Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you think ref gives against usual teams that get penalties? 

yeah i commented somewhere else that Salah and Bruno definitely get those pens. I still dont personally think that makes it a pen though. 

You see this type of contact all the time in free kicks and corners. Just my personal opinion it isnt quite enough contact, which is probably why Ollie is able to get a cleanish strike away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Not a better footballer? Really? He has much better technique and footwork. Not knocking Ollie, just a fact, at least in my opinion.

Ollie's all-round game is more developed and he's more creative and hard-working than Isak is.

Isak's 4 years younger, which of course goes in his favour, but he's not some deadly striker yet.

58 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watched highlights on YouTube just put in Wolves vs Villa. It was outrageous. Not sure how passes VAR check

I think it falls foul of the absolutely bullshit logic that "he got the shot away" which somehow counts as advantage played

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it falls foul of the absolutely bullshit logic that "he got the shot away" which somehow counts as advantage played

It’s so stupid. It rewards play-acting to the detriment of the game, and then you get players getting booked for simulation… can’t blame them if they have to throw themselves around just to get taken seriously! 

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s so stupid. It rewards play-acting to the detriment of the game, and then you get players getting booked for simulation… can’t blame them if they have to throw themselves around just to get taken seriously! 

Harry Kane has a made a career out of it 

but ,as you say  this is the problem , next time Ollie goes clean through and has his shirt pulled , he hits the deck and a ref  / var decides it wasn't a pen , so we lose the chance of a goal from a shot he could / would have taken ..and potentially see him booked for diving 

its yet another flaw in the game 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it doesn't look like a foul because Ollie got the shot away, if he hadn't shot I think a pen is given.  Another example of being punished for being honest.

Ollies in possession, in the box, and hes pushed in the back and clearly affects his balance, its a foul, no doubt about it, unless pushing players in the back is now in the rules? We need to wise up on the pitch and ask the ref to speak to VAR, if var did look at it whys it not given, let's ask to hear the conversation they had. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Ollies in possession, in the box, and hes pushed in the back and clearly affects his balance, its a foul, no doubt about it, unless pushing players in the back is now in the rules? We need to wise up on the pitch and ask the ref to speak to VAR, if var did look at it whys it not given, let's ask to hear the conversation they had. 

i would guess its because he got his shot off and didnt go down, i know thats silly, as if its a foul its a foul, but you dont seem to get given the pen if you dont actually take the dive.

i think if he allowed himself to be pushed off balance fully and took the belly flop, he would prob have gotten it.

Wrong yes, but an unfortunate fact, he just needs to channel his inner Kane and Salah a bit more.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would guess its because he got his shot off and didnt go down, i know thats silly, as if its a foul its a foul, but you dont seem to get given the pen if you dont actually take the dive.

i think if he allowed himself to be pushed off balance fully and took the belly flop, he would prob have gotten it.

Wrong yes, but an unfortunate fact, he just needs to channel his inner Kane and Salah a bit more.

We don't need to guess, we can listen to VAR explain the reason why, as per the Liverpool offside decision. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Also, we didn't seem to appeal it at all. Watkins looked annoyed, but he didn't make a big deal out of it (and neither did any other players far as I could tell). Maybe they've been conditioned to not be too vocal, for fear of getting a caution, but I reckon the ref & VAR (consciously or not) will take into account the reaction of the players and the crowd. If you don't make a point of claiming something then you're less likely to get the outcome you want.

VARs purpose is to look for clear and obvious errors. It's purpose is not to get the call right. The call on the field will stand unless you have overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  VAR is never going to overturn a single hand push. Same for the Neto penalty shout. VAR reviewed that to and let the call on the field stand. Don't think it was that egregious in the end. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

None of the strikers press or hold up the ball at anywhere near the level Ollie does.

See, I think Ollie's hold up is very hit and miss. Sometimes he's great at it, other times, as highlighted by someone in the Diego Carlos thread, he'll get balls into him and his poor control lets him down.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tinker said:

We don't need to guess, we can listen to VAR explain the reason why, as per the Liverpool offside decision. 

On the television it said he did not give it because he did not give the Wolves one as they were similar challenges and was as such 'consistent ' 🤣

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Harry Kane has a made a career out of it 

but ,as you say  this is the problem , next time Ollie goes clean through and has his shirt pulled , he hits the deck and a ref  / var decides it wasn't a pen , so we lose the chance of a goal from a shot he could / would have taken ..and potentially see him booked for diving 

its yet another flaw in the game 

I think I remember Ollie getting a second yellow for a dive in the penalty area a couple of years ago

23 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

On the television it said he did not give it because he did not give the Wolves one as they were similar challenges and was as such 'consistent ' 🤣

Bloody hell, Neto was hardly touched.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

See, I think Ollie's hold up is very hit and miss. Sometimes he's great at it, other times, as highlighted by someone in the Diego Carlos thread, he'll get balls into him and his poor control lets him down.

I think you are right and this is why Ollie is not an elite striker - He is probably the best that we can realistically expect at our current stage of transition. I think Emery is making him into a better striker, but I think as you say - he will most likely always be let down by his ball control.

But right now he is our main man and one we must be thankful for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â