Matty Cash

paul514

On 12/06/2022 at 03:25, Dodgyknees said:

He can, it’s “all of them”

Bonkers isn't it.  Then Southgate bemoans the fact that the team isn't creative enough.  Perhaps it's because he has three right backs on the bench every match while sticking two defensive midfielders in the team, with Mason Mount in front of them..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Bonkers isn't it.  Then Southgate bemoans the fact that the team isn't creative enough.  Perhaps it's because he has three right backs on the bench every match while sticking two defensive midfielders in the team, with Mason Mount in front of them..... 

Southgate the only bloke who selects his front 4 based on how well they press. Or in Sterling's case their tap in ability.

He doesn't seem to grasp the concept of picking players who can actually dominate the ball, so pressing wouldn't be needed as much.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking this when watching a tifo IRL video. I hope we see a few more tactical tweaks now there is a full pre-season. Cash might be better making underlapping runs into the space where the right sided 10 should be as he still isn't the best at crossing the ball but he has a good shot on him and can cut balls back. If we played with a wide forward like say Bailey or Traore on that side. Cash doesn't have to be the player to provide width like Digne does so well on the other side. He can choose to tuck into McGinn's position and allow McGinn to get into the box with a Bailey out wide. 

At the same time this gives Coutinho / Buendia whoever is playing in the left side 10 position a bit more space to operate in and it's harder for the opposing team to defend. A Bailey/Traore on the right can attack with ball at feet better than Cash can. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I was thinking this when watching a tifo IRL video. I hope we see a few more tactical tweaks now there is a full pre-season. Cash might be better making underlapping runs into the space where the right sided 10 should be as he still isn't the best at crossing the ball but he has a good shot on him and can cut balls back. If we played with a wide forward like say Bailey or Traore on that side. Cash doesn't have to be the player to provide width like Digne does so well on the other side. He can choose to tuck into McGinn's position and allow McGinn to get into the box with a Bailey out wide. 

At the same time this gives Coutinho / Buendia whoever is playing in the left side 10 position a bit more space to operate in and it's harder for the opposing team to defend. A Bailey/Traore on the right can attack with ball at feet better than Cash can. 

I hope so too. I suggested something like this a while back (I think in the tactics thread), but with Cash tucking in as one of the 8's and playing Ramsey on the right of the middle 3. Who goes wide then depends on the situation. Either Ramsey or the 10, let's just say Buendia. It stops Cash having to do the things he's not so good at such as dribbling and crossing and frees Ramsey of his holding and covering responsibilities as an 8 in this system, but still keeps the 3 in midfield.

Edited by sparrow1988

I think Cash is one of the best defenders we have at the Club. So maybe a tactical tweak that doesn't totally rely on him crossing the ball from wide positions. Teams will block the centre and force more balls down our right side and if we don't have a tweak tactically for that we might struggle in some games. 

Another is kind of linked to Liverpools issues with their 5 man attack, sometimes a 6 man attack is needed and almost a 4 2 3 1  with the fullbacks still getting forward with the front three but they played Firminho just behind them as a 10. 

If we had say Watkins Ings Bailey, or Coutinho Watkins, Bailey or any front three combination essentially. Digne and Cash still outside them but a Buendia or Coutinho as a 10 behind that line and then Kamara / Luiz / McGinn as a 2 in front of 2 CBs. This gives us the extra man to break down stubborn teams. 

I hope we see more tweaks to the core system and utilise Bailey/Traore with a tweak to Cash. 

On 14/06/2022 at 08:13, Tom13 said:

But discussing Cash for England is pointless. He's far down the pecking order, and rightly so.

And plays for Poland, and if we could take one of their players it’d be Lewandowski.

Actually Southgate probably would want their right back I suppose…

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Should be Buendia on the right side - perfectly capable of playing either wide or dropping centrally. Bailey and Traore also would work. We weirdly seem to have taken a position where we have three (relatively) very good players who should all work with Cash’s natural game and struggle to make it fit by asking them to stay more central and him overlap more.

As you say though I am hopeful a preseason will give Gerrard time to work all this through. And I guess especially couldn’t have done much on the above with Traore and Bailey’s injuries last season, so I’m being very unfair.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

And plays for Poland, and if we could take one of their players it’d be Lewandowski.

Actually Southgate probably would want their right back I suppose…

Which is Cash 😉

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

That a record, that.

AKA Leicester were all over us like a rash.......

I would just prefer to have the players to control games better, then we wouldnt be setting records for tackles/interceptions and chasing the game with 30% possession.

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

AKA Leicester were all over us like a rash.......

I would just prefer to have the players to control games better, then we wouldnt be setting records for tackles/interceptions and chasing the game with 30% possession.

SORRY FOR BREATHING! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

That a record, that.

That was a really good battle to watch in that match, Barnes Vs Cash. Barnes was on top to start, think he scored actually, and it was testament to Cash's character that he just kept getting back at him and ended up winning the fight between them and closing off that avenue of attack. 

It was interesting reading Matty's comments and his optimism for the season ahead. He likes the fact that he's encouraged to get forward as much as possible. I think that's fine, but he also needs to be a lot more aware defensively, he was certainly culpable for letting Man City back into that game at the end of last season. I mentioned it last season, he needs to be less impulsive and learn to anticipate what's coming his way. If he can do that, then we will have a decent right - back to boast about. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Interesting to see Cucurella going to Chelsea for £56m plus £7m in potential add-ons. He's the same age as Cash and they have a similar energetic style. While Cucurella is good I'm not convinced he's any better than Cash.

Well then at least we have a ball park figure for when the big boys come calling. Also I think Cucurella is a better with the ball than Cash, although I thought that Cash improved in this area towards the end of the season.

Â