Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Feck me, we now need to replace last seasons player of the year? 

Im out, you lot are are absolute tools. 

Midfield is not good enough, full backs not good enough but we should expect a top 7 finish and European football otherwise Smith out. Tuanzebe should play as DCM and everyone thought it would be easy to replace Grealish. 

Sure I missed something, not read through most of the threads after the game yesterday.

If we can get that bit of class in who plays CDM we'll be fine.  Lots of work to do this week on the training ground but it's never easy putting several new players in the team at the same time.  Pre season wasn't great but its the hands we've been dealt so let's just crack on and get down VP next weekend. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Midfield is not good enough, full backs not good enough but we should expect a top 7 finish and European football otherwise Smith out. Tuanzebe should play as DCM and everyone thought it would be easy to replace Grealish. 

Sure I missed something, not read through most of the threads after the game yesterday.

Well we were told to expect champions league within 18 months by the manager a week ago, then Watford walked through a team that apparently doesn't need strengthening. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Well we were told to expect champions league within 18 months by the manager a week ago, then Watford walked through a team that apparently doesn't need strengthening. 

He actually said that? That's hilarious. 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Midfield is not good enough, full backs not good enough but we should expect a top 7 finish and European football otherwise Smith out. Tuanzebe should play as DCM and everyone thought it would be easy to replace Grealish

Don't think i know anybody who said it would be easy to replace Grealish

2 minutes ago, sne said:

He actually said that? That's hilarious. 

Yep:

"We at Aston Villa are probably 18 months behind where we needed to be to keep Jack but Jack will show his worth on the highest stage of all in the Champions League, as he did in the Euros in the summer."

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Midfield is not good enough, full backs not good enough but we should expect a top 7 finish and European football otherwise Smith out.

So half of the team is not good enough but Smith should be sacked if we don’t finish top 7?

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Tuanzebe should play as DCM

So a guy that has never played at DCM in the PL should play there for a team you expect to get top 7?

Honestly this place  has lost its bloody mind 

Just now, av1 said:

So half of the team is not good enough but Smith should be sacked if we don’t finish top 7?

So a guy that has never played at DCM in the PL should play there for a team you expect to get top 7?

Honestly this place  has lost its bloody mind 

Should probably clarify that those are not my opinions but ones I've seen on this forum today. 

2 minutes ago, markc said:

Don't think i know anybody who said it would be easy to replace Grealish

Me neither, but it's been stated by some posters today that this was the case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Yep:

"We at Aston Villa are probably 18 months behind where we needed to be to keep Jack but Jack will show his worth on the highest stage of all in the Champions League, as he did in the Euros in the summer."

I don't read that as "we expect to be in the CL in 18 months" 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

I don't read that as "we expect to be in the CL in 18 months" 

Then how else would you read that? Maybe not CL, but just europe?

I should add that I think people overanalyze statements from the manager and other higher ups from the club too much. As if they've meticulously planned out every word they were about to say. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

7 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Really good point. If we are taking yesterdays performance as an overall idea of how we will do this season then we have to take Deanos words  as gospel 3 days ago that he believes we were 18 months behind a point where we could keep Jack and his words 2 days ago that he is happy with his squad. 

The worry is that on the second point he is obviously telling porkies but on the first point he believes that we are that close. 

We are obviously not that close and were extremely underprepared. 

Bailey and Buendia have both come out and said it wasnt the result they expected. I don't like that word expected. Because everyone knows there is no easy game in the Premier League. Wasnt the result that they had prepared for . Wasnt the result they had hoped for . Yes those 2 make sense. But for a team starting their 3rd season in the premier league i wouldnt ever expect to roll a team over. .

One of our mottos is Prepared. Dean needs to ensure this doesnt happen again this season if ever

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Then how else would you read that? Maybe not CL, but just europe?

Maybe as we need 18 months of strengthening to have a squad with players closer to Grealish quality and he was not willing to wait that long and wanted CL football.

European football the season after next seems a sensible thing to aim for. CL is a pipe dream however ambitious our owners are. City, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool are decades ahead of us.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Me neither, but it's been stated by some posters today that this was the case.

Hadn't read those posts, but I did skip a fair bit of it due to some of the OTT reactions.

Anyway, hopefully we can get 3 points in the big relegation scrap against Newcastle next, otherwise i'd say were as good as down.😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Really good point. If we are taking yesterdays performance as an overall idea of how we will do this season then we have to take Deanos words  as gospel 3 days ago that he believes we were 18 months behind a point where we could keep Jack and his words 2 days ago that he is happy with his squad. 

The worry is that on the second point he is obviously telling porkies but on the first point he believes that we are that close. 

We are obviously not that close and were extremely underprepared. 

Bailey and Buendia have both come out and said it wasnt the result they expected. I don't like that word expected. Because everyone knows there is no easy game in the Premier League. Wasnt the result that they had prepared for . Wasnt the result they had hoped for . Yes those 2 make sense. But for a team starting their 3rd season in the premier league i wouldnt ever expect to roll a team over. .

One of our mottos is Prepared. Dean needs to ensure this doesnt happen again this season if ever

How do you know that's what they meant though? You're just making assumptions because you don't like a word.

Just now, sne said:

Maybe as we need 18 months of strengthening to have a squad with players closer to Grealish quality and he was not willing to wait that long and wanted CL football.

European football the season after next seems a sensible thing to aim for. CL is a pipe dream however ambitious our owners are. City, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool are decades ahead of us.

But if Smith thinks we're probably 18 months away from having a squad with close to Grealish quality players, then surely he must also think that that squad in 18 months would be capable of competing for CL? Unless you think Smith thinks that it would require less than a CL-level squad to keep Grealish.

I was just talking about how people overanalyze statements and now I'm doing it.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

I agree with your view that CL is miles off.

The club has said though that Europe is the target for this season. Dean has said it and so have the players. I presume it is the target the board have set this year.

In that context, do you think the team is strong enough?

Edited by ejvilla