Ratings & Reactions: Leicester v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/10/20 at 22:59

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Anyone notice after we scored Leicester lost all belief? It's as though they thought if we go gung ho they'll pick us off again. 

We are probably atm the last team that anyone wants to leave space for us to exploit. 

The difference between this game and last season’s encounters with Leicester is pretty staggering. I think it’s fair to say that last season they showed us zero respect and bossed us for just about 95% of the four games we played them. Fast forward to last night and look at the difference, they weren’t close to bossing it and put much more emphasis on not conceding, staying tight in midfield and at the back. And for the 2nd half Villa got better, gaining the upper hand for the last  20mins or so which ultimately led to the winning goal. What openings did Leicester even create for the entirety of the game? I can’t remember them creating a single decent chance. 
Villa now have to be respected on the break, respected defensively. That’s a bloody good pair of traits to have in a team. It really is chalk and cheese compared to last season pre-lockdown. Steering clear of longer term injuries is the key for us this season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Anyone notice after we scored Leicester lost all belief? It's as though they thought if we go gung ho they'll pick us off again. 

We are probably atm the last team that anyone wants to leave space for us to exploit. 

It’ll be interesting to watch the game against Leeds next Friday, Bielsa doesn’t really do “plan B” football, does he?! Leeds go out on the front foot, they press high and try to do that all game. I expect to see goals in this game for sure. 

56 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Was driving home from work last night just after 9pm. I was going across the Erskine Bridge which, bizarrely enough, actually overlooks Old Kilpatrick/Clydebank, where SJM was brought up. I was listening to game on radio and just as I was at highest point of bridge, SJM feeds Barkley and the rest was history. Nearly crashed the car. Just realised I am now a fully fledged Villa fan. 

Welcome to the obsession. The highs and lows; the restless nights before a big game. Dreaming of impossible victories. Watching old finals on YouTube (in living memory or before) to remember what it felt like to win a major trophy. Hating the Baggies, laughing at the Blues. Minding the gap for Wolves!

14 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I watched MOTD last week for the first time on about four years, I’ll be watching again tonight just to hear them sing Villa’s praises, begrudgingly or not, they can’t ignore how good we’ve been. And I love that. 

They did ignore us 😂

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Our work rate looks so honest and genuine too. Not just for effect. Villa-Leeds will be a fantastic game of football. If we beat them, we'll of played well.

Leeds are a good side as are Leicester and Liverpool.....We have to recognise we are playing against good teams.

our work ethic has gone up a gear and we are playing as a team now, as opposed to individuals.

We would have lost that game last season against Leicester and the impressive stats support that view.....Leicester really worked hard and aggresive to close us down and that would have derailed us last season, but our new found resillience derived from a much better balance seen us through, such a great defensive display from the whole team.....They are starting to remind me of the 80/81 side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I thought about kind of the same thing. After the liverpool game I think most teams will think twice before they go and attack us with full force. They know we can hit them badly on the counter. They fear us. Which of course helps our defence as they're not that much under pressure as they were last season.

Another test will be against teams that park the bus, like sheffield. I think we'll do better against those teams now with Barkley in the squad.

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

Leeds are a good side as are Leicester and Liverpool.....We have to recognise we are playing against good teams.

our work ethic has gone up a gear and we are playing as a team now, as opposed to individuals.

We would have lost that game last season against Leicester and the impressive stats support that view.....Leicester really worked hard and aggresive to close us down and that would have derailed us last season, but our new found resillience derived from a much better balance seen us through, such a great defensive display from the whole team.....They are starting to remind me of the 80/81 side.

This - although I think there is also a level of belief now that the work ethic will pay off as we aren't making 1 or 2 stupid mistakes every game and gifting the opposition goals.
We are so dangerous going forward, with so many players who bust a gut to get into the box, and have the talent to do something effective once there. Last season, it felt like we were fighting for our lives, and hoping to sneak one.

Hope - it makes all the difference. 

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Guardian’s ten talking points of the weekend focused on Fofana (who was excellent) not our fourth win in a row. 

😑

**** 'em.

When Leicester won the title, it was Christmas until the media actually realised they could win, and about June when they thought they probably would. 
Given our next 10 games, we could be very near the top come Christmas - let the likes of Gabby, Jonny Gould and Matt Law shout our praises so there are some voices, and everyone else in the media look confused.

• Like 1

There probably weren't many of us who saw the fourth goal go in in March and thought "ah it's fine, we'll win this one next season"

That ~intense fox banner they have up is a bit much isn't it, they've clearly got Wolves envy

20 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

This - although I think there is also a level of belief now that the work ethic will pay off as we aren't making 1 or 2 stupid mistakes every game and gifting the opposition goals.
We are so dangerous going forward, with so many players who bust a gut to get into the box, and have the talent to do something effective once there. Last season, it felt like we were fighting for our lives, and hoping to sneak one.

Hope - it makes all the difference. 

I also think our work without the ball has improved too.....When the opposition have it, we look more composed than we was a while back......that Leicester game showed that.

• Like 2

Â