General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

14 hours ago, sne said:

Starting to think this is some sort of Aussie revenge for us sending Ross McCormack to them. Why else would you fly a ref that is this shit to the other side of the globe. The PL has enough useless refs that they don't need to import more of them from Australia.

We sent RM over because they sent Rolf Harris over.

• Like 1

This whole thing with studs showing is absurd.

Celtic had a man sent off against Ath Madrid who dared to wear football boots whilst trying to block a ball.  Ath Madrid player essentially kicks up into his studs - yellow card given on the field, but then VAR do a classic freeze frame showing studs on shin (zero context).  Overturned, red card.

It's a nonsense, there's no danger there.  Studs doesn't = horror challenge every time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

This whole thing with studs showing is absurd.

Celtic had a man sent off against Ath Madrid who dared to wear football boots whilst trying to block a ball.  Ath Madrid player essentially kicks up into his studs - yellow card given on the field, but then VAR do a classic freeze frame showing studs on shin (zero context).  Overturned, red card.

It's a nonsense, there's no danger there.  Studs doesn't = horror challenge every time.

As with havertz last week there's a difference between diving in to block and diving in to try and win the ball

Diving in to block you are likely to leave the ground and raise your foot

Add it to the list of things that refs don't know what they're seeing

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m still perplexed about the game yesterday. Firstly ref gives a pen for handball. Once checked it, didn’t think it was a pen, ok fair enough. But how the hell was it not a corner? 

I am assuming the commentators went on about it, ad nausea, like they did with Boubacar's it  over the bar shot? 

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m still perplexed about the game yesterday. Firstly ref gives a pen for handball. Once checked it, didn’t think it was a pen, ok fair enough. But how the hell was it not a corner? 

It's because the ref blew for a pen, thus negating anything that happened after the whistle. Had he not blown and there been a VAR check for a pen, then it would've been a corner.

Because play stopped on the whistle, the restart required a dropped ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

It's because the ref blew for a pen, thus negating anything that happened after the whistle. Had he not blown and there been a VAR check for a pen, then it would've been a corner.

Smart arse 👍

Actually it was because the ref is useless, hates the Villa and is a total word removed. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

any penalty overturn is a dropped ball to the keeper.

7 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

I’d say it’s impossible that the ball was still in play by the time the ref blew the whistle. Guess I won’t blame the ref for this one but the rules clearly lack common sense.

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I’d say it’s impossible that the ball was still in play by the time the ref blew the whistle. Guess I won’t blame the ref for this one but the rules clearly lack common sense.

It doesn't really matter if the ball had gone out by the time the ref blows his whistle, as the play stops based on the event triggering the whistle and not the time elapsed between the "penalty" and the whistle being blown. 

It would be better if we were able to contest the dropped ball, but I'm not sure if that's a thing any more.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

It doesn't really matter if the ball had gone out by the time the ref blows his whistle, as the play stops based on the event triggering the whistle and not the time elapsed between the "penalty" and the whistle being blown. 

It would be better if we were able to contest the dropped ball, but I'm not sure if that's a thing any more.

Okay I can see the way you put it, it’s as if the ball never went out of play and was stopped at the possible penalty incident.

It simultaneously makes sense and doesn’t - in this case, the two logical outcomes are either a penalty or a corner though.

But it’s small fry relative to the major rule **** ups that exist so I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

• Like 2

On Saturdays game you had one lino who if he saw a offside put his flag up immediately and the other one let the attack play out for half hour.

Now I know why they don't put the flag up, I agree with it. It kills attacks that could result in goals for human error. I get it absolutely.

...and I know giving referees or assistant referees the job of actually making a decision or using their common sense nowadays is near suicide.....but if someone is offside by 5 yards like happened numerous times. 

Put. Up. The. ****. Flag.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

On Saturdays game you had one lino who if he saw a offside put his flag up immediately and the other one let the attack play out for half hour.

Now I know why they don't put the flag up, I agree with it. It kills attacks that could result in goals for human error. I get it absolutely.

...and I know giving referees or assistant referees the job of actually making a decision or using their common sense nowadays is near suicide.....but if someone is offside by 5 yards like happened numerous times. 

Put. Up. The. ****. Flag.

…until a linesman does this and then it transpires that a defender had made an attempt to play the ball or something and it brushes his sock. Or he didn’t spot the random defender at the end who was obscured by an attacker who plays the attacker onside by one pube.

This is the price that is paid to dissect the minutia of every decision. Is it worth it for the increased 3% or whatever it is we are getting in correct decisions?

Just ditch the whole thing. It has killed the game dead. Go to any non-VAR league and no one is missing it. 

• Like 3

Howard Webb's propaganda crew...

The issue is that there's more contact on Gabriel for the Newcastle goal than on Haaland for the City pen. In the audio they even say there's 2 hands in the back which for me is an automatic foul. Especially when it's a defender.

I think the Newcastle goal was fine. Gabriel is trying to go for a diving header so it looks like he's been pushed, Joelinton's hands might be on his back but its a natural place to put your hands when you are running into someone, the key for me is that I don't think he has put any force into it at all. 

I'd rather Arsenal have won as well, we need Newcastle to stay as far below us as possible. 

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Howard Webb's propaganda crew...

The issue is that there's more contact on Gabriel for the Newcastle goal than on Haaland for the City pen. In the audio they even say there's 2 hands in the back which for me is an automatic foul. Especially when it's a defender.

That programme is a complete waste of time and as you say, a propaganda machine for VAR.

2 hands in the back = foul in my book. Since when was it ok to push people and for it not to be a foul? 

If that was against Villa i'd be livid.

4 hours ago, imavillan said:

That programme is a complete waste of time and as you say, a propaganda machine for VAR.

2 hands in the back = foul in my book. Since when was it ok to push people and for it not to be a foul? 

If that was against Villa i'd be livid.

There needs to be someone challeging Howard Webb, instead of Michael owen just agreeing with everything. 2 hands on his back no foul, "ohh, okaaay".

Also I'm not sure it's good to have an assistant VAR in the box too, still to many voices including the operator, or is it needed cause 1 referee just not good enough, talks volumes. Don't debate it between yourselves, make the f****ing decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I wonder when it’s the players and the coaches turn to take their share of the blame for the standard of refereeing and insane rules. You have players constantly surrounding and intimidating the refs, whining all game, diving, pretending to be injured, coaches coaching that behaviour, coaches and now clubs as a whole laying into officials every game and before and after. The refereeing environment is impossible, the pressure is far too high and it’s created a “us and them” environment of refereeing at EVERY level of football to more of an extent than we’ve ever had before. Asking to hear decisions and for referees to be more “engaging” with the players is a hilarious joke when it all it does is just open them up to even more scrutiny and abuse. Ive refereed and there is no ‘engaging’ with players - they just want an argument and a fight. 

100%.

There's been so much chat about not having players surround the ref, only the captains talking etc - has anything ever been done about that?  They need to take a hard line and just start booking absolutely everyone who isn't the captain.  Then, the next step is to have them mic'd up.  So we can listen to the conversations had between the referee and the captain and then VAR if required.  Refereeing would be so much more understood.

At the moment it seems like people don't want that, they just want some hard blame game.

Lots of cards in this weekend in the PL. Coincidence or have the refs been given new directives after the international break?

44 cards with 2 being red after 7.5 games feels like a lot but maybe it isn't. 

Â