Emiliano Martínez

hippo

23 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Simon Jordan, love him or hate him, speaks sense 99% of the time, so thank you.

So his comments regarding Emi was the other 1% when he gets it wrong and talks shit. Excellent. 

If it was cheating, or outside of the laws of the game, he'd have been reprimanded. As it is, shithousery, unsportsmanlike conduct or whatever people want to call it, is acceptable. 

Diving is cheating unless your a keeper yet everyone accepts it's part of the game. Nothing Emi did broke the rules of the game. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Lloris wouldn't do it though, would he?

Who cares. Aston Villa have the world cup winning keeper whose value is ridiculously high now. Enjoy it FFS misery guts.

Also, for far too long now we've had a bunch of wet behind the ears Lilly soft as shite players at this club. I'll take his shithousery all day long if it means winning. If the rest of the squad had his attitude and mental strength then Christ we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To my mind “cheating” is mainly routed in deception. So as discussed diving would be the main example of that. 

Below that for me is a Suarez handball on the line. I think that could be considered cheating, but because it’s so blatant it’s not as deplorable. There’s an honesty about the cheating, if you like. Likewise bringing down a player through on goal, ensuring he goes no further, getting the ball is irrelevant.

Several rungs below that is what Martinez was doing which is unsportsmanlike rather than cheating. For me it’s closer to Jed Steer staring down that Albion player (but a more egregious version of it).

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of throwing the ball away, but calling it cheating is a bit much. I think his in game time-wasting antics are more deserving of the title.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

To my mind “cheating” is mainly routed in deception. So as discussed diving would be the main example of that. 

Below that for me is a Suarez handball on the line. I think that could be considered cheating, but because it’s so blatant it’s not as deplorable. There’s an honesty about the cheating, if you like. Likewise bringing down a player through on goal, ensuring he goes no further, getting the ball is irrelevant.

Several rungs below that is what Martinez was doing which is unsportsmanlike rather than cheating. For me it’s closer to Jed Steer staring down that Albion player (but a more egregious version of it).

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of throwing the ball away, but calling it cheating is a bit much. I think his in game time-wasting antics are more deserving of the title.

Literally every team does this at some point, digging up the penalty spot for example, Van Dijk did it the other month, I don't recall the usual pundits making a big deal out it.

Martinez is trying to get into the head of the player, to gain an advantage, and it worked. 

• Like 4

Diving for a penalty is cheating because the aggrieved party has no influence over the outcome.

With mind games in a penalty shootout the aggrieved party has plenty of influence over the outcome - they can choose not to be psyched out and ram the ball into the net.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I hope the club try and get Argentina and Messi et Al for a friendly at Villa Park. Messi scoring his 100th international goal at the Holte end …… phwoaaarrrr

Emi, in goal for us, saving a Messi penalty at the Holte End works better for me. 

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

The fact that it's prevalent doesn't make it right !

No, but it does make it incredibly hard to stop. As soon as you introduce competition into sport and games you are going to get people looking for an edge and some of that will obviously be a mental edge. You could probably put a stop to mind games in penalty shoot outs but the rest of the game? The ref would have to be every where all the time. Personally, I find it interesting to see how people cope with mind games/ pressure and feel that taking it away would sanitise the game. I enjoyed watching Emi last night.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No. He didn't even have any antics tbf.

Are you serious? He’s one of the biggest wind ups around. There’s a reason so many players want to kick lumps out of him and it’s not just because he’s a very good player!

Edit: anyway it’s the Emi thread so we’ll leave it there. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, andym said:

Last week Simon Jordan was slating Southgate for being a 'good loser', and saying "i want an ugly, unpleasant winner"

He'll completely change his opinion as many times as needed to get people to ring in to his shitty radio show

It's called TalkShite for a reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are you serious? He’s one of the biggest wind ups around. There’s a reason so many players want to kick lumps out of him and it’s not just because he’s a very good player!

Edit: anyway it’s the Emi thread so we’ll leave it there. 

How does he wind people up exactly though? It's his playing style that attracts all the fouls.

5 minutes ago, andym said:

Last week Simon Jordan was slating Southgate for being a 'good loser', and saying "i want an ugly, unpleasant winner"

He'll completely change his opinion as many times as needed to get people to ring in to his shitty radio show

All I saw him say was that Southgate's not a winner, which he's not.

• Like 1

Perhaps if England were a bit more “unsportsmanlike”, they would win a few more penalties. 

Anyone who’s played knows that penalties are psychology and nerve. There are many ways to go about it but Emi has found his way of doing it and it is hard to argue against results. 

Â