Emiliano Martínez

hippo

The way that game was going - two wonder strikes that you see one in about 50 games, let alone two in one game, you knew nothing good was going to come of it. Maybe was trying to make up for the 'own goal'? 

Also there was basically only one direction that corner could be cleared to create that counter attack and of course Arsenal found it

26 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

People will be surprised just how hard to replace he will be if he goes.  I think we wouldn't have won a couple of those 5 games we've won under Emery without him in goal, plus he was skipper for most of them.  We have a pretty awful track record when it comes to keepers.  I'd do anything it takes to try and keep him.

Surely Villa’s awful record with keepers is related to spending very little (and badly too). It’s not like they are a complete mystery, scout, pay and you’re likely to get a decent one. I’d like us to get two while we’re at it, and send Olsen to Trabzonspor.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Surely Villa’s awful record with keepers is related to spending very little (and badly too). It’s not like they are a complete mystery, scout, pay and you’re likely to get a decent one. I’d like us to get two while we’re at it, and send Olsen to Trabzonspor.

Whoever Olsen replacement is will be a similar level

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Starting to think he has an invite to Neymar's sisters birthday party and is trying to rack up enough yellow cards so he'll be suspended from playing when it's kicking off.

Same with his Argentina buddy Romero after the world cup, can’t wait for games to start before he tries to cripple someone.

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

"For his career. He knows."

I laughed when I heard it, but that last line is a step too far in my opinion. Emery could have left it as'he knows now', but decided to go all in. It's the kind of comment which rubs people up the wrong way and can sour a relationship. The last thing we want is our most salable asset devalued as he has fallen out with emery and other teams know we have to sell Martinez because of it. 

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I laughed when I heard it, but that last line is a step too far in my opinion. Emery could have left it as'he knows now', but decided to go all in. It's the kind of comment which rubs people up the wrong way and can sour a relationship. The last thing we want is our most salable asset devalued as he has fallen out with emery and other teams know we have to sell Martinez because of it. 

Doesn’t bother me. He’s the boss. This lot could do without the soft touch they’ve been receiving for years. If you can’t listen to your manager then leave the club. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The media are spinning this as a feud between Unai and Emi. The wheels are in motion to try get him out of the club to a scum 6 team

Plenty of fans are gobbling it up as well.

We won't get a fair market price for him if he does leave. No one with the money will bother.

Man Utd perhaps. But I'd be appalled if we didn't take them to the cleaners. Daftest club in the transfer market going.

24 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Have to disagree with Emery there. He says losing 2-3 is acceptable but losing 2-4 is embarrassing. At home against Arsenal when we've been leading and we'd rather try to steal an equalizer at the death by taking a risk, what's the **** difference? We're highly unlikely to be relegated or to get into Europe so the additional -1 GD is meaningless. If he's embarrassed by it then that's just ego. I personally couldn't give a ****, I'd rather see the players take a risk out of passion than be content to lose by a goal.

Martinez should have been near the half way line there’s every chance you get a second opportunity to knock the ball in after a clearances.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Have to disagree with Emery there. He says losing 2-3 is acceptable but losing 2-4 is embarrassing. At home against Arsenal when we've been leading and we'd rather try to steal an equalizer at the death by taking a risk, what's the **** difference? We're highly unlikely to be relegated or to get into Europe so the additional -1 GD is meaningless. If he's embarrassed by it then that's just ego. I personally couldn't give a ****, I'd rather see the players take a risk out of passion than be content to lose by a goal.

I wasn't bothered about Emi going up for the corner as had nothing to lose. I feel he was annoyed at the OG and was trying to make up for it. If that hadn't of bounced of his head he doesn't go up there and possibly we get the draw. Unfortunate chain of events but ultimatey brought it on ourselves. I think Emi was more annoyed by the principal of not following his instructions and of course that also applies to everyone else. However Emi need to lead by example in future and get the ball moving much much quicker. We want to play from the back so lead from the back!

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

There was another interview where he was asked about the timewasting and he said those weren't his instructions to the players either, considering Martinez is the one leading most of that stuff so I think he's just annoyed with Martinez' antics all round and presumably the corner/4th goal was the icing on the cake.

Martinez is a top keeper but needs to calm himself down on the pitch, it's not all about him. I worry that Neil Cutler was able to manage Emi's emotional side and that's been lost since the backroom staff changes were made.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Come on, we're Villa fans. We know Emi's aura / reputation is much bigger than what he produces consistently on the pitch for us. IF a club came in with a big offer we would sell and reinvest the money. We need an experienced ball playing GK. Emi is a shot stopped and brilliant at it. 

This is what I think too. Cash in now that he is clearly overvalued and (presumably) Unai wants a GK good with his feet and decision making, who can play higher up and make long balls behind our high line more challenging.

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

Yeah agree here completely. Rather throw everything at potential point than worth about goal difference being one worse.

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Plenty of fans are gobbling it up as well.

We won't get a fair market price for him if he does leave. No one with the money will bother.

Man Utd perhaps. But I'd be appalled if we didn't take them to the cleaners. Daftest club in the transfer market going.

I think bayern is a potential destination now they have fallen out with Neuer. But they might prefer a younger replacement. 

the problem with Emi leaving in the summer, isnt so much that im bothered if he does or doesnt go, but....

Who in the current climate can pay 50m+ for a goalkeeper???

tbh its pretty much down to PSG and clubs from the premier league, most of all the other foreign clubs/leagues have very little money it seems.

i honestly cant imagine who would/could sign him, the "bigger" teams all have decent GKs, @Made In Aston mentioned Bayern, but do we really think Bayern would pay 50m for a keeper this summer!?, i highly doubt it.

Â