Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

46 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Yes, we all know how you feel 😄.

Out of curiosity - who would you take over Watkins?

I don't know enough about world football these days to say to be honest. Isak would be one but obviously unobtainable. Obtainable - no idea. But I'm not talking about replacements - I'm just saying finishing isn't his only weakness.

7 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I liked that he went and commiserated Zaniolo after missing that chance, rather than giving him daggers because he didn’t square it. 

Trying to butter him up so he gets the pass next time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I liked that he went and commiserated Zaniolo after missing that chance, rather than giving him daggers because he didn’t square it. 

Considering how Ollie has done the same many times, I think he understands the feeling. 

Still got 2 assists and won a penalty in 3 league games. We play with a fluid attacking system, As long as the goals are coming, I'm not concerned with where they're coming from. He's playing well and contributing in attacking output. The goals will come.

• Like 2

Thought he was superb.

His link up and hold up play was brilliant and a huge part to why we won the game.

One of the man of the match for me.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

For his level I think he's been poor so far this season. The first header at Hibs aside I've been really disappointed. Loads of loose touches, wayward passes, and some missed chances.

Good to pickup the assists when playing so badly.

He seems...moody a lot of the time? Even for him.

Hope he gets to sit out v Hibs and come back 100% next week. Liverpool away the sort of game he'll suddenly pop up with a goal. He can bully the shit out of Matip and Gomez.

Keep going Ollie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

For his level I think he's been poor so far this season. The first header at Hibs aside I've been really disappointed. Loads of loose touches, wayward passes, and some missed chances.

Good to pickup the assists when playing so badly.

He seems...moody a lot of the time? Even for him.

Hope he gets to sit out v Hibs and come back 100% next week. Liverpool away the sort of game he'll suddenly pop up with a goal. He can bully the shit out of Matip and Gomez.

Keep going Ollie.

He’s always been a bit of a crank and McGinn alluded that he’s never really happy unless he scores. 

But in general, I think he scores more against the press vs teams sitting back. Back to goal, his link up play has been immense between Everton/Hibs/Burnley, but with so many options inside the box - that lack of natural instinct to find space isn’t there. I would say too that Ollie is making a lot of sacrificial runs, dragging the back line backwards to open up that pocket of space for the cut back. 

Sullen about not scoring but still selfless. 

Think he will have some opportunities against teams that hold the ball more against us. 

• Like 1

I think it was a bit of a typical Watkins performance, gives a lot to the team, his hold up play has improved much, but he also took some too heavy touches and misplaced passes. I think his assist summarised him quite well, a good run, a bit of a heavy touch so it seemed like he had lost the ball, then I'm not sure if he meant going for goal or if it was meant as a pass to Cash, so a bit of an element of luck in that move, too me it looked more like he was going for goal. Not that it makes much of a difference though as it went in. I was a little bit surprised by his body language as well, throwing out his arms at times. 

Now to try to prevent some potential overreactions, simplifying and misunderstanding as in the Bailey thread last weeked - This is not meant to purly focus on the specific move at the pass, whether he meant it or not, that example is part of a larger reasoning.This is also not meant to be a negative rant, I don't think I have written much or any critical comments about him, so it's not part of a critical crusade against him either. I think he is great for us where we are now, I love his work rate, his running and pressing that is so valuable, his goals for us and he has really improved his hold up play. In general I'm not sure if he is good enough for a top four team - which I want us to aspire for, mostly because of his heavy touches and sometimes dodgy passes. As he is such a willing learner I'm quite curious about how he will deliver and continue to improve this season. If he does, which I of course hope, I think he can go on to be our main striker also when we have serious Champions League-places ambitions.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Yeah, he was laughing about it with him which speaks well of team morale!

7 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm not sure if he meant going for goal or if it was meant as a pass to Cash, so a bit of an element of luck in that move, too me it looked more like he was going for goal

But (and noting you are making a wider point than this moment) that’s the most basic thing you teach kids in an attack - hit it towards the far bottom corner, and someone else follow it in for rebound/if it’s going wide. So not sure you can call it luck even if you think it was a shot. And in the spirit of your wider point maybe it’s evidence of people following a plan which is positive.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

Should have had 2 goals (though the second one might have been chalked off for offside). Even Haaland misses sitters, but Ollie seems to have 1 per week. Like he said earlier in the week, if he can clean that up he'll be in the elite bracket.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Should have had 2 goals (though the second one might have been chalked off for offside). Even Haaland misses sitters, but Ollie seems to have 1 per week. Like he said earlier in the week, if he can clean that up he'll be in the elite bracket.

It doesn't matter who scores the goals.

Main thing is getting goals and whether Ollie scores himself or contributes in others scoring doesn't really matter.

• Like 2

He’s currently our 7th highest PL scorer. He’s only 8 PL goals off Dublin’s 48 goals, and then he’ll be third… he’s 34 off Gabby’s 74 total… if he stays for another 3-4 year though he could be our all time top. 

I think the fact he misses the odd sitter, is a fair comment, but sometimes he only get in those positions because he’s very quick, mobile and has a great football intuition. So, although he may spurn the odd chance,  there’s no certainly another striker would even get that chance in the first place.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It doesn't matter who scores the goals.

Main thing is getting goals and whether Ollie scores himself or contributes in others scoring doesn't really matter.

yep

and even then he has a part to play in all 3 goals, assist for the first, lays it off for the 2nd and takes away their CB creating the space for diaby for the 3rd

yes he should score, as always its not as easy as people think but he should score but his general all round play is good enough and its a huge part of our overall attack which at the moment is flying

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

He’s currently our 7th highest PL scorer. He’s only 8 PL goals off Dublin’s 48 goals, and then he’ll be third… he’s 34 off Gabby’s 74 total… if he stays for another 3-4 year though he could be our all time top. 

Not really an achievement though is it.  I mean scoring 40 goals is not a vast amount for a regular team in the PL over thirty years, it says more about Villa’s record than anything else.

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think the fact he misses the odd sitter, is a fair comment, but sometimes he only get in those positions because he’s very quick, mobile and has a great football intuition. So, although he may spurn the odd chance,  there’s no certainly another striker would even get that chance in the first place.

This is a myth, there are plenty of forwards that are very mobile in the PL that would and do get on the type of chances that Ollie does.  

Do they do everything Ollie does? No.  Do they do other things Ollie doesn’t? Yes.  Do they do some things better than Ollie? Yes.  Do they do some things worse than Ollie? Yes.

He’s brilliant for us the majority of the time but he needs quality competition because he does have he off times but it’s a myth about him the only player that gets chances like he does.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Ollie has averaged more than a goal every other game since Unai arrived. He has 6 goal involvements in 4 games (3g, 3a) this season, even though he’s not at top form he’s more than contributing.

Â