18 team Premier League?

danceoftheshamen

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This will be seperate to Champions League.

Just a plot to keep the big clubs at the top. They will become so unbelievable rich from this format that there is literally no chance for the smaller clubs to compete with them.

They will probably find a way to earn power of decisions too and change FFP to make sure the lesser clubs don't have access to rich owners.

It will be an absolutely closed shop with no chance of them dropping out of it.

we talk about the death of football now, this really would be it. 

What makes the champions league special is that the big european teams play each other every so often. Even those games will lose the sparkle if it’s guaranteed to happen at least twice each season. 

expedting away fans to travel all over Europe every single week aswell, surely not.

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The mistake you are making is thinking it is anything to do with UK fans.

It's purely for their millions of fans around the world who NEVER go to see them live but buy all their merchandise and pay to watch on the telly.  You can guarantee this will be on a ppv basis with the bigger clubs hoovering up the majority of the cash.  

I've seen a quote about how Celtic will like this.  Will they really?   Being hammered week in week out, i don't think so.

Yeah but what if Man U get hammered for 3 years straight in this league? All of those plastic fans might dry up and move on if they’re bottom or thereabouts multiple years in a row. At that point you’d have alienated your local fanbase and your global one. Seems like a risky move to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I doubt Celtic would even get an invite.

I'm not sure if we're all talking about the same thing. 

The reports I was reading were about the expansion of the Champions League to 36 teams. The idea being muted was that many of the current qualifiers would automatically stay in and not have to qualify via their leagues again which apparently would suit Celtic. 

9 minutes ago, Nicho said:

It will be an absolutely closed shop with no chance of them dropping out of it.

we talk about the death of football now, this really would be it. 

What makes the champions league special is that the big european teams play each other every so often. Even those games will lose the sparkle if it’s guaranteed to happen at least twice each season. 

expedting away fans to travel all over Europe every single week aswell, surely not.

Yep i remember the El Clasico was nearly 6 or 7 times a season for a couple of seasons and the excitement quickly dampens. Barca vs Bayern Champions League knockout rounds is more exciting than if they had 2 regular league games then 2 more games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

More entertaining, yes. But we'd have zero chance of retaining our best players knowing there's this greener pasture that they can join. you could argue it's like the champions league, but that's a competition we currently have a chance of being in. jack stayed knowing that was the ambition of our owners. what if this league was around now? think jack would have stayed?

if this is a special members only club, then every player is going to be desperate to be part of it

I disagree, I think it would do really well for its first few years and then fail dramatically.

The shine will disappear and everything will stagnate. Who's going to populate it? 1 French club? 2 Spanish clubs? 2 German clubs? 1 Italian? You put the likes of Man Utd, Lazio, Atletico, Leipzig and the whole thing gets devalued immensely.

I don’t quite get how it will work - will they still play in the premier league as it is or would they just play in their little fairy land league that they have created? 

Are they expecting people to support a team in this league as well as their normal teams?

This whole thing makes me mad and the thing that does the most is the fact that they feel they can determine who gets to play in it and who doesn’t - based on who sky have picked to be part of the ‘big 6’. Football should be about earning the right to play in the leagues that you are in and building to remain competitive - whilst keeping all teams on an even keel where possible (this part clearly needs some work to fix it). 

I hate it. Crap idea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If and its a big if the big 6 leave the premier league  i am lretty sure rangers and celtic might receive an invite to join the premier league along with 4 extra championship clubs

Bloody hell that would be even worse. Having them 2 near Villa Park

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

It’s been instigated by FIFA. UEFA will be the ones who squash it. FIFA is corrupt, Blatter left his mark there.

Blatter is nothing on Infantino. He is the biggest poison to happen to football 

• Like 1

Project Big Picture was apparently started by the head of the FA Greg Clarke back in February. He set it up with Chelsea, Liverpool, United, the EFL and the Premier League. Premier League were the only ones to decline the talks

Â