Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

no Edouard talk this window?

He's been poor this season. A lot of Celtic fans seem to be saying his attitude has been shit. 

I don't think Dean wants players like that in the squad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

So we spunk 20 million on max aarons to sit on a bench. He ain't budging Cash.

Is he not? So a player wanted by loads of huge teams who is 20 and has performed well for a few years is no match for a player who has played that position for a year.....

yea alright 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Cash has been excellent. We’re not going to spend big money on replacing a player in a position where we are already strong. Perhaps once were more established and playing regular European football that may change. However even the richest clubs with the strongest squads can’t just buy every player that is the latest popular media hit, whether they live up to the hype or not. 

Cash has been superb for sure, but Guilbert and Elmo both look likely to be off by next season.

So whilst we have high hopes for Kaine Kessler, he is still only 17......so we do need someone to challenge Cash.

I know the question is would we spend £20m on that player.

I’d say why not? Lots of people are saying we should buy Wijndal from AZ to challenge Targett and I agree - but he’s likely to cost c£12m-£15m so there’s really not that much difference between him and Aarons price wise.

The other thing to consider is that Elmo has quite often come on as a sub late in a game as a defensive RW. When Elmo goes, Cash (who used to play RW) could push forward and Aarons slip in at RB? 

Not sure why Amavi and other left backs are being mentioned when Targett is in the form of his career and has been one of our most consistent players this season. The only left back we'd need is a young prospect to be second choice instead of Taylor but there's no rush for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Not sure why Amavi and other left backs are being mentioned when Targett is in the form of his career and has been one of our most consistent players this season. The only left back we'd need is a young prospect to be second choice instead of Taylor but there's no rush for that.

Agree that Targett has also been superb this season, but Taylor is gash and out of contract in the Summer.

As with Cash and his cover, I think it’s because the role of the FB is soooo important in today’s game......especially when you play with inverted wingers as we do.

The argument for a Wijndal, Amavi or Rico Henry is because of that. I’d also add that should we get one of those three players, all of them could come on as a defensive LW sub late on in the game (like Elmo does at RW).

It all depends on our ambitions and where we finish in the league this season, but if we do genuinely want to be a consistent top 6 club, we need the squad to match.

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

Is he not? So a player wanted by loads of huge teams who is 20 and has performed well for a few years is no match for a player who has played that position for a year.....

yea alright 

So u want to sign Max Aarons instead of Matt Cash ? You'd be pretty much in the minority thinking that's wanted or necessary.

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

I agree up until the last but, I’d like us to replace Taylor as soon as possible.

I’m almost certain we will be in the market for a striker/forward  in this window even if only on loan. Wesley is still a long way off returning and Davis is just not sufficient back up to Watkins. 

I get the feeling we wanted Watkins and Wilson in the summer and had we pulled that off we would have had the perfect back up option, we still need that back up.

We’ve been linked with King from Bournemouth a lot but not convinced he was on the radar in the summer, I’ve not seen much of him so haven’t a view on him.

The lad from Celtic you would think would be too much especially in January.

Beyond that I’m struggling for options although my Football Manager brain is kicking in and saying Diego Costa in another John Terry inspired connection to come in as player coach for Watkins! He’ll probably end up at Wolves though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Mentioned him loads of time but I'd be delighted if we could sign Isak Bergmann-Johannesson from IFK Norrköping. (Son of our old player Joey Guðjónsson)

Smashing young player and extremely versatile, think he's played every position except GK for Norrköping in the top flight and he's still only 17

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1