Forgotten Obscure & Odd Transfers

BleedClaretAndBlue

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Richard Wright and Scott Carson have also been reserve keepers at Man. City in last decade. Indeed Man. City signed Carson on another season long loan a few days ago!

A cheap way to help them meet the English player quota. 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 16:58, Wainy316 said:

Bloody hell I forgot all about that project.  What happened to them?

Some have already added bits but yeah, playing in the third tier of Russian football now (three wins out of fifteen matches last season before it was cut short). Almost had to declare bankruptcy last year.

Easy to forget that Willian played for them for a short while, too. Another big transfer.

On 21/08/2020 at 09:09, sne said:

Mascherano and Tevez to Wet Spam was quite the mess. Kia Joorabchian the man of the moment.

This one sprung to mind for me. I remember waking up and reading it online and genuinely thinking it was a mistake!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Their debut was against us wasn’t it? 

I can't remember actually. But I remember they were really shit for quite a while!

It was so dodgy though. They were getting linked with all sorts of huge clubs and then ended up at West Ham. It stunk

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Their debut was against us wasn’t it? 

I think it was Petrov debut as well. If I remember only Tevez started and Mascherano was never really wanted when they had Reo Coker ;) 

I think was a quote from either Pardew or Curbishley stating they didnt know who Mascherano was before he signed 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think was a quote from either Pardew or Curbishley stating they didnt know who Mascherano was before he signed 

That would be a bit weird as it was one of the biggest transfer sagas around that year. Everybody knew who they were.

So I can only assume it must have been Pardew ;) 

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think it was Petrov debut as well. If I remember only Tevez started and Mascherano was never really wanted when they had Reo Coker ;) 

Yeah, I recall one or both of them started on the bench which made it all the more bizarre. Probably trying to play down what a (dodgy deal) coup it was 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I recall one or both of them started on the bench which made it all the more bizarre. Probably trying to play down what a (dodgy deal) coup it was 

I think towards the end of the season Tevez stared and kept them up, Mascherano was replaced in the side by Haydn Mullins. Mascherano then left to Liverpool. All very odd

On 21/08/2020 at 12:11, VillaJ100 said:

Nobby Solano from Newcastle to us for a year and back to Newcastle. I'm sure I read a rumour saying he was in gambling debt and needed the signing on bonus from us to pay it

I was quite upset about that one. I thought Nobby on the wing giving the supply to Baros would push us to be a top 6 team. Oh deary me.

• Like 1

Â