Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 11/11/2022 at 16:03, AV82 said:

I'd bin him off for that alone.

Watkins works really hard, what more do you want?, is it really that important for a player to be able to control and kick a ball properly?

Watkins works really....really....really hard!

Watching that Yo-Yo test video from the official site, you can see why all the managers we have had pick him every week. If Unai can help him improve the elements of his game where he sometimes struggles (touch, finishing) then he will be a very effective player for us in this new era.

22 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Watching that Yo-Yo test video from the official site, you can see why all the managers we have had pick him every week. If Unai can help him improve the elements of his game where he sometimes struggles (touch, finishing) then he will be a very effective player for us in this new era.

Question is, can that be taught?

His finish against United in the cup gives me hope that he’s working on his finishing. It’s the first time I can remember in however long that he’s been put through and rather than just hitting and hoping, he’s thought about it and lifted it over the keeper. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

His finish against United in the cup gives me hope that he’s working on his finishing. It’s the first time I can remember in however long that he’s been put through and rather than just hitting and hoping, he’s thought about it and lifted it over the keeper. 

I’m not convinced finishing can be taught at his stage.  Obviously you can always slightly improve when you are at their level but not taught.  I just don’t think he will get much better in the finishing area of his game so it’s whether we can utilise his other great skills and/or what other players we attain over the coming transfer windows.  I certainly think there is a place for him but I’m not sure what that is, I hope Emery can solve that puzzle.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I think if touch and finishing could be taught, he'd have improved either by now. And it's not just that, it's his general footballing intelligence, which you either have or you don't.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I think if touch and finishing could be taught, he'd have improved either by now. And it's not just that, it's his general footballing intelligence, which you either have or you don't.

I get what you’re saying, and I’m not expecting him to be ‘taught’ how to do things as if he’s being taught from scratch, but if we don’t feel that having a coach like Emery can actually improve our players, then why was there all this clamour for a new coach with the credentials of him in the first place, let’s just buy better players all the time?

Everyone noted about the finish in the United cup game, was that something that had been worked on in training or just coincidence? Normally Ollie goes hard and low there and the keeper usually makes the save.

I’m not saying that Ollie Watkins is going to become a 25 goal-a-season striker with a bit of work, but if he can show that composure he showed for the United goal in even 25% more of his 1-on-1’s going forward, then his goal return will definitely rise.

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

decision making plays a huge part too....knowing when to go, and make that run, its reading of the game and positional sense.....The best forwards get that right.

They are fine elements, to master.

• Like 2

Oliies workrate for me, is not in question......but its all about smart running.

running for running sake, is not the answer......I'm not saying thats all he does, bye the way.

I think Ollie, looks like a footballer, would love to see him improve his numbers.

This game today relies on workrate more than ever and you have to do the hard yards, to be at the top........but you have to think intelligently too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2022 at 10:55, Delphinho123 said:

I think the 'dink' over the keeper is the first time he's done that. As I've said previously I've seen virtually every one of Ollie's 100+ senior goals and I'm pretty certain that he's never scored with a dink over the keeper before. Nor -more significantly - can I recall him *attempting*  one.

The lack of that option previously means when through on goal the chances favour the keeper more than they should. Because the keeper can cover the near post and reach most shots aimed for the far corner. That's why so many other strikers sit the keeper onto the floor to score with a dink. 

Successfully add a dink to his options would be really valuable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried to get it over the Chelsea keeper when he was through. Think he'll continue doing so, but don't know if he will pick the right option.

Not sure he'll have the awareness to know which one to use like Ings regularly does, but at least adding it to the arsenal might chip in a few more goals a season.

It's good to see him starting to try the chip over the keeper and get lift on his shots.

More encouraging, it shows for bloody once we have a manager and coaching staff that can see that as a weakness in him and are drumming it into him to do that on the training pitch and in games.

Not the best game but Villareal have stymied many an attacker. Better latching on the end of a ball than dribbling at defenders.

That will be the real concern for the second half of the season. Lacking natural width through the system and personell - a lot will depend on Watkins and Bailey creating chances 1v1 against the CB's as they will be presented with this opportunity a lot. Both are similar in a way - Watkins better at latching on the end of a ball and bullying through while Bailey can dribble at an attacker. Not exactly a natural two striker pairing.

Unfortunately will have plenty of examples for Watkins to show his weaker side of the game.

Edited by DJBOB

Â