FIFA 21

NurembergVillan

Another Friday night wondering why I do it... 

I'm 10th in the table, 23 pts from 17 games, scored 44 league high, conceded 39 league high 

The AI players will not defend, point blank refuse to do it, its a broken mess that's infuriating 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Another Friday night wondering why I do it...

I think the same every time I play it. Opposition score over and over from 40 yards out. 7 shots, 5 goals.

I have 10 shots and lucky to score more than 1. Their keeper is about 8 feet wide. My keeper can dive at the opposing strikers feet yet seems to still allow the ball to pass through him.

Ball flicks off a player and goes to within 2 yards of my player, he just stands still and watches as their player runs 20 yards to collect it.

Its infuriating but I hate being crap at it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Picked this up in the sale, finally. Gonna start me up a Villa season.

Any recommendations for transfers? Will probably try and play out the first season without buying anyone (unless board target expects one).

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Any recommendations for transfers? Will probably try and play out the first season without buying anyone (unless board target expects one).

Main advice for transfers is its not like FM where the scouted value needs to be x10, usually you can stick around 25% on top and you'll get them

Nuno Mendes at LB definitely, almada, boadu, you can get Greenwood for around £18m, Bellingham for cheap in the 2nd summer, saliba is a brilliant CB 

On 26/05/2021 at 13:45, Dante_Lockhart said:

Just the usual markers to watch out for; any player with "Showing Great Potential" = 80-84 potential, "An Exciting Prospect" = 85-89 and "Potential to be Special" = 90+.  However huge caveats need to be applied with the dynamic potential system, it's even more punishing this time around.  Got a prospect that isn't good enough the make the starting line-up and won't get games?  Expect anywhere from a 10+ potential point drop-off.  Every youngster you buy for the future, every prospect you bring through the youth-team, you need to make sure you loan them all out as much as possible and ideally to teams that'll give them game time.  Unfortunately, they still haven't fixed the issue of players just refusing to go out on loan even after all the terms have been agreed.  It'd be such simple fix as well, either remove the player negotiation stage (completely unrealistic at any rate, no club in the real world would agree loan terms with another club if the player wasn't a) already aware and b) willing to go) or change the system so you can actively choose a club to approach and offer the loanee to, rather than waiting for random offers (often from teams who won't even play your player anyway).  We're so close to getting the best possible version of career mode, this really is the last maddening thing that needs fixing.  At least on the flip-side, that dynamic potential swing runs both ways; you can pick up an average player, you give them enough games and almost anyone can become a world-beater.  Ran a long career mode to get Bolton back into the Prem, by the time I had about 4-5 seasons in I still had all the younger squad players I started with in League 2 as they'd just continue to grow each season; ended up with Dennis Politic (converted from RM to ST in season one) as an 84-rated striker by the time I got to the Prem (his base/starting stats are 61 OVR, 74 potential).

The other thing to watch out for is the ol' January free-for-all on world class players with contracts running down has been tweaked (which at least does make things a bit more realistic) with teams actively renewing more contracts sooner, so scouting for potential freebies in Jan is no longer worth it.  However, from the start of your 2nd season onwards you can still find some decent players that ultimately wind up as free agents, so just do your bargain shopping on the 1st July.  It varies depending on what league your starting in, but is always worth a look; I routinely pick up players like Sergio Romero, Bakayoko or Lars Bender on freebies, older players on the fringes of the top teams or the occasional decent prospect who's surplus to requirement like Dylan Levitt or Karamoko Dembele.

The ability to change player positions also opens up so many more transfer options; most CDMs tend to make cracking CBs (and you'll likely get an OVR bump once they've trained in the new position), CAMs and CFs likewise can be pushed out to either LW/RW and vice-versa. Worth noting that such changes are better on players 25 or under, older players who've already hit their potential cap will quote about 100+ weeks for re-training making it untenable.

Gotten to a point with it where I try and make "realistic" signings for whatever club I'm at, even if I've got the cash to go bigger.  With Villa campaigns I like to run a head-canon rule where I only buy from the relegated clubs, the Championship or lower, and never from teams that finish above me in the league unless said player is out on the fringes, aged 33+ (played <5 games in a campaign) or already listed.  Keeps things interesting.  I also like to throw release clauses on my 6 best players (renegotiated every 6 months as their OVR grows, naturally) so I get thrown the occasional curve-ball to keep things interesting.

Nice one.

ive just bought Rashica (lol) and Almada to start as my LW/RW. ELG and Traore are fine for the bench. Had a nice youth player come through who’s 70 already and a CDM. Good physical stats and I do like a holding player so I’ll probably rotate him in with Dougie.

