FIFA 21

NurembergVillan

On 11/10/2020 at 13:21, Follyfoot said:

Boy do I feel old reading this. I remember when pro evolution soccer was the daddy. How much better are these later incarnations of FIFA, not graphically but gameplay wise than Pro Evo 2for instance

And of course, before that, International Superstar Soccer. The game of choice from when I ver first started playing games. Memories.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2020 at 22:05, Condimentalist said:

Villa are inexplicably in the Europa League in season one career mode. 

This is because some of the teams that are in Europe irl are not in the game, so the spots that they are not in are filled by other teams at random. There was a bug last year that where you could get drawn against a team that didn't exist in the game and the whole competition would fail. This prevents the same thing happening again.

• Like 1

Finally getting the hang of defending, thanks for the tips. 

Actually enjoying it more than I thought I would now. 

Only issue is one I thought they said they'd fixed in fifa 20. Playing career mode and the AI make some crazy decisions when it comes to team selection. 

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Finally getting the hang of defending, thanks for the tips. 

Actually enjoying it more than I thought I would now. 

Only issue is one I thought they said they'd fixed in fifa 20. Playing career mode and the AI make some crazy decisions when it comes to team selection. 

Absolutely, had Everton starting Yannick Bolasie up front instead of DCL and then at Villa Park in the next game Palace played a front four against me of Zaha, Batshuayi, Ayew and Benteke on the left

6-0

Quite enjoying this game now. Up to division 3 in seasons which strangely feels like an achievement. Tis a bit annoying playing as Villa and constantly playing against Man UTD. Not sure if that's a sign of how far we've come or of how far they have fallen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annoyman said:

Absolutely, had Everton starting Yannick Bolasie up front instead of DCL and then at Villa Park in the next game Palace played a front four against me of Zaha, Batshuayi, Ayew and Benteke on the left

6-0

I just played palace. They played benteke as a CDM. 

They're bottom of the league. I've just assumed Roy has dementia in my game. 

• Haha 1

Having had some decent time with this now, I'm gonna give props where props are due; the new CM stuff with the positional changing and skill/weak foot re-training has added a completely new and very welcome dimension to things whilst simultaneously solving the long-standing youth/regen problems.  With planning and taking the time to tinker, you can assemble a suitable youth team in about two seasons rather than the long, drawn-out crapshoot of previous iterations.  You can re-jig your existing squad if you're too heavily stocked in one area.  You have way more viable transfer options when trying to fill or upgrade a position (i.e. buying an RM to fill a LW or RW slot, a CDM to convert to LB/CB/RB, so on and so forth), which helps offset the fact that we've essentially lost over 3 x leagues worth of player pools this year.

The transfer system seems to be finally nailed down with regards to free agents now too; almost every club gets through their renewals in December so you no longer have a raft of world class talent you can assemble for free on pre-contracts (no more Sheff Utd picking up Mbappé nonsense, for example).  They seem to have moved things back to where they were some years ago (going back at least one whole console generation) with Free Agents where there is now more players available at the end of the season where clubs have deemed them surplus and couldn't shift them but there's only a few decent pick-ups to be found rather than a buffet.  Those passable Free Agents that I've seen and signed could feasibly sit in the "couldn't cut it/released by bigger club" bracket, so again a positive more towards more realism here.

Going back to transfers, though the feature isn't as new and innovative as EA may have sold it, the expansion of player-swap deal options is most welcome and its execution - that I've seen thus far - is also spot-on (my first thought with anything EA do to CM every year is whether it not it's broken something else somewhere, blissfully not the case here).  1 season into a VVV-Venlo career, I had Watford come in for my 76-rated RB with an offer of cash-plus a 72-rated teenage Brazilian striker, I haggle them up a bit for the cash and decide to take the risk as I've got 3 LBs and could swap one over to backfill; I don't actually need a striker but figure I could shift him to LW where I did need some depth.  Deal is done, check my squad hub and he's got the An Exciting Prospect strapline (so potential OVR of 85+) and it'll only take 2 weeks to shift him to LW.  Thanks Watford!  A week later, Monaco come in with another swap deal for my highly-rated RW prospect with cash plus Ben Henrichs who'd be perfect to replace, nay upgrade the RB I just sold; so all told, I've now got a younger, better RB, a potential world-class LW and £10m in cash which is more than enough to replace the RW I sold. An immensely satisfying fortnight's wheeling and dealing!

