Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

39 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It's the new Mings thread. He has 4 assist in 5 games yet all we here is that he hadn't scored yet. The modern game demands so much more of a striker. That's why a natural finisher like Ings can't get a look in. If you are judging him based solely off of goals scored you have it wrong. 

Goal contributions (goals+assists) matter more than just goals. Anyone that counts goals only is being ridiculous

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

There was a period where he had like 11 goals in 13 games last season. By this logic he would have been on course for 32 goals in a season. That's not how it works. Players can have streaky purple patches, and barren runs, especially strikers. The truth is closer to the middle of these 2 extremes.

I'm not going to judge him on a 5 game goal return, especially when a.) I have a body of work spanning 3 seasons at Villa to reference and b.) he's contributed in other crucial ways including getting multiple assists. Zeroing in on a 5 game run seems to rather be missing the forest for the trees.

Not answering my question (again).

Let's try again (again)... he's one in 12. On course for 3.2 goals for the season (or thereabouts). Content with that?

He was unlucky again yesterday. Should have scored at least one with those two chances in first half , the second chance being where if he’d made any attempt to throw himself at the ball it would have went in . He didn’t play bad, I mean he hit the woodwork from a good effort and won us the penalty , but he’s having one of those dry spells again and his missed chances will hurt us. 

17 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Let's try again (again)... he's one in 12. On course for 3.2 goals for the season (or thereabouts). Content with that?

Content with what, a hypothetical? I mean sure, I guess I would not be very happy with a 3 goal return for the season.

But to be frank, there's no serious discussion to be had on what a player is "on course for..."  using a 12 game run spanning 2 separate seasons. Statistically, it's quite meaningless.

For example, on match week 12 of last season, funnily enough you could have said he was on course for exactly 3.2 goals for the season. It's even a slightly better barometer because at least all 12 of those games took place during the season in question. He ended up finishing the season with 15 goals. So just the 500% more than that early extrapolation.

Like I already said, it's probably more useful to look at his entire tenure here to have a more accurate gauge on how many goals he might be on course for if you're so inclined. Or even his record during Unai Emery's tenure. His records there are 1 in 3 and 1 in 2 respectively. That's if you want to judge him solely on his goal return, which is already a reductive way of looking at it imo, but at least there is more data to work with.

39 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'll bare my *rse in Woolworths window if he ends up on 3.2 league goals this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He was unlucky again yesterday. Should have scored at least one with those two chances in first half , the second chance being where if he’d made any attempt to throw himself at the ball it would have went in . He didn’t play bad, I mean he hit the woodwork from a good effort and won us the penalty , but he’s having one of those dry spells again and his missed chances will hurt us. 

He isn’t unlucky. He is bad at finishing. It feels like every game we say he should have scored, he’s missed chances, etc. Hitting the woodwork isn’t a good effort either, it’s missing the target. He just isn’t good enough. 

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

He isn’t unlucky. He is bad at finishing. It feels like every game we say he should have scored, he’s missed chances, etc. Hitting the woodwork isn’t a good effort either, it’s missing the target. He just isn’t good enough. 

Not good enough for what?

I get the arguments that he works hard and offers more than just goals. The problem with Ollie is that, unlike a player like firmino for example, he clearly judges his own performance by how many goals he scores and the longer he goes without scoring the more it gets in his head and he starts being more and more selfish to try and get that goal, hurting his broader game.

Given we have diaby who works just as hard with an excellent all round game plus end product in the form of goals and assists, I do think that Watkins’ importance is far lower than it has been previously 

Ollie’s finishing is still an enigma and should have easily scored twice yesterday. However, he does also win a crucial penalty and his general play helps bring others into the game. He also seemed to get in Zaniolo’s way at some point. There’s enough to criticise whilst recognising the great things he brings to the team. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I agree he misses too many. Even when he’d score two maybe three you always feel he should have scored another couple. I like him I think he’s an asset to the team/squad and he’s playing well enough for me to think it will come pretty soon . He’s creating chances still and is looking dangerous but yes I know he needs to do his job more and that’s being more consistent scoring goals. 

53 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'll wager a bet with you that Watkins scores more than 4 goals in the league this season.

You'll take it because you think he'll score fewer.

Â