Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

rjw63

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Compare Jan's games where they have played tougher sides than us yet got more points. 

We couldn't have asked for a better set of fixtures and we won one game against the worst team in the league by only a one goal margin. 

Sorry liek Smith but that's not good enough points return 

Then we can compare the away games he had previous months if we are only selecting certain timeframes

Fact is Smith has more points since he got here including drubbing Monk with not his squad 

Edited by Zatman

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Fact is Smith has more points since he got here including drubbing Monk with not his squad 

Yea it's easy to manage during the honeymoon period.

Right now and how we are playing i would not feel confident at all against Blues.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Right now and how we are playing i would not feel confident at all against Blues.

I agree. They usually do well against any side at home so when they are even more up for it. I think they will beat us. 

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Then we can compare the away games he had previous months if we are only selecting certain timeframes

The game we luckily escaped being two down before twenty minutes you mean? 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The game we luckily escaped being two down before twenty minutes you mean? 

The game which our 34 year old right back walked through the entire well organised defence and scored with his bad foot

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

honeymoon periods are myths in football. Most Villa managers in recent seasons never had a so called honeymoon period Garde, Lambert, Houllier, RDM 

15 hours ago, Tayls said:

You’re missing the point. 

The debate is,  Monk is doing a better job than Smith. Smith has had, what 15 games, and joined part way through a season,  Monk has had 43, including a full summer window. 

But anyway, yes we have spent a lot under the previous managers, have all of those purchases worked out for us? No...it doesn’t matter how much we spend if the style of play/tactics/morale etc is all wrong. This is what Smith is having to change - notice how barely anything was spent in the last window (his first window with us). And just because Birmingham haven’t spent anything doesn’t mean they don’t know how to play as a team with some decent players... 

it really is a stupid comparison, and to say that Smith isn’t doing as well as Monk is just rediculous. 

Most people in August on here were predicting SHA in the bottom 6.

Didn't they also only win one of their opening 10 games aswell....so they didn't even have a good start to fall back upon.

Monk has done very well there. Remember he took over from Cotterill who'd just guided them to seven straight defeats with them barely scoring a goal, they looked certs to go down this time last year.

His next move will be crucial as didn't work out for him at Boro or Leeds.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The game which our 34 year old right back walked through the entire well organised defence and scored with his bad foot

I think had that second goal gone in it could have been a very different score. 

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Most people in August on here were predicting SHA in the bottom 6.

Didn't they also only win one of their opening 10 games aswell....so they didn't even have a good start to fall back upon.

Monk has done very well there. Remember he took over from Cotterill who'd just guided them to seven straight defeats with them barely scoring a goal, they looked certs to go down this time last year.

His next move will be crucial as didn't work out for him at Boro or Leeds.

I think Monk will go like Rowett, can push above your weight at a small club playing negative football but move up to a bigger club and have to expand the game and just cant do it. People seem to forget that Monk is a reason Swansea changed from passing football and lost the identity and led from comfortable mid table to relegation candidates 

Birmingham are a good side at the moment because they are playing as a unit - with one or two really good players.  

We are capable of playing as a unit when we have certain personnel fit, at the moment we are putting in a lot of new or returning players to make up our team, so we are having to learn quickly. We also have players, who, as we know, are a bit crap. So Smith is working with what he has available to him. 

We’ve beaten Derby and Middlesbrough on their own patch, and was robbed of beating West Brom. We took it to Leeds at our place but came up short. Yes we have been struggling since last month but that is because we have been missing key players and have had to fill in with some returning loans, as well as fitting in a new keeper who has come to a new country to play. 

Monk hasn’t had to worry about these things.

The two managers cannot be properly compared against each this season. 

Edited by Tayls
Typo

22 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Monk is performing miracles with an awful team.

We keep saying / writing this.

Is it not just that this is a shit league but Villa are making a real bloody dogs dinner of it.

There fairly crap squad is about right in the middle third of the table possibly.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Monk will go like Rowett, can push above your weight at a small club playing negative football but move up to a bigger club and have to expand the game and just cant do it. People seem to forget that Monk is a reason Swansea changed from passing football and lost the identity and led from comfortable mid table to relegation candidates 

Nah Swansea he did fine, took over 13/14 when they were looking over their shoulder towards bottom 3 and kept them up comfortably, 14/15 they finished 8th I think and yes 15/16 they lost their way but ultimately none of the other managers they appointed afterwards did better (they all did worse actually) which shows like us they lost their way at boardroom level.

I'm not saying he's amazing but overall you look at his year at SHA and he really couldn't have done much better when you consider he had to pick up pieces of 'arry massively inflating the wage bill and all the ramfications they still have to suffer from this season.

Frustrating as if they'd made another poor appointment this time last season they'd now safely be in league 1.

Â