Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

15 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Benteke?

For me peak Benteke was a better individual. We were basically a one man team at that stage and he could be totally unplayable. He dropped off though.

Sadly my main memories of Yorke were at United.

Watkins has always been a player who makes the whole team better with his workrate and physicality but now his finishing and overall gameplay has improved markedly. 

Helps that he's playing in the best team we've had in decades too. 

I think by the time he leaves or retires he'll be considered our best Prem striker. A lot of this team will be remembered as legends in due course because I think we're just at the start of an amazing few years. 

14 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Oh these aren't my thoughts, just some of the more absurd things continually said against the best striker we have had in a long time.

It's absurd.

It's like people are expecting him to score on every single chance or he's not up for it.

This mythical striker that has a 100 % convertion rate and has no faults doesn't exist.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

For me peak Benteke was a better individual. We were basically a one man team at that stage and he could be totally unplayable. He dropped off though.

Sadly my main memories of Yorke were at United.

Watkins has always been a player who makes the whole team better with his workrate and physicality but now his finishing and overall gameplay has improved markedly. 

Helps that he's playing in the best team we've had in decades too. 

I think by the time he leaves or retires he'll be considered our best Prem striker. A lot of this team will be remembered as legends in due course because I think we're just at the start of an amazing few years. 

Watkins is muc h better overall than Benteke was.

With Benteke in your team you had to play a certain way to get the best out of him whereas Watkins would fit into any team and flourish.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

25 goals in all competitions must be his target. He said 20 in the sky interview on Sunday bit I think in all comps he must be aiming for 25.

he already has 9 right? 25 is very doable. It's still October!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Watkins is muc h better overall than Benteke was.

With Benteke in your team you had to play a certain way to get the best out of him whereas Watkins would fit into any team and flourish.

Peak Benteke could do anything and score goals out of nothing. Not sure how we had to play a certain way? He could be used as a target man but was also very strong technically.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Peak Benteke could do anything and score goals out of nothing. Not sure how we had to play a certain way? He could be used as a target man but was also very strong technically.

Benteke peaked and then was average for the rest of his career. Watkins is a better player and soon it will be for longer than Benteke was at his best. 

Oh and Benteke never had the work rate Ollie does, very few do....

I know I am wasting my words with this post but the truth is the truth .....

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Benteke peaked and then was average for the rest of his career. Watkins is a better player and soon it will be for longer than Benteke was at his best. 

The achilles injury ruined Benteke. He was never the same after that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Can’t agree, if truth is the truth then Benteke was the better player because he could do most things Ollie can do plus do things on his own from nothing.  I don’t even think that is a debate…I think some are getting caught up in the moment and not seeing reality.  If Ollie continues and for many more seasons then longevity may sway me to Ollie over Benteke but as of today it’s an easy choice of picking Benteke ahead of Ollie and that’s with Ollie playing as well as he his at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

The achilles injury ruined Benteke. He was never the same after that. 

Possibly, but then there's another strength of Ollie, rarely injured and very durable.

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The truth is the truth 🤣 You get so offended by anyone who dare criticise any part of Ollie's game. He's very effective but he's not perfect is he?

Yes, the achilles injury really damaged Benteke, but for us, on the whole, he was phenomenal.

I'm not even debating who is more effective for the team, as that's up for debate, but as a pure footballer, Benteke is comfortably ahead IMO.

Â