Matty Cash

paul514

He's too inconsistent and not good enough for where we want to be. He's progressed well from his early days and has given us plenty of good moments. 

He's seriously frustrating a lot of the time but he also helps us stretch teams.

We need far better but this tearing him a new asshole doesn't sit well. It's easy to forget the good stuff.

We've outgrown him.

• Like 1

So when we have a fast counter, Bailey is wide open down the right, cash gets the ball, you genuinely think it’s coaching that he ignores a wide open Bailey to check back to Konsa? 

maybe when we’re against teams sat in a low block, sure. But it isn’t only then. 

also literally no one else who plays full back for us does the same thing 

he’s just so limited. I’d forgive his appalling attacking talents if he was good at the back but we also consistently get shredded down his side 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

So when we have a fast counter, Bailey is wide open down the right, cash gets the ball, you genuinely think it’s coaching that he ignores a wide open Bailey to check back to Konsa? 

maybe when we’re against teams sat in a low block, sure. But it isn’t only then. 

also literally no one else who plays full back for us does the same thing 

he’s just so limited. I’d forgive his appalling attacking talents if he was good at the back but we also consistently get shredded down his side 

It's definitely tactical and it asks the questions do we want players to take responsibility or do we want them to follow instructions to the absolute letter of the law constantly.

I suppose it is the latter nowadays. You train meticulously to follow the instructions on a match day because that's the plan and it's ingrained and will yeald the most points over the season.

...but you're 3-1 down,  Bailey is absolutely murdering people everytime he gets it. There's 10 minutes left.

Just get the **** ball to Bailey. 

Im also not sure why only Matty Cash gets this excuse made for him. Diaby gets pelters yet it’s clearly tactical that he plays with no space as a 2nd striker rather than to his strengths. 

It’s been clear for months and months that it’s not just sticking to tactics with Matty. There’s been plenty examples of him getting forward or putting crosses into the box. But also, that his decision making lends more to him playing it safe more often than not. Unai has tried him at a more advanced positions with mixed results. And playing Ezri at right back does more harm to the team. Unai rates and respects him. But he’s not going to be taking us to the next level. Good to have in the squad, but I don’t see the improvement Unai got from others. 

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Like Cash saved us a couple times last night. But on the ball lacks a bit of extra quality.

He gave ball away for corner that caused

goal and then gave away again for 3rd goal.  The amount of times he jogged back after loosing it pissed me off far more than his performance 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

He gave ball away for corner that caused

goal and then gave away again for 3rd goal.  The amount of times he jogged back after loosing it pissed me off far more than his performance 

Fair points. But the corner was defend poorly. That wasn't his fault. The second goal was very fortunate for Newcastle. The 3rd goal we was on him he should have turned back after looking like he was passing back. 

He still a crucial interception, and a couple of important tackles. 

The third was his quality in possession not being quite at the level we need in tough games.

Edited by Philosopher

Not really sure how he was ever a winger. His delivery is terrible and he clearly can't go past a man. 

It also infuriated me at times yesterday where Diaby or Bailey would make a run in behind when Cash was on the ball and he just wouldn't play it. Kept cutting back inside and playing it 5 yards. Which may be what he's being told to do in all fairness. But it's frustrating to watch. 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Not really sure how he was ever a winger. His delivery is terrible and he clearly can't go past a man. 

It also infuriated me at times yesterday where Diaby or Bailey would make a run in behind when Cash was on the ball and he just wouldn't play it. Kept cutting back inside and playing it 5 yards. Which may be what he's being told to do in all fairness. But it's frustrating to watch. 

Not sure if Cash has lost some pace or he wasn’t always that quick. I think he plays it too safe too often. It’s really frustrating part of our game right now. 

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I do yeah.

And it's really really annoying.

Sheffield Utd at home it was the same. Acres of space both sides out wide, and we purposely drove away from it.

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I do yeah.

And it's really really annoying.

Sheffield Utd at home it was the same. Acres of space both sides out wide, and we purposely drove away from it.

Why is he the only full back who consistently does it? Are we saying Emery specifically tells him to play it safe? And if so, what does it say about Emery’s opinion of him? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why is he the only full back who consistently does it? Are we saying Emery specifically tells him to play it safe? And if so, what does it say about Emery’s opinion of him? 

Konsa does it as well.

I would say bringing back KKH and signing young Ned means opinion of Cash isn't high throughout the club.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Konsa does it as well.

I would say bringing back KKH and signing young Ned means opinion of Cash isn't high throughout the club.

50 times a game? I don’t see it. He’s not a full back and he’s far more ambitious than Cash which is mental 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is what I'm starting to find difficult about criticising player performance. When we don't have an insight into player instructions it can be unfair to go in on them for 'playing poorly'. It could be said that Cash isn't the reason we're playing poorly nor is he the reason he's playing poorly but on the other hand the player could also not be executing the manager's plan.. and Emery sure does cut a furious figure on the sideline at times which says a lot.

F*** knows.

Edited by AV82

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Said it for the longest time, he's a poor player at this level. He's a Championship player.

He's most certainly not a championship player, he was our POTS in the Prem in 2021. 

He's just not good enough to do what we require at the highest levels of the league, which is fine. He will need to be upgraded (Nedeljkovic?) if we want to progress. 

Edited by Steero113

Sadly I think he’s becoming a bit of a scapegoat. He was getting dogs abuse around me in the Holte End, I had to tell a couple of guys behind me to get off his back.

Diaby is the only player last night who stood out as really off his game. All the rest of our team were much of a muchness, Cash included, Bailey was the only one who played to his potential, everyone else was off their game.

Singling out Cash as the weak link is incorrect and unfair on the lad. We have been struggling for weeks and Cash hasn’t even been playing every game. It can’t be his fault when he isn’t on the pitch!

Edited by GeordieVillan

8 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Sadly I think he’s becoming a big of a scapegoat. He was getting dogs abuse around me in the Holte End, I had to tell a couple of guys behind me to get off his back.

Diaby is the only player last night who stood out as really off his game. All the rest of our team were much of a muchness, Cash included, Bailey was the only one who played to his potential, everyone else was off their game.

Singling out Cash as the weak link is incorrect and unfair on the lad. We have been struggling for weeks and Cash hasn’t even been playing every game. It can’t be his fault when he isn’t on the pitch!

ye, but he is rubbish aint he.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

ye, but he is rubbish aint he.

I don’t think he’s rubbish. I think he’s going to be a part of this squad for the foreseeable future and will improve under Emery in the next 12-24 months.

2 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I don’t think he’s rubbish. I think he’s going to be a part of this squad for the foreseeable future and will improve under Emery in the next 12-24 months.

He was one of our better players yesterday.

• Haha 1

Â