18 team Premier League?

danceoftheshamen

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Just wondered if anyone else caught it on Radio 4 about 0740 this morning...

Purslow was being interviewed regarding the "plan"......I don't know how to do a linky thing but catch up/listen again is available I guess

He was very guarded in the interview and the "plan" appears to have no support from Villa but fully endorses the idea of helping lower league teams....

Worth a listen

Hope I don't get told off for not posting a link to this....!

Regards to all

Derek

Here you go, just forward to 1hr41

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000nf2k

• Thanks 2

Its a very dangerous game to give all the power and decision making in the hands of 6 clubs, yes 6 as you only need 2/3 votes to make a change so if all 3 of the token clubs in Everton, Southampton and West Ham say no it wont matter one bit if the other 6 say yes.

Before we know it the Premier League will be down to 12 teams with mid season money spinning competitions around the world.

I would much prefer it if these so called big clubs went away to join a European super league, and then had to join at the very bottom of the English pyramid if they ever decided to come back.

To be brutally honest I'd rather see some smaller clubs go out of business than see a closed shop at the top of the premier league.

Funny how Liverpool come up with this idea now and not when they were finishing midtable 10 years ago

• Like 1

BBC link

Project Big Picture is "highly unlikely to get traction within the Premier League," says Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow.

The plan's backers want to reduce the Premier League from 20 to 18 clubs and scrap the EFL Cup.

Premier League shareholders will meet on Wednesday to discuss the project and finances in football.

"I don't think we should give too much credence to this particular plan," Purslow told Radio 4's Today programme.

The proposals, led by Liverpool and Manchester United, became public earlier this week and have split opinion.

Under the plan, the EFL would get 25% of all future TV deals, which would be negotiated jointly, plus a £250m bail-out.

However, it would also see more power transferred to the so-called 'big six' clubs in the Premier League.

It would need 14 of the 20 current top-flight clubs to vote in favour.

"I think it is highly unlikely that this plan, as it has been described in public, is going to get much traction within the Premier League itself," Purslow said. 

'Breakaway league threatened by Project Big Picture organisers'

Radical reforms could have 'damaging impact'

"The idea that somehow the Premier League does not already take a hugely important role in funding the whole of the pyramid is fantasy.

"I think a much broader, long-term plan for football is what I would expect to come from the Premier League."

EFL chairman Rick Parry said the plan was "in the best interests" of football in this country and praised both clubs for coming up with it.

The Premier League previously said the plan "could have a damaging impact on the whole game" and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said it was "surprised and disappointed" by "backroom deals being cooked up".

Speaking at a DCMS committee meeting, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: "I would have preferred that at the end of this, rather than reading about this 'Project Power Grab' as you I think rightly put it, instead I was reading how they'd come to a deal to secure the future of football.

"There is a problem in football which football is perfectly capable of resolving itself whereby the Premier League and the EFL just need to get together and do this deal.

"We know from the conversations we have had that the EFL clubs will not be allowed to go bust, there are the resources there, but we need a comprehensive deal and this is a distraction from that."

A joint statement from supporters' groups of the 'big six' teams expressed their concern at the plans.

"I expect there to be an open and transparent dialogue. I also expect there to be concrete proposals on funding for lower levels of football," Purslow said of Wednesday's meeting.

"While I applaud the notion that the Championship, League One and League Two want to engage with the Premier League, the way to do that is to talk to the chairman and the chief executive of that league, through the front door, not to discuss it with only two Premier League teams.

"I think it's amazing that the head of the EFL, which is already receiving nearly £400m a year, would have chosen to go live with a plan without discussing it directly with the Premier League."

The 'Project Big Picture' proposals

The Premier League cut from 20 to 18 clubs, with the Championship, League One and League Two each retaining 24 teams.

The bottom two teams in the Premier League relegated automatically with the 16th-placed team joining the Championship play-offs.

The League Cup and Community Shield abolished.

Parachute payments scrapped.

A £250m rescue fund made immediately available to the EFL and 25% of all future TV deals.

£100m paid to the FA to make up for lost revenue.

Nine clubs given 'special voting rights' on certain issues, based on their extended runs in the Premier League

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just read a tweet from Sky, I think, that says that the "Big 6", Sky 6, threatens to pull out and build a new super league if this doesn't get through. Well, I bloody well hope they do. But the problem is that Sky and FA will do everything they can to keep them in the PL and probably bend over as much as they can to please them. They think they're more important to the league than all the other clubs combined. I hope the rest of the clubs in the whole PL and EFL get together and stay together on this. They've taken it one too far.

• Like 3

Just now, Pelle said:

Just read a tweet from Sky, I think, that says that the "Big 6", Sky 6, threatens to pull out and build a new super league if this doesn't get through. Well, I bloody well hope they do. But the problem is that Sky and FA will do everything they can to keep them in the PL and probably bend over as much as they can to please them. They think they're more important to the league than all the other clubs combined. I hope the rest of the clubs in the whole PL and EFL get together and stay together on this. They've taken it one too far.

Please let them do it.

No one would miss them. League would become more competitive.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pelle said:

I think it would be great for english football.

A euro league would absolutely flop and they would come crawling back with their tails between their legs

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Please let them do it.

No one would miss them. League would become more competitive.

But the TV money would switch to the new ‘super league’ and the Premier League would in effect become the new championship. 

I don’t mind a reduction in teams in the Prem but would also like to see the football leagues reduce to 20 teams per league too. If that means having a 5th division (league 3) with the conference teams then so be it.

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

But the TV money would switch to the new ‘super league’ and the Premier League would in effect become the new championship. 

I don’t mind a reduction in teams in the Prem but would also like to see the football leagues reduce to 20 teams per league too. If that means having a 5th division (league 3) with the conference teams then so be it.

Depends on if they build a "super league" with the top clubs in Europe, which is the only possible way. But I doubt it'll work. Football like it is today can't be built on 18-20 clubs. If that happens it might not only be the final nail in the coffin of football, it might also be the needle in the bubble to finally make it burst. That would on the other hand be a good thing.

Are you also ok with 6 clubs deciding everything in the PL?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Are you also ok with 6 clubs deciding everything in the PL?

Not at all. It should be one team one vote in the prem regardless of how many plastic fans follow you or Saudi princes pay into the club. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, imavillan said:

All of these actions from Manure and Liverpoo has just made me despise them even more.

I hope they both win jack shit for years to come.

I think this is exactly why ManU in particular wanted this pushed through, they are in decline and will never get back to the fergie years,  they want it done asap while they are still considered in the so called big 6 and consolidate their seat on the gravy train.

Scumbags.

Edited by Phil Silvers

Honestly a euro super league wouldn't be that bad of an idea as long as it had promotion/relegation with the associated national leagues. Of course we all know the major european clubs will want a closed league to ensure/protect their revenue streams. 

6 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Honestly a euro super league wouldn't be that bad of an idea as long as it had promotion/relegation with the associated national leagues. 

they already have that with the Champions League though

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

they already have that with the Champions League though

Seems like it would be enough right but it isn't. I got lost on the TIFO Youtube channel one time. In one of them it went over the various bonds ManU has issued over the years. To keep it short United pretty much can only miss the champions league group stage 2 times in the next 7 years. When you make that kind of promise the best way to ensure champions league is just to make yourself a permanent member of the league. 

• Thanks 1

It were 22 teams in the 70's and 80's.

In the second half the 80's they went down to 20 teams (21 in one season) 

What were the reasoning behind this? I never really made any research into this.

Edited by villalad21

Â