Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not that bad at all; you really don't need to be so hyperbolic. He has a middling completion rate with a high assist rate compared to other forwards. 

Not trying to be hyperbolic. I've seen too many fluid moves break down because of him.

I know he also has many strengths.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

If only Buendia could find Watkins more, he'd have more goals!

We were saying the same thing watching in the Holte on the weekend.  Buendia was playing some nice balls to Ollie but he wasn’t reading them.  The previous game they had a minor but obvious disagreement on the pitch as well.  

Those two are struggling to sync with each other.  Ollie either needs to be more intelligent in certain positions or Emi needs to adjust his game to adapt to Ollie not having that kind of football IQ.

Grealish was brilliant and adapted to know how to get the best out of Ollie but we are talking about an elite play maker there that was able to compensate for Ollie’s shortfalls in football IQ.  Buendia is not at Jack’s level but has considerable ability, is it enough to adapt and find that link up with Ollie? We’ll have to wait and see, plus hopefully we get others in to help with feeding Ollie because he has shown he can score if we play to his strengths.  If we don’t he’s limited but you can say this about most players.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We were saying the same thing watching in the Holte on the weekend.  Buendia was playing some nice balls to Ollie but he wasn’t reading them.  The previous game they had a minor but obvious disagreement on the pitch as well.  

Those two are struggling to sync with each other.  Ollie either needs to be more intelligent in certain positions or Emi needs to adjust his game to adapt to Ollie not having that kind of football IQ.

Grealish was brilliant and adapted to know how to get the best out of Ollie but we are talking about an elite play maker there that was able to compensate for Ollie’s shortfalls in football IQ.  Buendia is not at Jack’s level but has considerable ability, is it enough to adapt and find that link up with Ollie? We’ll have to wait and see, plus hopefully we get others in to help with feeding Ollie because he has shown he can score if we play to his strengths.  If we don’t he’s limited but you can this about most players.

To be fair - teams are consistently playing to nullify Watkins either by dropping in their low blocks or making sure they have numbers to 2v1 Watkins.

Watkins has slowly adapted by playing a more CF role and finding the layoffs but even watching - you can see how isolated Watkins tends to be. When Buendia and Watkins are close together - they connect better but it is often Buendia/Watkins in a 2v4 scenario that is not ideal. When he was firing - Watkins was frequently getting 1v1 with a center back and running them ragged. Hopefully against Liverpool and Brighton - we can get them in more 2v2 scenarios in transition. Watkins also likes a goal against Liverpool.

Of course - I still also think he's suffering some newborn fatigue but slowly coming out of it recently.

Edited by DJBOB

Hopefully this one doesn't cost us, but getting Ollie off pens is a good thing for us long term.

Near-on the opposite sort of player you want taking them.

Technique. Composure.

Of the current squad, I'd go Doug, Kamara, Buendia and McGinn before Ollie.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

You’d hope that would be it for him taking pens, get Luiz on them, apart from the missed pen thought he ran the line well and put konate under pressure all game

I thought Konate won that battle easily, I was a bit disappointed with Ollie today, he needs to vary his game a bit when he’s in games like that and what he’s doing isn’t working.  Not about scoring but about providing an outlet or be more of a menace than he was today.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Hopefully this one doesn't cost us, but getting Ollie off pens is a good thing for us long term.

Near-on the opposite sort of player you want taking them.

Technique. Composure.

Of the current squad, I'd go Doug, Kamara, Buendia and McGinn before Ollie.

Ramsey got mentioned in another thread, he is a very accurate and clean striker of a ball from near the edge of the box.  Could be our new Milner or Barry.

On 18/05/2023 at 09:48, DJBOB said:

Of course - I still also think he's suffering some newborn fatigue but slowly coming out of it recently.

I really hope you're right about this, as opposed to it being a case of his confidence being too fragile. After his brilliant recent scoring run it is now six PL games without a goal. From one extreme to the other suddenly.🙁

About his penalties I think he's taken five in the PL: scored 3, missed 2? According to transfermarkt.com.

48 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Ramsey got mentioned in another thread, he is a very accurate and clean striker of a ball from near the edge of the box.  Could be our new Milner or Barry.

Pretty sure McGinn could take a decent pen too?

9 minutes ago, robby b said:

I really hope you're right about this, as opposed to it being a case of his confidence being too fragile. After his brilliant recent scoring run it is now six PL games without a goal. From one extreme to the other suddenly.🙁

About his penalties I think he's taken five in the PL: scored 3, missed 2? According to transfermarkt.com.

There are other circumstances I’m sure and maybe it is all just a coincidence but his form fell off a cliff with the firstborn too. 

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Ollie has done wonders for us 2nd part of the season but, you know what? We need a better striker if we really want to make progress. I love the guy but he is not much more than good mid-table level.

completely agree.

He's a good striker for sure, but he isnt good enough for the starting 11, if we want to go to the next level.

Â