Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 04/02/2024 at 10:58, lapal_fan said:

He was absolutely brilliant last night and Youri should have played him in for what would have been a relatively simple finish from 15 yards.

That said, was noone else really **** off that he didn't take his chipped shot against the post (that mcginn finished) AROUND the keeper?

The keeper was 15 yards off his line and Ollie should have just had a touch and finish.

Very critical I know, but that's the kind of thing that gets you 20 goals 😎

Not at all.  One of Ollie's faults in the past has been that in those positions he has either shot low or tried to beat the keeper.  His lack of a "dink" finish has been discussed here many times.  This allows keepers to set themselves so that they can stay low and then cover either the low shot or the attempted "go around".  The fact that Ollie went for the dink (and tried it badly later on) will start to mean that keepers (and goalkeeping coaches) can't rule that out in the future - so it is one more "option" that they need to cover.  The dink was almost perfect - the only possible criticism was that his instinct was to head to the corner flag to celebrate rather than follow his shot in (but his natural momentum was kind of taking him that way anyway).  But as McGinn covered that off anyway it's a minor point.

As a striker you need to have the keeper trying to cover as many options as possible as it is less likely that he can cover all of them and be trying to cover as many as possible there's more chance he's not perfectly set. 

The reverse is also true at the other end with Emi - he's so good at blocking with either foot, or his body and staying "tall" at the same time that he's always taking options away from the striker - there's no easy way of beating him and so he's immediately putting more pressure on the striker to find a "perfect" finish - which makes it more likely that they'll miss.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2024 at 23:54, PaulC said:

Not much wrong with him. He scored a.goal and had one disallowed ita all about the service. 

It is no doubt....but I thought he was more assertive/aggressive with his own performance...His header off the line, showed it too, commitment and a willingness to hurt the opposition was on show too.

That was a really, good all round performance from Ollie.

When he is in this mood, he is up there with the best around.

His goal, while being challenged, was so easy to miss, it was top drawer and clinical. His capabilities, was clearly on show, in that game.

• Like 2

Well on his way to top his Villa Goals, Assists and expected goals and assists for this season.

Also currently on track for a positive G-xG which is an increase in his finishing ability.

A big evolution on his central positioning. The first image is his 21/22 heat map and showed his contributions in the build up but the second image is from this season and shows the majority of his touches staying in between the penalty box lines to be available to finish and assist.

image.png.d0e4139dac677e21027c824ce0633d22.png

image.png.c18ea8b51b71514f9a6c3073902d7d6a.png

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Well on his way to top his Villa Goals, Assists and expected goals and assists for this season.

Also currently on track for a positive G-xG which is an increase in his finishing ability.

A big evolution on his central positioning. The first image is his 21/22 heat map and showed his contributions in the build up but the second image is from this season and shows the majority of his touches staying in between the penalty box lines to be available to finish and assist.

image.png.d0e4139dac677e21027c824ce0633d22.png

image.png.c18ea8b51b71514f9a6c3073902d7d6a.png

These are very helpful, I think the key is that (as well as being in the box a lot more), the distribution is way more specific. Rather than a vague smattering of activity in the opponent half, he's focusing his availability in three key areas: left corner for square assists, left and centre penalty area, and (this one was a surprise for me) in and around the 10 hole.

The left corner and box make a lot of sense given his G/A outputs. However he's increased his tendency to come deep for the ball in that hole and try to bring others (i.e. Bailey and, less successfully, Diaby) into the game more, and probably activate the 1-2.

47 minutes ago, est1874 said:

These are very helpful, I think the key is that (as well as being in the box a lot more), the distribution is way more specific. Rather than a vague smattering of activity in the opponent half, he's focusing his availability in three key areas: left corner for square assists, left and centre penalty area, and (this one was a surprise for me) in and around the 10 hole.

The left corner and box make a lot of sense given his G/A outputs. However he's increased his tendency to come deep for the ball in that hole and try to bring others (i.e. Bailey and, less successfully, Diaby) into the game more, and probably activate the 1-2.

Yes, his activity in the 10 hole (Zone 14 for the geeks) is a marked change from his previous seasons and a reason for a his assists count. When you look at the compilation for assists, they're not KDB-esque but he's in the right spot drawing defenders and setting up a decent look for Bailey/Luiz/McGinn/Diaby so they all count the same.

The amount of touches he is in or near the 6 yard box as well is another sign of his evolution (almost nonexistent before).

Edited by DJBOB

7 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Ollie is only 24 goals away from breaking Gabby's league record. Can't wait for that day to come.

And it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy and will finally stop Gobby going on about how good he was and knock both chips of his shoulders. 

• Like 3

Poor kid… a shame we couldn’t put in a positive performance and get a result on the day…

Love these sorts of gestures from the club and a bit of wholesome content…

Top guy Ollie.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Why do all the players have their own pens to sign the autograph and then give them to the woman at the side? Wouldn’t it be easier for her to just hand them one pen, and then hand it back

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Why do all the players have their own pens to sign the autograph and then give them to the woman at the side? Wouldn’t it be easier for her to just hand them one pen, and then hand it back

They are special patented pens where the ink lasts forever, you can only get them if your a sporting personality so the woman at the side wouldn't have one.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Haha 1

I love Ollie, but his delivery of good news in that video properly cracked me up.

"You're going to be walking out with me and the boys" like the next line is "I'm so, so sorry".

Poor today, hit the keeper with shots he should be putting away. With Southgate in the crowd that's pretty much him out the squad, old c*ck nose doesn't need an excuse to drop a Villa player 😴

Â