My problem with the loans is they only ever offer a loan with an option to buy

Disagree about it being near the best possible career mode possible though! It's tired now, they haven't made any major changes for 4 or 5 years, madden is the same, it's been neglected in favour of modes that suck your wallet dry

Not sure what the answer is, I like the look and feel of it all (gained a massive appreciation for the PLs branding) moaned many times before that it has massive difficulty issues where world class ups the difficulty by making your AI **** wank especially during defending, my current season Ollie Watkins hit 45 goals by Xmas but I have to play 5 at the back and deep or ill also concede 3 goals a game 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree about it being near the best possible career mode possible though! It's tired now, they haven't made any major changes for 4 or 5 years, madden is the same, it's been neglected in favour of modes that suck your wallet dry

There's a workaround for that, use the delegate option; if you enter negotiations and say you're not willing to sell, the other team will always reject, but if you delegate and remove the option to buy they'll always accept.

Meant more that they've nearly got everything they've ever implemented working properly.  Nearly.  Which is still normalising failure, admittedly. Of course with actual time and investment, you could add so much functionality into CM, but for the reasons you say it'll never, ever happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure what the answer is, I like the look and feel of it all (gained a massive appreciation for the PLs branding) moaned many times before that it has massive difficulty issues where world class ups the difficulty by making your AI **** wank especially during defending, my current season Ollie Watkins hit 45 goals by Xmas but I have to play 5 at the back and deep or ill also concede 3 goals a game 

Completely agree. I'm not that good, especially at dribbling/taking on players - so I played on semipro. Regularly winning 4-0/5-0. Put it up one notch on difficulty and I can't score for toffee so I'm losing 1/2-0.

Also Madden franchise mode is soooooo dated now. Like you say it hasn't changed at all. Reskin it and send it out. We were promised last time that it was being overhauled too. TBH at this point even just putting in an option to renegotiate contracts to create cap room would be amazing.

I play with 5 at the back set to deep and then still have to increase the pace slider to 60 and GK save slider to around 75 to compensate for the at least 2 times per game that one the CBs I'm not controlling will decide to wander off to go mark their RB or something else stupid, it's infuriating 

Scoring I have "no problem" with, I set it to everyone run in to the box and then play wide, cross early from deep, before the line of the box and the attacker always out runs the defender, I say no problem because the attacker only out runs the defender if he actually runs.. Its not a given, straight from kick off for example if you play it wide beat the 2 men and get in to a crossing position the striker won't be in the box, no chance 

Played CL for the first time as villa in the last month, games were finishing 6-5 and 5-4

Both sides of the defence AI is garbage 

EA recently had a document leaked that demonstrated how they are trying to drive people from Career and other not cash how modes into the money pit of UT.  I can't imagine that they want to make Career mode much better than it is as the cold hard facts are that they only want it there as a gateway drug for other game modes.  I genuinely don't get the appeal of UT, so there is very little they can do to drive me into it, but it isn't designed for the likes of me anyway.

4 minutes ago, Straggler said:

EA recently had a document leaked that demonstrated how they are trying to drive people from Career and other not cash how modes into the money pit of UT.  I can't imagine that they want to make Career mode much better than it is as the cold hard facts are that they only want it there as a gateway drug for other game modes.  I genuinely don't get the appeal of UT, so there is very little they can do to drive me into it, but it isn't designed for the likes of me anyway.

They should make UT a F2P game already and actually put some thought and development time into the base FIFA game. It's been neglected for so long.

FIFA22 will be the first FIFA that I won't buy since about FIFA05. The complete lack of effort for anything that isn't UT is embarrassing to charge £50 for. 

• Like 2

I'll do the same as the last 2 or 3 years, do the 10 hour trial and get dragged in to buying it, especially when someone knocks money off it around November for the Xmas shopping moms

PES offers no realistic alternative and madden is even worse so it's the only light relief sports / racing / fighting game that I play 

I do like the idea of UT, but it's just difficult to play as a single player. I don't play 1v1 online as I just find it unenjoyable.

Madden Ultimate Team is so much better (challenges are great for getting cards and packs, and money too). The SBCs end up costing money to complete.

You can constantly upgrade your team in Madden without the need to spend money, but with FIFA it seems to be a necessity.

What sucks the most is there isn't ever going to be a viable alternative without someone buying out the licences from EA which is just never, ever going to happen.  This is our lot for football games, pretty much forever.  The only way around that would be for a developer to build the framework of a decent game with whatever licenses they could afford and filling in with blanks with fictional teams, but make every aspect of it user-editable to the nth degree and have some sort of a community download system.  That in itself would be such an undertaking though, no developer would ever see it as worth the cost.  And even if that did happen, and was a success, you could bet pound to a penny that EA / whoever else held the licences officially would start coming after user-generated content with whatever legal mechanisms they could lever (hell we've already seen that ball start rolling with Man Utd shitting their pants over Football Manager a while back).

• Like 1

Juve have gone from all games, fifa don't have the license for roma either or some of the South American clubs, you're right about utd they'll be next, give it 10 years and loads of them will be gone and Fifa will have lost what it was always about 

Don't see any alternative but opening it up to the community like the PES option files 

Â