Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

I wonder is Unai’s plan to spend big on an elite level striker next summer. Paying Ollie that level of wages might impact on those plans.

Not sure about elite, but a proven goalscorer atleast.

I suggested Ivan Toney might have be a good fit if the price was right, but jave since learned he isn't suited here.

There's not many 'Elite' strikers out there at the moment of a decent age, maybe Vlahovic at Juventus? Can't think of many others that wouldn't cost silly money.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Since discovered Toney is a bigger clearing in the woods than I realised.

I don't look at other clubs forums so maybe it isn't just a Villa thing... but what I know about us as a fan base is as soon as a player hits any kind of lull in form, it's in the bin they go...

We are shown time and time again about the ebs and flows of football and yet we never learn the actual lesson...

Douglas Luiz was once much maligned and I bet the same fans are the one's lauding over him now.

Ollie Watkins is still doing incredible work for us, and has racked up goal involvements and won penalties, and lead the line with all he has.

Do we appreciate it, no not enough. We dismiss his body of work and look for answers where there are no questions...

Ollie would start for Chelsea, Tottenham, and would've started for Manure before they spunked big coin on Hojlund.

Yet he is not good enough for us.... 

If those other clubs can't find the golden egg what makes some of you so confident we can?

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

I wonder is Unai’s plan to spend big on an elite level striker next summer. Paying Ollie that level of wages might impact on those plans.

It also has massive implications on what we have to pay those we want to bring in.

I'm not sure if breaking our pay ceiling is the right move just yet.

The lack of a contract being signed, the speed of which Ezri's deal was concluded (it seemed) and various comments that we were looking for an additional forward in the summer do suggest that a landmark striker signing is on the horizon. 

28 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If those other clubs can't find the golden egg what makes some of you so confident we can?

So true, if Man Utd have struggled for a decade and Chelsea in recent times to get a great goalkeeper how will we ever get a gem whose wasted as second string but has the potential to be one of the best in the world like Emi Martinez…

Also true how Chelsea have spunked masses of money on attacking players, how will we attract an elite player like Diaby…

Chelsea, Spurs, Man U and Liverpool have struggled to attract an elite CB so how do we attract somebody like Pau Torres…

😉

Edited by nick76

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So true, if Man Utd have struggled for a decade and Chelsea in recent times to get a great goalkeeper how will we ever get a gem whose wasted as second string but has the potential to be one of the best in the world like Emi Martinez…

Also true how Chelsea have spunked masses of money on attacking players, how will we attract an elite player like Diaby…

Chelsea, Spurs, Man U and Liverpool have struggled to attract an elite CB so how do we attract somebody like Pau Torres…

😉

Except thats not the issue. Issue is the strikers around Europe are not that great that we can pick up some hidden gem that nobody can find

Is the elite strikers and then Watkins is on that next level down

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except thats not the issue. Issue is the strikers around Europe are not that great that we can pick up some hidden gem that nobody can find

You don’t know that.  We picked up Moreno just as a recent example for left back and he’s better than I knew about.  We are just fans…Emery and team may have an option there that maybe right for us but just because we don’t know or haven’t assessed doesn’t mean anything.  Who would’ve known Martinez, a second string GK at Arsenal would be the player he is now just a few years later.  Brighton find gems, Brentford find gems, maybe Emery has a gem or big name he’s after

Edited by nick76

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You don’t know that.  We picked up Moreno just as a recent example for left back and he’s better than I knew about.  We are just fans…Emery and team may have an option there that maybe right for us but just because we don’t know or haven’t assessed doesn’t mean anything.  Who would’ve known Martinez, a second string GK at Arsenal would be the player he is now just a few years later.  Brighton find gems, Brentford find gems, maybe Emery has a gem or big name he’s after

Yet we spent the entire summer and never got a sniff of a striker rumour except a wild Vlahovic rumour

Teams find gems but top strikers arent gems. Everybody knows who the top strikers are. Is nobody secretly popping in 40 league goals in the Albanian league that nobody has heard of. Its why the top clubs are always swapping likes of Morata, Lukaku etc because these elite striker gems dont exist

Real Madrid signed Stoke and Newcastle reject Joselu to replace Bemzema

Edited by Zatman

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet we spent the entire summer and never got a sniff of a striker rumour except a wild Vlahovic rumour

Teams find gems but top strikers arent gems. Everybody knows who the top strikers are. Is nobody secretly popping in 40 league goals in the Albanian league that nobody has heard of. Its why the top clubs are always swapping likes of Morata, Lukaku etc because these elite striker gems dont exist

Real Madrid signed Stoke and Newcastle reject Joselu to replace Bemzema

Maybe the striker Emery wants wasn’t available this summer but might be in Jan or next summer and Emery may know that and wants to wait.  Emery said a couple times since signing Duran he wants another striker.  It’s all just speculation until something happens but just because we can’t think of a striker doesn’t mean Emery and the team don’t have somebody in mind and working on a future deal.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't look at other clubs forums so maybe it isn't just a Villa thing... but what I know about us as a fan base is as soon as a player hits any kind of lull in form, it's in the bin they go...

We are shown time and time again about the ebs and flows of football and yet we never learn the actual lesson...

Douglas Luiz was once much maligned and I bet the same fans are the one's lauding over him now.

Ollie Watkins is still doing incredible work for us, and has racked up goal involvements and won penalties, and lead the line with all he has.

Do we appreciate it, no not enough. We dismiss his body of work and look for answers where there are no questions...

Ollie would start for Chelsea, Tottenham, and would've started for Manure before they spunked big coin on Hojlund.

Yet he is not good enough for us.... 

Unfortunately, I very much doubt that. Not even a sniff of any other teams coming in for him, when many are gagging for a striker speaks volumes.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe the striker Emery wants wasn’t available this summer but might be in Jan or next summer and Emery may know that and wants to wait.  Emery said a couple times since signing Duran he wants another striker.  It’s all just speculation until something happens but just because we can’t think of a striker doesn’t mean Emery and the team don’t have somebody in mind and working on a future deal.

It would be very bizarre if our main striker option was available in January unless he is playing in the MLS or something

Was so many leaks regarding our business in the summer so am convinced any link would have surfaced from the media abroad

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Who would’ve known Martinez, a second string GK at Arsenal would be the player he is now just a few years later.

Me! I was absolutely thrilled at the news of our interest (check the posts!!). On Watkins, if some of the rumoured wages we pay for players who aren't even guaranteed a start, you can understand why Watkins is holding out for his due.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I'm not worried about Watkins form. He has proven he can score in streaks. I am worried about the goals we concede. 

I'm worried about how his lack of technical skills limit us, even when he's scoring. When he's hitting 1 in 12 though, not good at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â