18 team Premier League?

danceoftheshamen

1 hour ago, BOF said:

No I wouldn't. But in the same breath you have to acknowledge that we were trying to bridge the financial chasm TO the Premier League in the first place, and that's precisely where the problem starts. That the chasm exists. We did it badly, yes, and with a charlatan owner, yes.  But the point is the gap is getting bigger and bigger every year, and in order to leap across that ever-widening gap, it's becoming more difficult and the penalty for that failure is becoming ever higher, to the point where teams won't or can't even try - and at that point it basically won't be possible, and promotion will end up being little more than a token season in the limelight before **** off back down to where you came from.

This is soooo true.I mean you just have to look at the SPL,apart from Celtic and Rangers the other teams in the division might as well not be there.It has become a two horse race and has been for some time.The last thing we need is the Premier League to go the same way.

What would happen if you were to poll football fans, and ask them to 'Agree' or 'Disagree' with the following statements?:

1. It's good that the Premier League doesn't always have the same winners;
  2. The Premier League is where I want my team to be;
  3. Every team should have the chance of competing in the Premier League through the system of promotion through the leagues;
  4. English teams should be able to compete amongst the best teams in Europe;
  5. My team should buy better players;
  6. Football clubs should live within their means;
  7. Footballers are paid too much;
  8. It should be cheaper to watch football in person or on TV;
  9. It's a tragedy when a football club goes bust

I bet you'd get more than 50% of people agreeing to all of them. There's no 'solution' to football financing because what we want, as fans, is mutually contradictory, and heavily dependant not only on your last *season* but even on the outcome of your last *match*.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What we want, as fans, is mutually contradictory, and heavily dependant not only on your last *season* but even on the outcome of your last *match*.

I'm just glad that there's none of these hypocritical, contradictory and argumentative fans with their flip flopping opinions here on VillaTalk. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

What would happen if you were to poll football fans, and ask them to 'Agree' or 'Disagree' with the following statements?:

1. It's good that the Premier League doesn't always have the same winners;
  2. The Premier League is where I want my team to be;
  3. Every team should have the chance of competing in the Premier League through the system of promotion through the leagues;
  4. English teams should be able to compete amongst the best teams in Europe;
  5. My team should buy better players;
  6. Football clubs should live within their means;
  7. Footballers are paid too much;
  8. It should be cheaper to watch football in person or on TV;
  9. It's a tragedy when a football club goes bust

I bet you'd get more than 50% of people agreeing to all of them. There's no 'solution' to football financing because what we want, as fans, is mutually contradictory, and heavily dependant not only on your last *season* but even on the outcome of your last *match*.

1. yes
  2. yes, assuming there is a chance to break through to the top
  3. yes
  4. the ones that make it to the competition qualifier slots, yes
  5. yes
  6. yes
  7. very much yes
  8. yes
  9. amen

31 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm just glad that there's none of these hypocritical, contradictory and argumentative fans with their flip flopping opinions here on VillaTalk. 

Much like @osmark86, I would probably also answer 'yes' to all these questions if I was asked as well.

Just a football version of this really:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I'd like to think @Rds1983 is reputable ;)

Been called a lot of things in my life but think reputable might be a first! 

You've clearly never spoken to my wife. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Haha 1

A breakaway european super league thing seems to be threatened every year and has done for about 25 years.

Is it really something that could actually happen? Or is it one of those things that people always talk about but would never actually materialise?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

A breakaway european super league thing seems to be threatened every year and has done for about 25 years.

Is it really something that could actually happen? Or is it one of those things that people always talk about but would never actually materialise?

I can’t see it. 

They’d be going up against each of the domestic associations as well as UEFA unless it’s UEFA backed of course, but then I wonder why they’d bother when it would neutralise the champions league and other European club cup competitions. 

It’s hot air and bluster, as you say it comes around periodically it seems.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I can’t see it. 

They’d be going up against each of the domestic associations as well as UEFA unless it’s UEFA backed of course, but then I wonder why they’d bother when it would neutralise the champions league and other European club cup competitions. 

It’s hot air and bluster, as you say it comes around periodically it seems.

Exactly. And with the way the Champions League is these days that effectively IS a European super league, just obviously not a traditional league format.

I wonder if clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd do actually threaten this breakaway league as reported or is it just nonsense

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. And with the way the Champions League is these days that effectively IS a European super league, just obviously not a traditional league format.

Will be even more so when it’s expanded in the coming years 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As I always say when this topic comes up, the only purpose of the 'super league' is to form leverage that big clubs can use to get concessions out of their domestic leagues. It is extremely unlikely to ever go beyond the hypothetical, but occasionally puffing the idea can help to focus minds in respective national FAs. It seems to have been floated less frequently in the last few years, which seems to me to be a result of national authorities getting better at calling their bluff.

• Like 1

The champions league would become a proper league, the currently competition would do away with the group stage and maybe revert to the European Cup (or some bollocks branding like the 'Champions Cup sponsored by Gazprom') and be their version of the FA Cup. 

I can't see it mainly for fans of teams like Man U not wanting their team to be battered every week and if there's some sort of relegation having to come back to the prem with tail between legs. Also I think there will a lot of quite right environmental concerns about all the extra flights it will cause. 

Let them go if they want to, but ban them all from the Premier League, as soon as they agree to move to the Premier League! They can then play each other for a season or two in China, Qatar or the USA, but they can't play the teams they want to leave behind. All about money, they can't get what they want at home, so they will do it abroad. `:rant:

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Let them go and have their European super league but stipulate that if it fails and they want re entry to the domestic association they have to start at the very bottom like any other new team.

Yes, from the bottom rung of the non-league ladder as well. 

• Like 1

This new format is going to replace the Champions League. So they would have a league instead with knockout stages.

Because these clubs are going to be founding members of this competition I wonder if this means that regardless of where these teams finish in their domestic league they will still be part of the competition?

if this is the case then it’s absolute criminal and that would destroy the competition in domestics leagues.

5 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

This new format is going to replace the Champions League. So they would have a league instead with knockout stages.

Because these clubs are going to be founding members of this competition I wonder if this means that regardless of where these teams finish in their domestic league they will still be part of the competition?

if this is the case then it’s absolute criminal and that would destroy the competition in domestics leagues.

That would be the dream for such owners. Still  have domestic competition but with guaranteed NFL style super league in Europe. Would make a farce of sporting competition though. Hoover up talent too, as teams outside looking in couldn’t even offer players hope of CL qualification and the riches involved.

Maybe they’d offer a golden ticket to one team in Europe to play in the Super league competition once a season. After jumping through 1,000 qualification hoops. Horrible thought 

Â