Onto the not-so-good, licensing; I say it every year, but honestly I would happily pay for some DLC to have more licenses/proper kits including all goalkeeper ones in the game.  Generic templates are immersion breaking for me.  I realise EA are beholden to license holders, but losing 3 leagues without any coming in to replace or offset them sucks.  Losing another big club license in Roma is also not great, though losing Serie B in and of itself isn't all that bad as it's a league they've never managed to pin the license down for anyway and thankfully, EA have seen fit to include enough fully licensed Italian teams under "Rest of the World" that you can swap them all in for the unlicensed Serie A teams and run your CM like this (my head canon for booting Juve and Roma out is that they've been caught in another Calciopoli scandal :D).

Anything else I could complain about wouldn't really be new, just perennial wishlist stuff like getting a longer-than-15-season campaign, getting the old online editor up and running again or some other functionality to allow better editing/importing data (guess I could just buy the PC version if I cared enough about that, to be fair).  New training system could maybe use a bit streamlining, if I'm being really picky.  Gameplay as ever needed a bit of tweaking with the sliders but I really like the "weight" of it this year, definitely feels like an improvement.  Free kicks/penalties have been made crap again though.  They absolutely nailed them last year, I don't know why they've changed them at all.

So anyway, yeah, pleasantly surprised if I'm honest.  Someone, somewhere has actually done a bit of work between last year and this, long may that continue as a trend please (it won't, it never does, but let's enjoy it while it lasts!).

16 hours ago, heffoman said:

What slider settings do you use out of interest?

I'll try and grab a screenshot at some point.  In a nutshell I set the game speed to fastest, the base difficulty quite high but take injuries and first touch errors down, then passing, shooting speed and GK ability up with a little bit more into either speed or acceleration.  Those changes I make straight outta the gate, then depending on how the game feels I might add some minor handicaps to the AI's sliders (first touch error up, maybe shave a bit of pace off).  Started doing it 4 or so iterations back as a way to combat cheap/scripted AI goals or my AI controlled players doing stupid things like running away from a loose ball.

• Thanks 1

Done the trial

Same as always for me, feels a bit off in a way that I can't explain, doesn't feel smooth or natural, far too many times that the AI isn't intuitive enough leaving your uncontrolled player holding his dick rather than playing football

Add to that the difficulty settings that plague the game for me still exist, pro is too easy but world class is frustrating because it just seemingly results in your players getting shitter and the opponents getting all the luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Next gen FIFA is shit. Matchmaking is so broken. Try and play with Villa in Seasons or co-op seasons and constantly getting matched against 5 star teams. Even with the filter turned on to only be matched against teams who are the same star rated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2020 at 23:33, villa4europe said:

Add to that the difficulty settings that plague the game for me still exist, pro is too easy but world class is frustrating because it just seemingly results in your players getting shitter and the opponents getting all the luck

This doesn't seem to be a problem on the PS5, it's a better game imo not just slightly shinier there are a couple of gameplay tweaks in there too which just make it better

• 1 month later...

What on earth have they done to the defending on this game? I've made it straight to div 1 online, almost won the title but every game is a matter of who can score the most. I can't remember the last time either player had a clean sheet. Every time the opponent passes the ball through my defence all the defenders just stand still. I'm constantly having to run back and try to stop the attacker through on goal. 

One of the worst football games I've ever played. 

• Like 2

I'm playing normal career mode but that's 100% the case, as you go up through the difficulty levels it seems like the way they made it harder is by making your players shitter to the point where full backs stand 20 yards off the winger meaning the long diagonal is always on and your CBs play musical statues rather than following runs, the defensive positioning is utter wank 

For some reason the PS5 update does make it slightly better, I'm used to it now so can't pinpoint exactly why, I think there's a different tackling motion which is easier, also play with the sliders but that only helps rather than fixing it, between the sliders and the tactics it took me hours to make the game playable so I can imagine online that goes out of the window

I do still have the massive problem though that awkwardly bouncing balls are expertly turned in to 30 yard bicycle kick passes by the opposition... There are a couple of things in how the opponents play that suggest that EA don't actually play football, the number of chipped 10 yard passes is another one, the opposition chip it everywhere, its so unrealistic, CBs overhead volley passing... Behave 

Edit: I'm still struggling to get my striker to match the run of my winger too, can have a winger busting a gut in acres of space perfect crossing opportunity... And if my striker had pockets in his shorts his hands would be in them, just stood in the middle of the pitch... 

Playing it now and wondering why 

Edited by villa4europe

Â