General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The audio again proves how VAR is a racket to protect incompetence - they aren’t that interested in listening to those with expertise. Too afraid or unwilling to criticise their own. 

the crazy thing for me about it all is how many times the guy says "cant do anything" they **** can, its a dead ball, just run the check again, either grow a pair of balls or have a little bit of something about you, its mad that they all sit on their hands knowing its the wrong decision rather than using their initiative

cant do anything because the game has restarted is absolute pathetic bullshit

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Utter, utter horseshit.

An opportunity to be the bigger man and acknowledge the mistake like an adult but comes out with this bollox. Pep said similar deflectionary crap earlier too.

Neither accepts any responsibility that they were the leading voices advocating for the introduction of VAR based on their accusation that the refs weren't up to it and they never got decisions going their way.

They have the best resources, the best players, the most success but it's always unfair and a hardship when things don't go quite their way.

Pricks the lot of em.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This is all to do with ensuring that any debatable var decisions go his way for the rest of the season.  Vintage SirAlex 

100%, happened last season.  Can't remember the incident, but Klopp was moaning about it for weeks, and Liverpool got loads of dodgy VAR decisions go their way.  Whinging works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

If you thing the surrounding and harassment of referees is bad now imagine what it would be like in a world where they can disregard play and go back to an earlier point in the match to redo it. 

I don’t think this necessarily is how it plays out. After all the players/manager can’t see VaR. what I’m suggesting is that in circumstances like what happened re the Diaz goal, where the VaR officials have come to a clear conclusion but accidentally miscommunicated it, that it’s an entirely sensible outcome to just pull the play back and say that a major error has been made.

Thats very different to the VaR officials reaching a decision which the teams/managers happen to disagree with.

And for those who talk about negative precedents. Do you really think that taking the play back and correcting the error would have resulted in a worse precedent than what’s just happened? We now have a manager calling for the entire game to be replayed ffs 

• Like 1

I genuinely the most satisfying football viewing experiences are those matches - early cup games etc - that dont use VAR.

Its just simpler and you  know within a second whether the goal has been given so uninhibited celebrations can ensue

I also think its rich that pundits are up on their high horse about all this - it has been the evolution of their hyper-focused dissection of every decision and criticism of mistakes that has brought us to this point. For years they would replay every decision after the game frame by frame with the benefit of time, no pressure and multiple pairs of eyes - then slag off the officials for any errors

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the crazy thing for me about it all is how many times the guy says "cant do anything" they **** can, its a dead ball, just run the check again, either grow a pair of balls or have a little bit of something about you, its mad that they all sit on their hands knowing its the wrong decision rather than using their initiative

cant do anything because the game has restarted is absolute pathetic bullshit

I get in that scenario the rules say you can't call play back or reverse a decision that was made. But the fact the game carried on after a dead ball shouldn't really be a factor.

Play regularly carries on for longer than the period that had elapsed in this case,  while checks are being made, if the ball doesnt go out of play.

The fact a deadball happened didn't have to be the end point for a decision to be reached there. The rulebook says it does though. 

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

FA Rule 5 subsection 2:

“The referee may not change a restart decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official if play has restarted or the referee has signalled the end of the first or second half (including extra time) and left the field of play or abandoned the match.”

I don’t get the extra fuss with this case anyway. Referees make mistakes, it happens 🤷‍♂️

However, the United penalty after full time whistle was blown seems to contradict this rule , so maybe there is precedent for exceptional circumstances?

It would create a potential precedent problem for how long is too long after an objectively incorrect decsison is realised, but fundamentally you can build that into the rules after this cock-up happened to add clarity going forwards. If they didn't rush the decision, and have such a loose crap process in place, the same situation wouldn't arise again anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Liverpool will get decisions galore fie the next few minths aftee this i gurantee it

Glad we don't have them coming up

Mate of mine is an Everton supporter I said exactly the same to him...."god help who they have next at home!".....his reply......"its Everton!"         the look on his face was utter utter dejection....

the thing is though they've royally royally **** up

they've made a really basic error in communication which has resulted in a goal not being given

the answer would be to say bollocks to the rule book and make the right decision and give the goal

how can they not have the common sense or intelligence to see that's the lesser of the 2 evils? no one is spending a week talking about the overriding the rule book to ultimately achieve the correct decision

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

However, the United penalty after full time whistle was blown seems to contradict this rule , so maybe there is precedent for exceptional circumstances?

The exceptional circumstances in this case were that the decision favoured Man Utd. :detect:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they've made a really basic error in communication which has resulted in a goal not being given

the answer would be to say bollocks to the rule book and make the right decision and give the goal

how can they not have the common sense or intelligence to see that's the lesser of the 2 evils? no one is spending a week talking about the overriding the rule book to ultimately achieve the correct decision

Don't worry, they'll get a penalty in their next match to make up for it. 😉

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I'm not sure the Spurs fans would have taken it well at the time.  Maybe even cause a riot.  

Â