The AVFC FFP thread

Just a quick thought on selling our homegrown players over the last couple of years.  Will the fact that a few of them havent shone since getting big money transfers to the premier league mean that clubs won't take the risk on our youth going forward. Carney has been stop start, Archer now struggling with starts and Aaron was not in any way looking prem quality before his acl  albeit in a team that isnt fit for this league. Jaden has shone but thats in the Championship just like Aaron and Csm last season. 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One thing I keep seeing in this thread is some variant of 'qualifying for the Champions League will help', which obviously yes it will, but it's very very likely that we will fail to qualify next season so it's not a reliable revenue stream. We shouldn't be going out buying players on the assumption that repeated qualification for the CL will pay for them, if that's what pays for them then we can't afford them. 

Top 4 sustainability is very hard let alone for a club like ours that missed the boat.  You’re correct in saying it’s unlikely at the moment that we will become a regular top 4 club, and we still haven’t achieved it this season. Financial suicide to go on a mad spending spree. I think our owners are cleverer than to think that anyway. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I said, this June stuff is a red herring. We do not need to sell players to get under PSR - the Premier League rules.

How are you so certain about it?

Looking at the numbers I'm pretty sure we will need to generate some profit in June.

In 2022 season we generated £24m ffp surplus.

In 2023 season we made a loss of £118m. minus £25m ffp allowable expenses that gives £93m ffp loss for last season.

93-24 = 69m ffp loss, which leaves us with  36m allowable loss to play with this season.

To get to 36 from 93 we need to reduce our losses this season by £57m in comparison to last season.

Have we done it so far? I know our revenue have went up but so our expenses (diaby and Co ain't cheap). I really feel we are short and we will see someone sold in June. I hope I'm wrong and we can somehow scrape through, but the numbers are not encouraging.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Interesting that we dispute the claim by uefa we lost £138million and that losses although big aren’t that number … 

No-one is disputing the 118m loss as per the UEFA document.

As pointed out above, 25m of that loss doesn't count for PSR purposes leaving us with 93m PSR/FFP loss for the year.

We are all just trying to work out what that means for 23/24 and this summer which is where the differing views are.

• Thanks 1

Over the last couple of years, FFP/PSR has become more complicated than pretty much anyone can keep up with - it's always had an element for financial chicanery, but it's now so densely complex that you'd need the books, the plans, the accountants and access to the Premier league management and UEFA teams to have any clue.

I won't be surprised if we're somehow compliant with both UEFA and the Premier Leagues rules despite also reporting losses that say otherwise.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Over the last couple of years, FFP/PSR has become more complicated than pretty much anyone can keep up with - it's always had an element for financial chicanery, but it's now so densely complex that you'd need the books, the plans, the accountants and access to the Premier league management and UEFA teams to have any clue.

I won't be surprised if we're somehow compliant with both UEFA and the Premier Leagues rules despite also reporting losses that say otherwise.

Most definitely this. The one thing that our owners are is highly successful driven business people they do not make mistakes like this and hire the very best people to make sure of it 

9 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Looking at the numbers I'm pretty sure we will need to generate some profit in June.

In 2023 season we made a loss of £118m. minus £25m ffp allowable expenses that gives £93m ffp loss for last season.

93-24 = 69m ffp loss, which leaves us with  36m allowable loss to play with this season.

To get to 36 from 93 we need to reduce our losses this season by £57m in comparison to last season.

Have we done it so far? I know our revenue have went up but so our expenses (diaby and Co ain't cheap). I really feel we are short and we will see someone sold in June. I hope I'm wrong and we can somehow scrape through, but the numbers are not encouraging.

If we believe the £93m as taken from the UEFA presentation. How much was Gerrard and staff payoff and Emery buyout? £15m in total?

We then banked £40m in ffp profit and removed Ings wages and amortisation completely (£15m per year). I think Wesley had been impared off balance sheet hence him leaving permanently in summer (£6m). Young leave (£4m), Coutinho wages removed (£7m). Loans for Dendonker, Sanson.

Then Conference League money, increased commercial and sponsorship deals. We've Watkins and Bailey new deals lowers Amortisation.

So lets say we need to turn 90m loss into 40m. 

we've got 15m for manager change, say 8m from Ings (as was half season). 6m from Wesley, 4m young, £5m for new contracts in amortisation saved, say £5m from Dendonker/Sanson/Traore. £25m additional for the player sales and saved wages saved covered. That's up to an 68m swing so we're +18m

Then Diaby, Torres, Tielemans etc.. is 30m a year in amortisation + wages. Loans are covered by insurance lets say. So we're needing 12m in additional revenue. Covered already by ECL and then more by PL prize money, plus match day, commercial, etc.. I'd say we're +40 there. So comfortable in PSR and not so in the 2 year loss of €80m allowable by UEFA by June ME

9 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

I dont believe the club would have risk needing a June sale to comply. We spent money in Jan when we didn't need to (the incomings won't really feature). 

Its likely Archer could come back onto the books and potentially zaniolo if we trigger a purchase. 

When I stack up those things we just wouldn't have made those purchases if we were so tight. I just don't believe we would gamble like this

• Like 1

Always promising when you have a huge article about announcing your financial accounts and there's no mention of the losses for the year until the very last sentence...

Edited by wishywashy
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

… And then it disappears.

For some reason, you can access it just fine if you go through the Villa website to get to it, but it'll Error 404 if you click a direct link to it or even refresh it...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Always promising when you have a huge article about announcing your financial accounts and there's no mention of the losses for the year until the very last sentence...

If I made the biggest loss of all clubs in Europe I would also leave it to the last sentence 😊

• Haha 1

I’m no expert but isn’t the total loss you’re allowed spread over a rolling three years? 

The net result of these changes is that the Club has reported a loss for the year of £119.6m after tax. This compares with a small profit of £0.3m in the prior year.

Apparently we have £56m of that £119m which can be deducted as it’s a Covid cost. 

Â