General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, tinker said:

The ref could have asked Spurs to allow Liverpool to score a goal, I'm sure this type of thing has happened before..........😆

I'm not sure it has - managers have done it, but referees can't.

If the chubby Aussie lad had seen it on a screen, he could have instructed his players to let one in, but it seems a bit unlikely to me.

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree with the post, but on this bit, I dunno. I don't think there are that many "glaring" errors - if there's 1 a week on average, I'd be surprised. I accept there are "contentious" or "ones some people don't agree with". There's been over the past couple of seasons maybe 5 or so absolute howler games - Spurs Brighton, Spurs Liverpool, Man U wolves, but even then it's been quite often not correcting an on field error, rather than wrongly overruling a correct decision.

For some reason, the standard is just lower than it ought to be and the refs too interested in protecting their colleagues.

It seems (from a distance) to be better implemented almost everywhere else. Certainly internationals, which is the kind of level the Premier League ought to be matching.

I think that many glaring errors is too many with VAR. 

It's interesting that the PGMOL finish their statement with a thing that says, It happened, it was wrong, we know why, we've put something in place to make sure it won't happen again and that's that.

I wonder if that will be enough for Liverpool and the immense chip on their shoulder?

Just now, desensitized43 said:

Really chaotic and unprofessional. It sounds like they’re all talking over each other, rushing around to try and get the game restarted quickly rather than focus on getting to the right decision, swearing. It’s just absolutely atrocious.

compare that audio to rugby where the referee on the pitch is in charge of all the officials, asking them specific questions and essentially running the conversation in the direction he wants.

if i can make a case for the defence, the time taken to make decisions has frequently been a stick to beat them with. whilst i'm not surprised by the dialogue, it was very noticable how quickly they were trying to get the decision made, and i expect there's been feedback that decisions are taking too long

i'm not excusing it. it was a **** up, no doubt. but in trying to make things quicker, they've got a decision wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

if i can make a case for the defence, the time taken to make decisions has frequently been a stick to beat them with. whilst i'm not surprised by the dialogue, it was very noticable how quickly they were trying to get the decision made, and i expect there's been feedback that decisions are taking too long

i'm not excusing it. it was a **** up, no doubt. but in trying to make things quicker, they've got a decision wrong

Oh definitely. There’s been criticism of how long it takes when the decision seemed to be pretty obvious but I think this will be a real turning point for how we all look at VAR. If they need more time to ensure the correct decisions get made then I think that’s a trade off we’ll all accept.

Part of my criticism with the speed of the decision making was also around time keeping where they weren’t adding on the time correctly at the end of the game. Personally I’d like to see the clock stop for VAR.

If it didn't happen in this match it would have happened in another match before long, it's rushed and the language used to confim he's onside is unnecessarily ambiguous. "Check complete, that's fine" could mean a number of things depending on the context, a more definitive statement such as "check complete, he's onside" or "check complete, the goal is good" needs to be used, why that isn't blatantly obvious to those implementing VAR I don't know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Oh definitely. There’s been criticism of how long it takes when the decision seemed to be pretty obvious but I think this will be a real turning point for how we all look at VAR. If they need more time to ensure the correct decisions get made then I think that’s a trade off we’ll all accept.

Part of my criticism with the speed of the decision making was also around time keeping where they weren’t adding on the time correctly at the end of the game. Personally I’d like to see the clock stop for VAR.

yep. can't argue with this.

36 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Maybe they could have asked Spurs to let Liverpool walk the ball in the goal like Bielsa did with us.  It would take one hell of an act of sportsmanship on the part of Spurs.

I could see Ange allowing it but Levy would have ran down from the stands to not allow it

14 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Really chaotic and unprofessional. It sounds like they’re all talking over each other, rushing around to try and get the game restarted quickly rather than focus on getting to the right decision, swearing. It’s just absolutely atrocious.

compare that audio to rugby where the referee on the pitch is in charge of all the officials, asking them specific questions and essentially running the conversation in the direction he wants.

I hate the comparisons to rugby, I really do. It’s an entirely different sport with entirely different phases of play. 

The refs should be mic'd up, we should hear what VAR are saying, it should be being played for everyone at home and in the stadium so we all know what is going on. I find it funny how the authorities in the game always go on about how players should respect the refs, if the refs were mic'd up it would eradicate all abuse they are getting, as players won't want their expletives being played out for the whole world to hear. 

The fans in the stadium need to know what is going on with VAR decisions. I've had it many times where I've been in the stadium and I've looked at WhatsApp to see if a goal is offside or not through mates watching the game on a delayed illegal stream! We pay £40 a game to sit there like idiots not knowing what is going on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I hate the comparisons to rugby, I really do. It’s an entirely different sport with entirely different phases of play. 

True but is it too much to ask that the referee take charge of all the officials and those officials talk to each other clearly and professionally!?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It is, but they could learn a lot about how to effectively and concisely communicate. Phases of play has nothing to do with it, the game is stopped at this point, and it's an absolute mess

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It is an entirely different sport, and similar to cricket there are far more regular breaks in play. But at the point the VAR starts the check, the game is paused. There's no need to rush anything at that point.  The suggestion to stop the clock for VAR checks is a good one.  It's a new part of the game that 90 minutes was never intended to cater for.

Do that and then it barely matters how long it takes. Yes, we don't want to waste time or have late games finishing 15 minutes later than they already do, but acknowledging that it takes a few extra seconds to reliably get the right factual offside decision is something most will accept. Until they just accept automated decisions for offsides.

It's three minute subjective calls that are the big problem.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Totally agree with this. I have a lot of sympathy for them in making the actual mistake, they’re trying to be as quick as they can to keep people happy, a mistake was made, they’re human. I just lose sympathy where the VAR bottled calling a halt and correcting the mistake. 

• Like 1

Â