Frederik Leth — Head of Football Research

Villaphan04

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's big data marketing stuff I think.

A google of Andrew Gilligan who has the same title at City brings up this:

https://futureeverything.org/profile/andrew-gilligan/

Apps, social media, connections, slightly creepy stuff.

This is fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/19/manchester-city-fantom

And this is creepy too:

https://www.businesscloud.co.uk/news/how-man-city-are-using-social-media-to-understand-fans/

So going by that, he's essentially paid to monetise the way we feel through analysis of everything we put on the internet or in message apps or whatever data he can get his hands on on behalf of the club.

I could do it cheaper, we like fish puns, Kenneth Williams and Jack Grealish.

Trawl thorugh social media and other platforms to gauge fan feeling???

Urm......do any of these businesses (ranging from Football Clubs to......Governments??), not realise that the vast majority of people highly active on social media have the IQ of a shoe, and the emotional maturity of a......shoe????

Edited by MaVilla

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

They pour mustard sauce over fish, there. True story. I went there one winter a long time ago, it was great. Also had the best, actually second best thinking about it, italian meal I've ever eaten. 

An Italian meal is not Italian meal unless they use a ridiculously large pepper mill to put over your pasta. And adding extra cheese over a mountain of melted cheese.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Haha 3

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

An Italian meal is not Italian meal unless they use a ridiculously large pepper pot to put over your pasta. And adding extra cheese over a mountain of melted cheese.

Regardless of the country I've been in. I've never had a meal that hasn't been improved using this technique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Urm......do any of these businesses (ranging from Football Clubs to......Governments??), not realise that the vast majority of people highly active on social media have the IQ of a shoe, and the emotional maturity of a......shoe????

Yeah but at least shoes have soles.

I'll get my coat.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

An Italian meal is not Italian meal unless they use a ridiculously large pepper mill to put over your pasta. And adding extra cheese over a mountain of melted cheese.

Fresh Pepper Freshly Ground GIF - FreshPepper FreshlyGround PepperBoy -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Back to the football, this appointment, the setting up of the role seems like another sign, not that we need one, of the club under our owners doing more and more to set Villa up to do all it can to advance and gain an edge. This isn't settling for comfortable mid table or just muddling along doing what everyone else does. It's trying to get an advantage through knowledge and understanding, to lead rather than follow. I hope it works well.

Totally agree, For the first time in a long time we appear to have tiered structures throughout the club from the top, to the academy right through to the first team that are actually joined up. 

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well if this bloke's job is monitoring fan behaviour on social media, his head's going to explode after a read of VT. Welcome to the asylum. 

He'd be better off to Leth it be?

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

No they don't and this reflects strongly in how we are treated as fans, consumers and citizens.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Now, oddly Ben Smith at Chelsea seems to do an entirely different job.

His focus is on using data to maximise performace and development at youth level.

https://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/world-leaders-in-sports-performance-to-speak-at-summit/

https://channels.theinnovationenterprise.com/articles/analytics-to-create-the-next-home-grown-prodigy-at-chelsea

So yeah, we're the third team in the country to have a Head of Football research - although the first two do completely different jobs.

That suggests to me that the people writing the article on Frederick Leth also have no real idea what the job title means.

His experience suggests to me we're getting a sports scientist type of Head of Football Research not a big-data-mining-marketing-fan-behaviour type of Head of Football Research - which is good, that job at Man City is really creepy.

I'm going with that, he looks a bit of a geek 🤓

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well if this bloke's job is monitoring fan behaviour on social media, his head's going to explode after a read of VT. Welcome to the asylum. 

He’ll be telling the board that we have to be better with marketing because even when we win some fans don’t know because they have a melt down about subs and player positioning for four days as if we lost.

Gary Vaynerchuk Hello GIF by GaryVee

• Haha 1

Â