a Woodward signing that he didn't want, he's better than who they've been playing yet he can't get a sniff, definitley good enough for us

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think this is a good strategy. Even the top clubs are struggling for cash and need to sell players in order to go after their top targets. I think there will be some good players being sold in what will effectively be a buyers market. You are much more likely to get value for money in this scenario as opposed to trying to prise the likes of McNeil and Buendia away from clubs with no need/appetite to sell.

Value for money? United be looking for 30 million minimum for both and they are probably on 5 times as much wages as Buendia and McNeil

We also shouldn't be signing rejects from top 6 teams, Barkley, Delph, Drinkwater, Loftus Cheek spring to mind

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dale said:

If Utd are offloading James/van der Beek I'd be very happy to go that way... 

I would take van den Beek, but James is so limited that I would stay away from him. He runs fast, but thats it...

11 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Am I the only one who wants a left back? Screw wingers and strikers.

We have what, Targett there and I guess Hause who has to be backup for both CB and LB. Either way, we need at least one more in these 2 positions unless you trust Engels, which I don't and we probably still need a backup regardless.

No you're not

9 hours ago, messi11 said:

The Lukas Nmecha shout on here was Brilliantly. This is the kind of clever gambles we need to take.  Would be a great addition for 7-8 million. Kids got potential. 

We were definitely linked with him on loan under Bruce back in 2017 but think we signed Hogan instead .... I think this sort of signing is more realistic than Tammy (hopefully) 

VDB would be a pretty meh signing for me. Might improve and develop into a PL quality player, but right now he isn't. They gambled and it hasn't worked out.

He is in the same bag as Joelinton and Haller, and arguably Wesley.

Stay well clear. Potential we got in our youth team. We need quality.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Value for money? United be looking for 30 million minimum for both and they are probably on 5 times as much wages as Buendia and McNeil

We also shouldn't be signing rejects from top 6 teams, Barkley, Delph, Drinkwater, Loftus Cheek spring to mind

I agree with the first paragraph. Second one in principle yes, but with the caveat for every big name like Barkley there is a kid like Tariq Lamptey. Drinkwater was initially a great signing for Leicester from Utd as was Michael Keane for Burnley. There will be a lot of young talent in and around the sky 6 squads but your right we should think door just hard about signing a bigger name player from those teams. 

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

VDB would be a pretty meh signing for me. Might improve and develop into a PL quality player, but right now he isn't. They gambled and it hasn't worked out.

He is in the same bag as Joelinton and Haller, and arguably Wesley.

Stay well clear. Potential we got in our youth team. We need quality.

?????

You're talking about Donny Van De Beek to be sure yes?

He is an established Champions League player who would be two or three rungs up the ladder in terms of quality. 

He is being disgustingly treated by Solskjaer and many Utd fans are wondering why he isn't starting for them. 

I'm not saying he's anywhere near the level of Dennis Bergkamp, but it feels like a situation similar to how Arsenal picked him up where he was unhappy at Inter and the manager kept him in the dark but underneath you knew there was a class player. 

Edited by Steero113

I wonder if Ait-Nouri is a realistic target for LB if Wolves don’t sign him permanently. Cannot see them spending that much on a LB when they need funds for the new manager. Has a season under his belt and shown glimpses of his potential. 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I agree with the first paragraph. Second one in principle yes, but with the caveat for every big name like Barkley there is a kid like Tariq Lamptey. Drinkwater was initially a great signing for Leicester from Utd as was Michael Keane for Burnley. There will be a lot of young talent in and around the sky 6 squads but your right we should think door just hard about signing a bigger name player from those teams. 

Yes a young guy with something to prove i agree with but if they have received a disgusting contract or big move I wouldn't touch them

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wonder if Ait-Nouri is a realistic target for LB if Wolves don’t sign him permanently. Cannot see them spending that much on a LB when they need funds for the new manager. Has a season under his belt and shown glimpses of his potential. 

From what I saw early in the season wolves fans said there was a good player in there somewhere but he looked better suited to their 5 at the back system than their 4 at the back

They were talking about him as part of talking about cracks in Nuno + uncle Jorge giving them players, left hand not talking to the right 

• Like 1

I think players like VDB just aren't what we're about any more. Too expensive to begin with and our signings seem to have a point to prove...I think VDB (and any others from the benches of CL teams) would see Villa as a step down and lack a bit of edge.

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They may be looking for that but if there are no takers then the fee will fall if they need to sell. Agree about the wages though. That could cause a problem. 
Just because a player is deemed surplus to requirements does not make him a reject. It may mean that they just have a greater need elsewhere that needs funding. Taking your point above we would never have signed Platt, Bosnich, Martinez or of course McGrath!

I think VdB would depend on what our long term aims are with Ramsey x 2 and chuk + others

I dont think anorher loan player in isn't completely out of the question (other positions too due to our academy players needing another year) and VdB would be a good one, not based on anything in particular but I think if he goes to another PL team then his first season performances will be a massive **** you to ole 

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

They may be looking for that but if there are no takers then the fee will fall if they need to sell. Agree about the wages though. That could cause a problem. 
Just because a player is deemed surplus to requirements does not make him a reject. It may mean that they just have a greater need elsewhere that needs funding. Taking your point above we would never have signed Platt, Bosnich, Martinez or of course McGrath!

That was a different you cant compare them signings to modern day money

Plus Martinez as I also said was hungry and didnt get a ridiculous contract, he also didnt come from a top 6 club 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's not the case at all and I've never said such a thing. Surely you've noticed several posts I've made saying Pereira would be great option

Sorry 12 man squad. 😀

• Haha 1