Forgotten Obscure & Odd Transfers

BleedClaretAndBlue

Oscar and Ramires to China. Both quality players who always got treated slightly unfairly for Chelsea (particularly Ramires as he'd put in top performances in every position he was forced into only to be benched the following week)

Oscar was one of the few bright sparks for Brazil in 2014 too. Both completely disappeared from relevancy now

11 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Moustapha Salifou from FC Wil (Swiss second division) to Aston Villa. WTF?

More baffling is how he stayed at Villa for so long. 

4 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Oscar and Ramires to China. Both quality players who always got treated slightly unfairly for Chelsea (particularly Ramires as he'd put in top performances in every position he was forced into only to be benched the following week)

Oscar was one of the few bright sparks for Brazil in 2014 too. Both completely disappeared from relevancy now

Oscar has has spoken about it a few times, he made no secret of the fact he was from a very poor background and wanted to make as much money as possible in his career to send back to family in Brazil. He just followed the money. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Xherdan Shaqiri to Stoke

Bojan Krkic to Stoke

Dmytro Chygrynskiy to Barcelona

Shaqiri always seemed to me like a stepping stone move, just took longer to get to Liverpool than he probably thought

Bojan I saw score in the MLS the other night

I think both of them were overrated when youngsters playing for big clubs and Stoke was actually their level... 

Chygrynskiy was a proper weird one though, shakhtar were a good team, he was a decent player at best but his face never ever fit there, not even close, in terms of playing style, who he was replacing, rosell using him as an example of laportas bad spending, everything about it was a non starter 

2 hours ago, Greenfly said:

John Stones to Man City. I have no idea what they ever saw in him.

a] he was young, seen as 'on the up' and helped the homegrown player quota, and b] he was seen as a confident, ball-playing centre back who wouldn't panic with the ball at his feet while playing a high line.

I'm not saying it was a good signing or that it's worked out, but it wasn't completely random.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

a] he was young, seen as 'on the up' and helped the homegrown player quota, and b] he was seen as a confident, ball-playing centre back who wouldn't panic with the ball at his feet while playing a high line.

I'm not saying it was a good signing or that it's worked out, but it wasn't completely random.

The price tag is the issue at £50m. At £10-20m people may have been less critical. For £50m even in today’s market you should be signing a sure thing, finished product.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The price tag is the issue at £50m. At £10-20m people may have been less critical. For £50m even in today’s market you should be signing a sure thing, finished product.

Clubs know Man City have infinite funds; they almost always get rinsed on transfers. Maguire is exactly the same story on the other side of the city.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

he was making mistakes at Everton that it was pulled up a few times by pundits though conveniently they blamed Martinez and not Stones

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he was making mistakes at Everton that it was pulled up a few times by pundits though conveniently they blamed Martinez and not Stones

I agree that they hype ran ahead of his actual stage of development, yes.

Â