Matty Cash

paul514

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Palace and West Ham both need right backs and usually have that sort of money to throw around and I think Cash would do well in those teams where they play a less technical game than us.

I still think Cash is a decent player and certainly Premier League standard, just not top 4 level which is where we're trying to get to. People saying he's a Championship player are way off the mark, they must be confusing him with Chambers. 

Yes I think Cash in a more traditional winger/overlap system would do well. The role here just doesn’t suit him very well. 

• Like 1

He's still scored 4 goals this season so it's not as if he hasn't contributed.  It could go either way, we sell as him as the FFP would be good or we use him as a bridge between Konsa playing RB before Kosta settles in.  We could spend the money elsewhere if we did that.  Anyway I trust Unai and Monchi to get it right.

Matt Cash is fine.

Yea he's a bit frustrating with how safe he generally plays, but even if he passes square or backwards, at least he's not giving the ball away.  I understand it's annoying when moves seem to break down because of him, but there are lots of examples of that being the case with the rest of the team.  

I'd argue we waste more time with the ball at Emi Martinez's feet, waiting for a low block team to press him, than Matt Cash does passing the way he does.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Let's give Kesler a go

I think despite Cash's deficiencies - Kesler is a way worse defender in almost every aspect than Cash.

That Cash doesn't fit in Unai's system is not particularly his fault. He would do well at a Palace or even West Ham as others have said - a mostly out of possession counter-attacking threat overlapping a winger.

But just because he doesn't necessarily fit into Unai's system doesn't mean he's all of a sudden worse than an academy defender. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think despite Cash's deficiencies - Kesler is a way worse defender in almost every aspect than Cash.

That Cash doesn't fit in Unai's system is not particularly his fault. He would do well at a Palace or even West Ham as others have said - a mostly out of possession counter-attacking threat overlapping a winger.

But just because he doesn't necessarily fit into Unai's system doesn't mean he's all of a sudden worse than an academy defender. 

This, really. Cash ideally needs to be playing for a high-tempo team where he doesn't need to be in possession all that often because that's the weakest part of his game - concentration, composure etc.

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Cash was voted player of the season 18 months ago. He will be fine stepping in for Konsa.

Because the only part of Gerrard's system that worked was Matty Cash getting forward. That RB/RCB hybrid role isn't what he's good at, he's still the same player as before but the job is a lot different now and he's just not very good at it. It's why Kamara drops in at RB when we have the ball and he goes to what is basically RM. 

Took a look at his starts last season under Unai after the WC. He did miss a fair bit either through injury or beaten out by Ashley Young, but the stats themselves are fine.

He started 9 matches - 4W-3D-2L

Granted, he had Konsa and Mings on the back line but think he will be fine for a few matches.

The 4 wins were Everton, Palace, Bournemouth, and Brighton.

Edited by DJBOB

The problem isn’t that Cash is a poor player. That’s not the case It the issue is that Konsa is such a good player! It’s same with as Torres and Lenglat. The players coming in can do a job but the drop off in quality is unavoidable.

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The problem isn’t that Cash is a poor player. That’s not the case It the issue is that Konsa is such a good player! It’s same with as Torres and Lenglat. The players coming in can do a job but the drop off in quality is unavoidable.

No he isn't a poor player, he just isn't suited to our style of play. Unai knows that Cash is not great when tactics need us to play that way. Hence Unai preferring Konsa.

So will we see Unai tweak the way we play? 

I'm done. 

I don't think he has the ability to adapt or become a better player like others have under Emery. 

Constantly out of position, you could get the entire Holte End crowd into the constant space he leaves exposed and when he does get into the other half all he wants to do is that stupid chop then pass backwards. 

We have to find better, as Ezri & Pau is our starting CB pairing once they are both back fit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Bit unfair to just single out him. They have all been off it.

Ain't just tonight mate, I think he's been woeful for months and months but when the team plays well, it masks it a bit. 

• Like 1

Certainly harsh to single him out today, he has been one of multiple poor players

Thst said, Cahs is absolutely not good enough, he is really poor on the ball and is poor defensively, he cant hold the high line and reads the game poorly. Credit where credit is due though, he does put in a shift, id aay he is very similar to Hutton  

Â