FIFA 21

NurembergVillan

• 4 weeks later...

Think I'm just going to get PES 2018 for PS3 and just call it a day on football games to be honest. I run FIFA 20 with my brother sometimes for some silly competitive fun, but in terms of pure football sim, nothing touches PES 2018. Wish people were still making patches for it.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Think I'm just going to get PES 2018 for PS3 and just call it a day on football games to be honest. I run FIFA 20 with my brother sometimes for some silly competitive fun, but in terms of pure football sim, nothing touches PES 2018. Wish people were still making patches for it.

I played PES 2020 last year and enjoyed it. My first PES experience in years, I'd switched to Fifa at around fifa 12 or 13. 

I only tried Fifa again this year because PES didn't release a new version. I'm 100% going back to PES next year. Fifa just isn't fun anymore. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I played PES 2020 last year and enjoyed it. My first PES experience in years, I'd switched to Fifa at around fifa 12 or 13. 

I only tried Fifa again this year because PES didn't release a new version. I'm 100% going back to PES next year. Fifa just isn't fun anymore. 

FIFA doesn't have anything that touches Master League. There's stuff you could do in the PS2 era games that you can't even do in FIFA 20.

it never bothered me when i was a kid but now the option file stuff kills it for me and despite the game being on game pass there is no option file on game pass

Konami are maybe even lazier than EA which takes some doing, years ago we were called west midlands village and the kits werent right but the home kit was claret and blue and the away kit was black (and i actually sunk hours in to edit mode changing villa's kit after every season i completed, almost like fantasy kits) now they're just random colour combos all to the same template

a good 50% of the transfers arent complete

its like they know and accept that you will patch it yourself and therefore they dont care what they put out

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it never bothered me when i was a kid but now the option file stuff kills it for me and despite the game being on game pass there is no option file on game pass

Konami are maybe even lazier than EA which takes some doing, years ago we were called west midlands village and the kits werent right but the home kit was claret and blue and the away kit was black (and i actually sunk hours in to edit mode changing villa's kit after every season i completed, almost like fantasy kits) now they're just random colour combos all to the same template

a good 50% of the transfers arent complete

its like they know and accept that you will patch it yourself and therefore they dont care what they put out

Even with all that, the players feel more authentic than in FIFA who are all carbon copies that vary slightly in attributes and that's enough to make me want to grit my teeth and do the patching every time. Even the classic players (which FIFA doesn't have unless you play their gambling microtransaction mode) feel incredibly like how you remember them. 

I actually recreated our promotion kit to good effect in PES 6 :lol: , that was kind of fun. There was a certain charm to those games. 

• Like 1

The commentary in this game is absolutely tragic.

They've attempted to make it more natural, but in the process have made it maddeningly cringeworthy. 

He saw the whites of the keepers eyes, and the whites of his outstretched gloves...!

And then there's every time Douglas Rae says 'Doo-glar H-luissssss', 'Zh-air-ee-mi Dock-ooo' 'Wayne Rooww-knee'.

And then there's every time Lee Dixon opens his mouth. Especially when he thinks it's a zinger - 'you'd say he's got the technique wrong, but he didn't have any'.

**** off.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

They've attempted to make it more natural, but in the process have made it maddeningly cringeworthy. 

He saw the whites of the keepers eyes, and the whites of his outstretched gloves...!

And then there's every time Douglas Rae says 'Doo-glar H-luissssss', 'Zh-air-ee-mi Dock-ooo' 'Wayne Rooww-knee'.

And then there's every time Lee Dixon opens his mouth. Especially when he thinks it's a zinger - 'you'd say he's got the technique wrong, but he didn't have any'.

**** off.

My striker scored two goals and Lee Dixon called it a double bubble. **** right off. 

• Like 2

Dixon is the worst thing about the game, by an absolute **** mile.  At least Tyler and Smith were mundane enough to wash over you.  That line where he bangs out about five consecutive cliches ("defence on toast, sixes and sevens...") sets my teeth on edge.  The most egregious is probably the "it's like playing FIFA" one...  I can just picture the shit-eating grin on the marketing temp that came up that one.  All the English commentary now feels like it was written by something granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity, the audio equivalent of the uncanny valley.

I can heartily recommend switching to other language commentary teams.  I'm a particular fan of the Dutch one.  Much more tolerable when you can't understand the nonsense being flung at you, and the delivery (especially the Spanish one) is a hoot.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

**** off.

It would be way way harder to do, but I'm hoping that we get to the stage with sports games that they can take snippets of commentary from real games and integrate them into the games. I haven't had commentary turned on for more than a few games on a sports game for years. They're always awful. Much like Gareth said shit keeper its ruined the immersion for him, the commentary does it for me. Nothing sounds natural at all. And it's not just FIFA

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Dixon is the worst thing about the game, by an absolute **** mile.  At least Tyler and Smith were mundane enough to wash over you.  That line where he bangs out about five consecutive cliches ("defence on toast, sixes and sevens...") sets my teeth on edge.  The most egregious is probably the "it's like playing FIFA" one...  I can just picture the shit-eating grin on the marketing temp that came up that one.  All the English commentary now feels like it was written by something granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity, the audio equivalent of the uncanny valley.

I can heartily recommend switching to other language commentary teams.  I'm a particular fan of the Dutch one.  Much more tolerable when you can't understand the nonsense being flung at you, and the delivery (especially the Spanish one) is a hoot.

Yeah i've done this on previous games. used the Spanish commentary instead. You don't pick up the cheesiness and how unnatural it is when it's in another language. Much like when you watch a foreign film it's much harder to pick up bad acting because you're not used to the tone of the language

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It would be way way harder to do, but I'm hoping that we get to the stage with sports games that they can take snippets of commentary from real games and integrate them into the games. I haven't had commentary turned on for more than a few games on a sports game for years. They're always awful. Much like Gareth said shit keeper its ruined the immersion for him, the commentary does it for me. Nothing sounds natural at all. And it's not just FIFA

Commentary on NBA 2k is usually really good. Football games need to follow their lead. 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 18:05, Chindie said:

**** off.

I've found it's way better to switch the commentary to Spanish or Portuguese Brazilian. Makes it more background noise until you score, then they go absolutely apeshit. Quality!

• Like 1

Â