Forgotten Obscure & Odd Transfers

BleedClaretAndBlue

What transfers of the past struck you as unbelievable? Great players moving to obscure clubs you never thought possible. Alternatively awful players who ended up great clubs. Players ending their careers at places you wouldnt have expected. Im sure some good ones will pop up:

Edgar Davids at Barnet

Rio Ferdinand at QPR

Martin Braithwaite at Barcelona

• Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

There is a lot behind that one, allegedly involving Fergie, Nani, Mendez and Carlos Quieroz

That’s nothing compared to our shenanigans when bringing in semi-pro tennis player, Michael Boulding though 😂

Perugia signing Al-Saadi Muammar Gaddafi (son of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi). He also signed for Udinese and Sampdoria without playing.

Sure there was nothing sketchy about those deals.

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

What the story there? The Bebe one is a pretty big story of true.

Apologies, I was being a little sarky - I imagine Doug got a couple of free tennis lessons in with the deal to sign Boulding! 

nowhere near the extremely fish smelling deal to sign Bebe. That was akin to an Allardyce-esque brown paper envelope transfer if ever there was one! 

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Perugia signing Al-Saadi Muammar Gaddafi (son of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi). He also signed for Udinese and Sampdoria without playing.

Sure there was nothing sketchy about those deals.

Perugia was owned by a madman at the time, had to take the media heat away from sacking that Korean player for scoring vs Italy 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Apologies, I was being a little sarky - I imagine Doug got a couple of free tennis lessons in with the deal to sign Boulding! 

Doug was looking for premium tickets to Henman Hill 😉

• Like 1

Ruud Gullit to Chelsea in the time when no one knows who they are outside of England. I think that actually started the big revolution at Chelsea, being able to attract the bigger names in football.

Sometimes I wonder whether this is a strategy that would work now at Villa - buying 30+ well known names who still have the engine left to run, but certainly attract other big profiles. I know the money now a days are different

4 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Dugarry to SHA was surprising

and of course Bolton managing to attract the likes Okocha, Hierro, Campo & Djorkaeff

Blackburn had the RB from Real Madrid whos name I forget

Salgado?

Gravesen to Real Madrid to Everton seems to be a common one mentioned when it comes to surprise transfers.

• Thanks 1

You always get some fun transfer when a smaller club is bought by a rich guy. Like when that billionaire bought Anzi Makhawhatever in Russia and signed Roberto Carlos, Etoo, Chris Samba and hired Guus Hiddink as manager.

That didn't last many years :D 

Â