18 team Premier League?

danceoftheshamen

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why do Southampton get throwned into the big boys? They still are fairly recent to the PL. Not too long ago they were playing Championship football.

It's nonsense - Longest current run without being relegated.  Seemingly specifically designed to exclude us.  I think they were hoping that Southampton, West Ham etc would be so grateful that they'd back it instantly where we might raise more objections (as we have over extra subs etc).  Good to see that West Ham have come out against it (at least for now) because it wasn't even discussed with them.  It's truly shocking on so many levels.

Without the power grab, there are some good proposals, but it'll never get through like this. 

Just now, rubberman said:

It's nonsense - Longest current run without being relegated.  Seemingly specifically designed to exclude us.  I think they were hoping that Southampton, West Ham etc would be so grateful that they'd back it instantly where we might raise more objections (as we have over extra subs etc).  Good to see that West Ham have come out against it (at least for now) because it wasn't even discussed with them.  It's truly shocking on so many levels.

Without the power grab, there are some good proposals, but it'll never get through like this. 

It's a stupid criteria. So if Everton got relegated this season and immediately came back up they wouldn't be included in that longest serving clubs group despite playing in 29 of the 30 premier league seasons?

• Like 2

These so called priviliged clubs can decide if potential new owners can take over a club or not.

That's outrageous. We all know what this means. They want to keep the big clubs at the top and the lower clubs at bottom.

Wealthy owners is the only reason it's even a possibility to compete with the top 6.

14 minutes ago, rubberman said:

It's nonsense - Longest current run without being relegated.  Seemingly specifically designed to exclude us.  

I wouldn’t say it’s specifically designed to exclude us but it’s almost certainly a tenuous means to be able to include Man City.

• Like 2

Also surprised at how many people are happy dropping down to 18 teams.  No, we’ve got the largest football pyramid in the world, why should our top flight be small?  It’s also intended as a means to start the season late so the ‘big 6’ can play loads of money spinning games overseas.  **** that, they can’t even use the reduction of fixture congestion as an excuse in that scenario.

• Like 3

This is led by American owners as they hate relegation.  They run sport as a business and cannot budget correctly if there is a chance they could lose out on the money pot if relegated.

You cannot fix footy in one country needs to be done globally with wage caps and so on or you just get the best players going to the leagues that pay the most.

If you cap wages you can then unify ticket pricing and make it cheaper for fans.  They can structure the cap down the leagues and include the reduction in salary should you be relegated.   No need for parachute payments and a level playing field for everyone.  No hugging of players to loan out and sell at a huge profit.

Obviously it won't happen but that's what I would do.

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Also surprised at how many people are happy dropping down to 18 teams.  No, we’ve got the largest football pyramid in the world, why should our top flight be small?  It’s also intended as a means to start the season late so the ‘big 6’ can play loads of money spinning games overseas.  **** that, they can’t even use the reduction of fixture congestion as an excuse in that scenario.

I don't understand why they're reducing it anyway. Just for fixture congestion? Is 4 games a season going to make that much difference?

Scrap replays in the FA Cup and if they really want to then scrap the league cup (although I don't agree with that part either. That's just one less trophy that smallER clubs actually have a chance of winning) then do that

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't understand why they're reducing it anyway. Just for fixture congestion? Is 4 games a season going to make that much difference?

Scrap replays in the FA Cup and if they really want to then scrap the league cup (although I don't agree with that part either. That's just one less trophy that smallER clubs actually have a chance of winning) then do that

4 games means 2 less home games. That's potentially a big hit in the hip pocket for the smaller clubs.

It also means more time to play "Manchester United vs Real Madrid" type pre-season games in other parts of the world that are huge money spinners and no charity shield or league cup means more time to prepare for the bigger money matches in the CL.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Or, don’t enter the league cup, make it voluntary and leave it up to who wants to be in it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Or, don’t enter the league cup, make it voluntary and leave it up to who wants to be in it.

Yeah exactly.

Also, the fixture congestion actually benefits the bigger teams. They are the ones who can afford to have squads full of world class players that can cope with that amount of games.

There have been opportunists on the back of every previous world disaster, world wars, 911, recessions, pandemics, power and money speak, it is unfortunately inevitable and this is just an opening gambit from those in power.

ManU and Liverpool have seen what's possible with what money men can achieve, ManC and Chelsea have gate crashed their party and they don't like it. All rule changes, VAR, FFP, all rules are to benefit the rich.

What we are seeing now is an attempt to make sure that the rich cannot be caught, EVER and the government should absolutely conduct an independent investigation in to what's going on with football.

If anything the game should be downsized somehow, the rich need bringing closer to the poor and not the other way around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a stupid criteria. So if Everton got relegated this season and immediately came back up they wouldn't be included in that longest serving clubs group despite playing in 29 of the 30 premier league seasons?

Exactly.

Why would everton support this idea on the subject of them? It would make it even harder for them to compete with their hated rivals liverpool

20 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Or exclude all champions league qualified teams from it 

I think making it voluntary solves the issue, don’t think there’s a need for exclusion.

Up to them if they choose to enter, which they will 9 times out of 10 because it’s a chance to win a trophy but then they can’t whinge about it either.

Of course Rick Parry couldn't actually try and help the situation, he has to take the opportunity to ruin football.

Christ we dont have much fun left, taking away whats left of football as well really pisses me off.

Just give the lower league teams some money ffs and lets get through this pandemic.

• Like 1

Just wondered if anyone else caught it on Radio 4 about 0740 this morning...

Purslow was being interviewed regarding the "plan"......I don't know how to do a linky thing but catch up/listen again is available I guess

He was very guarded in the interview and the "plan" appears to have no support from Villa but fully endorses the idea of helping lower league teams....

Worth a listen

Hope I don't get told off for not posting a link to this....!

Regards to all

Derek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â