Matty Cash

paul514

Just now, Tom13 said:

Scapegoat? Really?

Look at the post I've just replied to below. I know Ash is a bit OTT but stuff like 0/10 and worst RB we've ever had. It's nonsense considering he's started so many games in 2023.

If you want a terrible RB performance look at Chambers in Warsaw and since then he's deservedly barely had a kick. Cash has his poor games but he's never sunk to that level.

Not even sure what goals he was at fault for as perhaps second he should've come across but you'd be fully expecting one of the CBs to actually mark Jackson and they were both completely useless at it.

Crossing isn't great but he could've had a nice assist for McGinn.

• Like 1

Memories of a special evening with Cash as an attacking midfielder

Plymouth-Dagenham-230416-TGS018.jpg

Dagenham & Redbridge would win 3-2 with Cash getting an assist and this stunning goal from 25 yards

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Look at the post I've just replied to below. I know Ash is a bit OTT but stuff like 0/10 and worst RB we've ever had. It's nonsense considering he's started so many games in 2023.

If you want a terrible RB performance look at Chambers in Warsaw and since then he's deservedly barely had a kick. Cash has his poor games but he's never sunk to that level.

Not even sure what goals he was at fault for as perhaps second he should've come across but you'd be fully expecting one of the CBs to actually mark Jackson and they were both completely useless at it.

Crossing isn't great but he could've had a nice assist for McGinn.

People want someone to blame when the real issue is systematic. 

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Up to December he's started 90% of the games under Emery in a very well drilled and functioning defensive unit.

I'd say that's better than plenty of the jokers we've had in that position since Delaney retired in 2006.

The majority of that well drilled and functioning defensive unit is currently out injured, and Cash is getting exposed on a weekly basis. Was he the worst player last night? No. But he’s had more poor performance than better ones this season.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Feels he's a bit of a scapegoat. He wasn't amazing tonight but there were plenty who were miles worse (Kamara, Tielemans and the two CBs).

Was like Moreno, just got caught upfield too often and exposed on the counters.

Hit a really nice cross in second half that McGinn looked certain to score but it got blocked.

The difference is, Moreno carries a huge threat up field, so you can forgive him being there. Cash consistently kills attacks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Why do we look better with Konsa there?

Konsa also does a great job of reverting to a CB to help Lenglet/Diego out. Cash doesn’t do that, so it’s not just a formation issue. I don’t like Ezri at RB. But he is still a better defensive option as it allows us to be more compact. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Because he stays back. 

The instruction is for Cash to get forward. I hardly think Cash is going rogue and going forward against Unai’s instruction. 

My bone to pick with Unai is to play Cash the same way he does Konsa and live with the results instead of trying this Cash forward and Kamara back system which has failed miserably. 

4 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Na his part of the problem not good enough to take us further.

He's been a regular in a team who's finished 7th and barring a total disaster will finish higher this season.

First world issues I think.

Cash and Leon nullify each other - it doesn’t work and we play worse when they are paired together 

Cash will either run into Leon's lanes, he won't track back as much to cover Matty or Matty simply won't pass forward to him enough 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Konsa's been brilliant for pretty much all season. However he was right back at Old Trafford on Boxing day and was just as exposed v Garnacho in that second half as Cash was last night and could do little about it.

Just now, The_Steve said:

Cash and Leon nullify each other - it doesn’t work and we play worse when they are paired together 

Cash will either run into Leon's lanes, he won't track back as much to cover Matty or Matty simply won't pass forward to him enough 

The issue there is Cash will go on the overlap when he passes to Leon. One frustration still with Leon instead of passing back or cutting inside on his left to get a shot he'll go into the box and attempt to dribble past 2-3.

If that dosen't come off he'll come back inside and by then Cash has gone offside or he's being marked himself so that's why moves break down.

With Man. City they've perfected it, midfielder coming inside either gets a shot in or quickly passes to the overlooking FB and then waits for the cutback.

Think he just needs to be told to not overlap or try to get forward unless we're in the final third of the pitch. Otherwise just mark the space and concentrate on defending. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Think he just needs to be told to not overlap or try to get forward unless we're in the final third of the pitch. Otherwise just mark the space and concentrate on defending. 

This alone would really help our structure. 

I feel like Unai and Cash sat down in the beginning of the year and had a talk and tried to focus on his attacking output. And to be fair, he has a handful of goals and assists for not being a nailed on starter. 

But we’re in an injury crisis right now, so Unai has to get over this Cash can’t defend theory he has in his head because it’s surely not going to be Moreno forming a back 3. 

Have Cash stay back, keep Kamara in his natural position and stop trying to do a complicated synchronization mid game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Because he stays back. 

The instruction is for Cash to get forward. I hardly think Cash is going rogue and going forward against Unai’s instruction. 

My bone to pick with Unai is to play Cash the same way he does Konsa and live with the results instead of trying this Cash forward and Kamara back system which has failed miserably. 

Is he also instructed to just jog back when an attack breaks down and we lose possession?

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Is he also instructed to just jog back when an attack breaks down and we lose possession?

I'm sure not - but far from the only one guilty of that last night.

I think has our aspirations increase certain players will be found out in terms of their limits. Alas, Cash is, imo, one of those players. He was as woeful as can be last night, and it's becoming a regular occurrence, hence, the preference for Konsa to fill that position, and that doesn't help because he is our best defensive centre - half and we are a much better side when him and Torres are side by side. 

I would honestly be tempted to play the young Hayden on Sunday, regardless of the importance of the game. He couldn't be worse than that performance from MC last night, it really is time to give some of our promising youngsters the chance to impress. The same with Kadan Young, why continually have him on the bench and then be reluctant to play him?

We need to see some bold decisions from Emery, it's all becoming a bit too samey, samey.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I'm sure not - but far from the only one guilty of that last night.

They was all guilty.....but selecting the examples of poor play by one player, is not suggesting they are the only ones......its just a poster, illustrating, what are probably bona fide observations....He would be here all night doing them all.

also, to say they was all guilty, does not exempt one, either.

Â